Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-20-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Walk around this Saturday 10-24

This is my first post glad I found this forum been reading a lot .last Saturday went to a RV show in Pomona CA we found a 2015 ITASCA MERIDIAN 36M.
Good price me and wife pulled the trigger but with stipulation must drive first. Could not walk around the couch to much because there wear like 1500 hundred RV's there. So Saturday should be prep and ready to go, so can any
one on the forum give me some (things I need look for on this couch). It is brand new.I plan on bringing overalls to get under it to check bottom first.Then work around the out side then inside.There will be the guy showing us how to work everything 2hr they say.But I am going to request a mechanic to bee there to (is that a good idea or not?) So hopefully someone can give some pointers what to Look for.I just don't want to see how everything works and drive away.Don't even know how many miles are on it. We are driving back down wear it is and trying to make a check list of things,help would be nice thanks for your time John from CA
ktm525exc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome John. And congratulations on your new coach. I don't have any experience with the 36M. That floorplan is probably Winnebago's most popular and they have been making it for a few years.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

You didn't state whether this is a new unit or a slightly used one. Based on your comment that you want a mechanic to look at it, I would assume that it is used.

If it is new, you can bet that you will find many items that will need attention of the dealer. Unfortunately, you will probably not discover the problems until your first trip. Just plan on taking it back at least once to fix issues and don't fret over it too much. They all have minor issues and it is just part of the ownership package! Of all of the obvious things to have pointed out, make sure that you know where all of the slide out controllers are. Some are buried in cabinets. Knowing their location could save you frustration in the future.

If this is a used unit, I would hire an independent RV inspector to help you with this purchase. The seller's mechanic is only there to make you feel all warm and fuzzy. He has no vested interest in keeping you from making a mistake.

Good Luck
Bill
2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27n, unattractive brownish hue. 530 Watts roof mounted solar, 165 Watts portable solar, Winegard G2 Sat Antenna, Progressive Industries Surge Protector, TPMS, Sirius Satellite Radio.
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Nice coach, be sure to get the build sheet it will give you lots of specifications IE: tank sizes.....Engine-trans mfgers etc...get a good understanding of fuses & breakers since these are usually your 1st step when troubleshooting. Ask how to check oil (and fill location) other fluids as well. Check the manufacturer date of tires & make sure you know the max weight your coach can hold AND tow. If you have leveling Jack's test them & understand how they work. Be sure you know how to monitor dump gray & black tank and fill fresh water tank. Check alignment of all doors, cabinets too. The TV -entertainment systems can be tricky to set up, have them show you & take notes or video tape the walk thru.
Test drive & check cruise control, engine brake ( if equipped) cameras, etc...
I highly recommend buying an extended warranty ask for pricing with various deductibles, they can range from $100-$1000. Read fine print on the coverage a good policy covers everything except belts, hoses, similar to an ext warranty on a car. If you find any issues BE SURE TO GET A "DUE BILL" From the dealer that notes ALL OF THEM.
ENJOY YOUR COACH!!
Old 10-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Wow thanks guys I never did a Pre-Delivery Inspection before. I read some post about problems like the slide unit on these coaches and other things.That is why I would like to talk to a mechanic when there.The coach is new 1.995 miles on her, I found out. Still reading a lot before this weekend what to look for, hope someone that bought this coach
could shear there experience how it went.Thanks again John from CA
Old 10-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

ktm525exc.....

Please see attached PDF I downloaded from another forum.

Best Regards,

Nick
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Th miles are likely the miles put on when it was driven from the factory to the dealer and to the show(s).
Old 10-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Critter has a nice check list for you to go by. Not so sure a hired mechanic is needed since this is a new coach. Go out and use it and enjoy it and be prepared for the little things that need to be addressed during the beginning of it's life.

I bet I know what you like to ride also.
Old 10-21-2015, 04:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Besides the normal prep process of understanding how to operate the various systems, I recommend you not let the wow factor overpower your senses. Look carefully over the exterior and interior for flaws, or travel damage. Check tile flooring for slide roller marks. Check interior woodwork for fit n finish.

I would also highly recommend you plan a trip to the factory near your 1 year warranty mark if your punch lists is large.

Other than a leaking o-ring where the engine oil fill tube enters the valve cover, covered by Freightliner, no issues with the chassis in 40K.

We fulltime, and no major issues with coach, except for water damage in two ceiling cross moldings tracks. This was caused by slow water intrusion from shower skylight. Recommend filling in any valleys with self leveling dicor to prevent standing water.

Oh, and ask how to turn on the windshield wipers. Pulling over in a heavy rainstorm to do this is no fun (don't ask me how I know).

Also check chassis a/c and heat operation.

Like mentioned above, go out and enjoy.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

It was mentioned I an earlier post but I want to add also, take plenty of notes or video it. Take your time and don't let them limit you to 2hr, stay until you feel comfortable with everything. We were at the show also but we're able to escape without buying anything.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
It was mentioned I an earlier post but I want to add also, take plenty of notes or video it. Take your time and don't let them limit you to 2hr, stay until you feel comfortable with everything. We were at the show also but we're able to escape without buying anything.
That is an excellent idea to video the walk-through. I did it when I purchased my first MH 25 years ago and referred to it occasionally.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I just would suggest you and the DW do your own inspection before the dealer appointed person goes over everything.

My last RV trailer I told the owner I needed 45 minutes before what limited walk-thru they were to give. I found a number of small easy fix items in my pre-walk-thru inspection. Most were like: some screws missing on exterior trim, caulk missing at top edge of shower surround, low point drain blocked by bracket.

I did bring cover-alls to look under the trailer to inspect the tracks of the slide. That is when I found screws meant to attach the lower exterior trim were missing at places and there was a 2" wide bracket completely blocking access to the caps for the low point drains.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

your new motorhome

I would plan a trip for a few days right near the dealer location. Might even plan to stay in the parking lot for a day or two. Many dealers will let you do that and lug in. Take the time to lie in the coach for a few days and play with every button and switch available. I sent three day n the paring lot and sent time getting rugs and small items at the local bed bath, lowes and home depot to make it livable. When you go to pick it up take towels and bedding from home along with a box of stuff to make living easy like paper products, eating utensils and live in it. You may only get one chance to have the dealer fix stuff and make sure to look really hard in all the corners. Spend the night reading the owners manual--can be found on the winnebagoind web site. Have fun and enjoy. Make sure to check the tire pressure as it might be a bit high as they usually fill to the max. Check into the camp freightliner course as it in invaluable to learn about your chassis. motordoctor
onholdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Man you guys are giving me some good info thank you so much. We have a lot of notes!
We will be leaving Friday morning to be there by Saturday for the Pre-Delivery Inspectione. Still not a done deal till I drive it and inspect it. That being said what about warranty they are offering?NSD Tire and Wheel,Campers Edge are these good company's to deal with? We are probably gowning to get extended warranty on this coach. Thank you all so much John forum Ca
Old 10-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

You will love it, forget the comments about documentation as you will receive a briefcase with more than you can read in weeks. I go back often and read something - just used the checklist this week to winterize.

There are so many items you will never remember them all

If you plan to add satellite TV make sure they cover that in the walk through including setting the TV's for various inputs
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Word to the wise...

First, and foremost.. CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Welcome to the club.. I hope you have many smiles and miles ahead of you...

While I don't want to discourage, scare or disillusion you... I want you to be the most informed and cautious buyer possible..

Here are my two cents..

1- Absolutely go over the ENTIRE motorhome PRIOR to sitting down when them to go over the PDI (If they aren't willing to let you walk/crawl all over your new RV, without supervision, then something isn't right)...

I would open every door, look under, over, next to and behind everything... if you find one thing not to your satisfaction... have them fix it BEFORE you start the paperwork... then review the fix to make sure its to YOUR satisfaction..

2- This is probably the toughest for new buyers... Absolutely put your mind in a BUSINESS state of mind.. TRY very hard to suppress the emotions and excitement you have.. be prepared to ask for your deposit back and walk away... You have the power over this transaction all the way till you sign off on the paperwork and give them the check.. once that is done, you're just another customer... and the priority of making you happy is gone..

REMEMBER, these are production coaches.. they are not one of a kind.. if something doesn't feel right.. smell right or something in your gut is telling you otherwise... WALK AWAY... New RV's are like golf balls.. they make them EVERYDAY... and I'm sure there is another dealer out there that has one.. or would be willing to order you one for the same deal (if not better)..

3-This is probably the most important.. TRY very hard to leave the dealership WITHOUT any I.O.U's from them.. If you find something not to your standard or expectation.. tell them to fix it..

Likely, they'll try to use your excitement and emotions to get you to sign off on the deal and PAY for it.. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN.. refuse to exchange any signatures and/or money until it is acceptable to you.. WITHOUT an I.O.U. (see #2, be prepared to WALK AWAY)

4- TEST, TEST and TEST... Let them fill it with water and flush toilets, run water from every faucet and shower, start the generator, run the power from a pedestal, run power from the generator, make sure the fridge gets cold, let them hook it to a hose and flush toilets, run water from every faucet and shower... turn every light on/off a couple times... run the slides in/out several times, check the leveling system several times.. take it on a LONG test drive.. maybe 30-60 minutes worth.. Get on the roof, walk around and make sure all the seams have been caulked..

5- Check the batteries.. these have usually been neglected the most.. If the unit is "fresh" to the lot, it shouldn't be a big issue, but if the unit has been sitting on the lot for an extended period of time, make sure they test it and PRINT the results for you (they make battery testers that have printers)...

6- Be prepared to spend whatever amount of time necessary to absorb all the information that is coming your way... don't let them rush you.. according to WBGO, the Meridian has a list price of $277,326, that is no small amount of change, and they should be willing to give you all the time in the world.. someone already mentioned it.. take your phone out and record procedures you're not familiar with..

7- Above all... worth repeating.. DO NOT LET the excitement of this purchase cloud your good judgement..

I sure hope I haven't scared you.. not sure if this is your fist RV or not.. but my heart feels for many of the new RVer's who found IRV2 AFTER they've had the experience from hell.. I don't want that for you.. and while we'd all like to have the feeling the dealer will do the right thing, there are WAY too many stories here telling us that isn't always the case.. The only person who is going to look out for you.. is YOU.. so, be educated and unemotional... remember, this is a business transaction and should be treated as such..

Good luck and let us know how everything went
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post

While I don't want to discourage, scare or disillusion you... I want you to be the most informed and cautious buyer possible..

Here are my two cents..

1- Absolutely go over the ENTIRE motorhome PRIOR to sitting down when them to go over the PDI (If they aren't willing to let you walk/crawl all over your new RV, without supervision, then something isn't right)...

I would open every door, look under, over, next to and behind everything... if you find one thing not to your satisfaction... have them fix it BEFORE you start the paperwork... then review the fix to make sure its to YOUR satisfaction..

2- This is probably the toughest for new buyers... Absolutely put your mind in a BUSINESS state of mind.. TRY very hard to suppress the emotions and excitement you have.. be prepared to ask for your deposit back and walk away... You have the power over this transaction all the way till you sign off on the paperwork and give them the check.. once that is done, you're just another customer... and the priority of making you happy is gone..

REMEMBER, these are production coaches.. they are not one of a kind.. if something doesn't feel right.. smell right or something in your gut is telling you otherwise... WALK AWAY... New RV's are like golf balls.. they make them EVERYDAY... and I'm sure there is another dealer out there that has one.. or would be willing to order you one for the same deal (if not better)..

3-This is probably the most important.. TRY very hard to leave the dealership WITHOUT any I.O.U's from them.. If you find something not to your standard or expectation.. tell them to fix it..

Likely, they'll try to use your excitement and emotions to get you to sign off on the deal and PAY for it.. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN.. refuse to exchange any signatures and/or money until it is acceptable to you.. WITHOUT an I.O.U. (see #2, be prepared to WALK AWAY)

4- TEST, TEST and TEST... Let them fill it with water and flush toilets, run water from every faucet and shower, start the generator, run the power from a pedestal, run power from the generator, make sure the fridge gets cold, let them hook it to a hose and flush toilets, run water from every faucet and shower... turn every light on/off a couple times... run the slides in/out several times, check the leveling system several times.. take it on a LONG test drive.. maybe 30-60 minutes worth.. Get on the roof, walk around and make sure all the seams have been caulked..

5- Check the batteries.. these have usually been neglected the most.. If the unit is "fresh" to the lot, it shouldn't be a big issue, but if the unit has been sitting on the lot for an extended period of time, make sure they test it and PRINT the results for you (they make battery testers that have printers)...

6- Be prepared to spend whatever amount of time necessary to absorb all the information that is coming your way... don't let them rush you.. according to WBGO, the Meridian has a list price of $277,326, that is no small amount of change, and they should be willing to give you all the time in the world.. someone already mentioned it.. take your phone out and record procedures you're not familiar with..

7- Above all... worth repeating.. DO NOT LET the excitement of this purchase cloud your good judgement..

I sure hope I haven't scared you.. not sure if this is your fist RV or not.. but my heart feels for many of the new RVer's who found IRV2 AFTER they've had the experience from hell.. I don't want that for you.. and while we'd all like to have the feeling the dealer will do the right thing, there are WAY too many stories here telling us that isn't always the case.. The only person who is going to look out for you.. is YOU.. so, be educated and unemotional... remember, this is a business transaction and should be treated as such..

If you follow this advice you can't go wrong. This is great, great advice, do not disregard it.
Benicia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post

Here are my two cents..

Eric...outstanding list of "to do's" and "not to do's" ! If followed, the OP and all who read this are much better prepared for entry into the world of RV'ing. Well done!!!

2015 Newmar Ventana 3636, Cummins ISB
2014 JKU Wrangler, SMI AF1, Blue Ox Baseplate and Tow Bar
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jerry & Benicia Tom...

Well OP... How was the "walk around" ???
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote