Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I bought my Sightseer new from Hansel RV in Petaluma, CA about six months ago. On our last trip I noticed hydraulic fluid leaking from one of the levelers so, as I also had a couple of other minor things that needed to get fixed under warranty, I called their service dept. for an appointment.

I was told that the earliest appointment would be in 2 weeks (today) at 12:30pm. When I told them that one of the issues was a leaking leveler I was warned that it may take 2 to 3 weeks to get fixed because it takes so long to get parts (why? Are they made on the moon?). I made the appointment anyway and took the unit there today on schedule.

When I got there, the rep again told me that if they had to order parts, it would take at least 2 weeks. Now, I assumed that because I had an "appointment" (after a 2 week wait) that they would look at it today and give me an idea what may be wrong. "Oh no" he assured me "we have so many RVs waiting for service and not enough bays available that we won't even look at it today".

This is where I'm confused--why was an appointment for a specific day and time made, if they don't even have time to look at it? If I made an appointment with a doctor, would I be expected to wait in his waiting room for a couple of days until he had time for me? I don't think so.

I intend to call the service manager and ask him about this, but I wanted your opinions first. Just what does the word "appointment" mean to you?

I hope someone from Winnebago reads this as well, because that type of service would stop me from ever recommending this dealer to anyone.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I bought my Sightseer new from Hansel RV in Petaluma, CA about six months ago. On our last trip I noticed hydraulic fluid leaking from one of the levelers so, as I also had a couple of other minor things that needed to get fixed under warranty, I called their service dept. for an appointment.

I was told that the earliest appointment would be in 2 weeks (today) at 12:30pm. When I told them that one of the issues was a leaking leveler I was warned that it may take 2 to 3 weeks to get fixed because it takes so long to get parts (why? Are they made on the moon?). I made the appointment anyway and took the unit there today on schedule.

When I got there, the rep again told me that if they had to order parts, it would take at least 2 weeks. Now, I assumed that because I had an "appointment" (after a 2 week wait) that they would look at it today and give me an idea what may be wrong. "Oh no" he assured me "we have so many RVs waiting for service and not enough bays available that we won't even look at it today".

This is where I'm confused--why was an appointment for a specific day and time made, if they don't even have time to look at it? If I made an appointment with a doctor, would I be expected to wait in his waiting room for a couple of days until he had time for me? I don't think so.

I intend to call the service manager and ask him about this, but I wanted your opinions first. Just what does the word "appointment" mean to you?

I hope someone from Winnebago reads this as well, because that type of service would stop me from ever recommending this dealer to anyone.

Jeep Wrangler
Gary the Wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

If I have an appointment for a certain day, I absolutely expect them to look at it that day reasonably close to the time I was given or I'll be somewhere else! Since I am a fulltimers, I also make it very clear when I make the appointment that I am a fulltimer, and will not be leaving the rig at their service center while they get around to looking at it.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

my opinion is that service center is messed up...

I would talk with the owner and send him a bill for my fuel that he wasted and then tell him to read this website info to see how his reputation is damamged... sounds like warranty work was last on their list.

Good luck
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #5

My experience with my (large) RV dealership's service department is similar as I make an appointment and leave it there....usually for days...I have no problem with that.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have also had problems like this. We live in our motorhome although not traveling. We currently both have full time jobs. We waited 3 weeks for an appointment to get our slide awnings replaced. Took the day off and then were told they couldn't get it in for repairs. After raising such a fuss with the service manager low and behold they got us in with the agreement they would do one and the other we would come back the Friday after Thanksgiving. After being told it was a two day job for both. We went to pick it up 5 hours later and they had completed both slide awnings. We just would not take no for an answer. An appointment is an appointment. Winnebago needs to know that not everyone can leave their home for days at a time.
The Lavin's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:22 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

When we have an appointment, we expect the MH to be looked at at that time. If they order parts and it is drivable, we bring it home. The last 2 service appointments we had, we had to leave the coach. It came home from 1 dealer with a scratch and the other dealer must have plugged it in w/o our surge pro because somehow our inverter/charger got fried.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I agree with you. An appointment is an appointment and anything not requiring parts to be ordered should be done that day. I had a similar problem with a Ford truck. The dealership made a 7:30 appointment for service. At 2:30 in the afternoon they called me and told me the truck wouldn't be ready till Monday afternoon because the repair took too long. My question was why did I have to be there so early in the morning if they weren't going to look at it until the afternoon? I now question time frame and never make an appointment on a Friday.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I never leave my Moho at the dealer unless they have the parts. I know its not convenient for some of you, yet it can sit at my place just as easy as it can sit at a dealers.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:11 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Possibly I'm the one that delayed your appointment. I have always had my warranty service done while traveling. I stop at a Winnebago dealer, tell them I am currently traveling and they take me ahead of everyone else. Winnebago gives all new coach owners a guarantee that their trip will not be interrupted. I have had to sit at a dealer waiting for parts to be overnighted but overnighting of parts is a part of Winnebago's trip interuption guarantee. ("¢ TripSaver emergency warranty parts shipments)

-Tom
currently parked in Myrtle Beach
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I am really lucky to have such a good independent RV repair shop in my area. I just stop by (I drive by the shop to/from work every day) and tell them what I need done and we agree on when to bring it in. I don't rush them and have no problem leaving the coach there (they have a secure, fenced area). When I've had a need for service right before a trip, they always get the work done when promised. The RV customers for this shop really appreciate them. I always get them something nice at Christmas.

Now, we've never needed any repair while on the road I could not do myself. If that ever happens, just hope we will be able to find a repair shop that will treat us right (or half as good as my local guys).
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

This must be a tactic put out by Winnebago since so many of their dealers pull this crap. I made an appointment for warranty work with the dealer in Tulsa, Ok (6 weeks down the line since I hadn't purchased from them - made no difference my selling dealer quit business), when I got there for the appointment I was told they could only do 3 of the 10 items I had listed since I wasn't their customer, they kept the coach for 3 weeks and the work order showed they only spent 4.8 hrs working on it. The only items ordered were an air horn relay and a rear tail light lens, and they knew what was needed for parts when the appointment was made. Needless to say that dealer if off my list both for service and my next new coach. The only dealer that has ever treated me right was Seventh Heaven RV in Boise, Idaho. We were traveling back to Oklahoma from the West Coast when the leveling jacks quit working. 3 dealers in the Bend, Oregon area and one in Boise, Idaho said it would be 2-3 weeks before they could even look at it and a week to order parts. Seventh Heaven got me in in 3 days (one of those days was traveling to get there), ordered the part overnight delivery, and had me going the next afternoon. I'll probably never see service like that again from a Winny dealer.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:55 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster:
I really doubt that Winnebago ecourages any of its dealers to provide any service that would be less than something you'd be bragging about.

I live 4 miles from a fairly large dealer and will never leave it with them unless it can't move.

An appointment to look at it means just that, not an appointment for them to schedule a look at it. First time they try to use that on me will be the last time I ever darken their door with my shadow.

Jerking me around usually results in my blood pressure going up and that almost always costs someone something. If it cost me a day off from work and then it turns into a waste of time on the dealer's part, they get an invoice for my time. My time is as valuable to me as is everyone else's is to them and it chaps me when someone tries to waste mine for any reason.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote