Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Spudler
Vin # decoding??

I was on the dodge forum attempting to get some info on the Chasis of my Winne" Which is a joke as I have 3 engine questions posted for over a month and 0 replys". I noticed they have a thread on Vin #'s and designations. I.E. Engine size, GVW, etc.
Does Winnebago do the same thing with their Vin #'s. If so where would I go to get the info on what according to vin # was supposed to be included with my MH when it rolled out of factory.
Spudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Have you called Winnebago tech services ? Give them the VIN and they should be able to tell you everything you want to know about your coach.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The Chassis VIN # does not reflect any options built, or installed by Winnebago. It only Designates the things pertinant to the Chassis Manufacturer.

Plant, year, engine, model, and trim level, and unit sequence number.
Winnebago, uses the Serial number that they assign on the tag usually by the drivers position. I'm not sure if there is a way to decode it, but if you need parts, the dealer will need that number. If you need parts for the chassis, that dealer, ie. Ford, Chevrolet, etc. will need the chassis VIN.
To decode the chassis VIN try this link.
Vehicle Identification Number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 06-05-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You are absolutely correct. I have purchased replacement parts on three occasions and the number Winnebago needs is the serial number usually posted on the wall near the driver's area. I made the purchases from Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City IA. Joe
Old 06-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #5

ok the chasis vin # is what is on the title? and the other # I think I found under the arm rest panel on the drivers side. I just looked at the vehicl serial # is the one on the title. so where would I find the Chasis # so I can relay that to Dodge to possibly get info on those parts.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #6

Oh my I am wondering if somehow someone messed up and put the wrong # on the title at some transaction if I am supposed to have a normal Vin# with letters also. I thought the # looked strange because all I have ever seen before had letters in it and even Dodge listed that I should have a M in the beginning of the Vin# designating Motor Home.
I can't even find the #'s on the block to get that info either.
I wanted to re-phrase this so it makes more sense.
I found the Winne Serial # and I see the title lists the same # as Vin #. I am supposed to have 2 different #'s right? A Winne Serial # on drivers side sticker and I am supposed to have a seperate chasis # that I would use for chasis parts from Dodge?
This poor thing has been so torked and abused, I am not sure what is what on it. I just want to be able to get parts an hope to get it operational again as the shell is in awesome shape and looks good too for its age.
I also refuse to be defeated or quit when I start an mechanical/repair project.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I don't know what series Winnie you have but the Winnebago Serial Number on mine is a combination of 12 numbers and letters. All Vehicle Identification Numbers for US vehicles consist if a combination of 17 numbers and letters. You should be able to find a Dodge website and decode the VIN.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #8

I have a 1971 Winne D-20 and my Serial # is 3013206107411. That is on the Winnebago sticker on driver side wall under window.
That is listed on my title as the VIN# but it does not match up to any of the descriptions I have seen for Dodge Vin #'s. That is why I assumed I must be looking for 2 seperate #'s. The Serial # and the the Dodge Chasis # ( ie. VIN # with alpha numeric combination)
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Reference my comments above, this information is accurate for current model vehicles. I did not realize the year and model of your Winnie when I made those comments. That is why you see so many requests for year, make and model when someone asks a question. You would have to get into the older Chrysler/Dodge records to decode your serial number. Obviously it was after 1971 when the industry standardized to the 17 character VIN. Just for kicks, I went back to some old records of mine to refresh my memory on VIN's, a 1936 Dodge I owned had a five digit VIN and a 63 Chev I owned had a 12 digit VIN.

On my '63, the first two digits were also "30" but the next four were model/configuration specific. The next three, I do not know but I do know the last three numbers were the sequence number when it was manufactured. Your Dodge chassis numbering may be the same.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Don't know if this will help, or complicate things, but here 'tis from apx 1993 and later, straight from "the horse's mouth...
---------------------
WINNEBAGO MODEL IDENTIFICATION: De-coding the Model Number
A common topic of discussion is how to interpret the model identification for a specific Winnebago Industries, Inc. motor home. The use of letters and numbers is not really a secret code; they have a specific meaning when identifying one of our vehicles. The following chart helps to explain model identifications for the last ten years of Winnebago Industries, Inc. products. For example, a WKR40TD is a 40-foot Winnebago Tour on a Freightliner chassis. For the most part, the characters used in the first four positions of our model identifications have stayed consistent. The fifth position may have one or two characters, and identifies the floor plan configuration. These model identifications reflect standard equipment, and options such as chassis selection may vary with an individual coach. Your model identification can be found on your coach's certification label as shown in the example below.
FIRST CHARACTER = Division:
W = Winnebago
I = Itasca
U = Ultimate
R = Rialta
SECOND CHARACTER = Chassis Manufacturer:
C = Chevrolet
D = Dodge Sprinter
F = Ford
K = Freightliner
P = Workhorse
S = Spartan
V = Volkswagen
THIRD CHARACTER = Model Type:
1 = 100 Series H-Body Eurovan Camper
2 = 200 Series C-Body Access/lmpulse/RialtalVista/Sunstar
3 = 300 Series C-Body Minnie/Outlook/Spirit
4 = 400 Series C-Body Minnie Winnie/Sundancer
5 = 500 Series C-Body View/Navion
7 = 700 Series C-Body Aspect/Cambria
D = D-Series Sightseer/Sunova
E = E-Series Vista/Sunstar
F = F-Series BravelVoyage/Sunrise
G = G-Series Adventurer/Suncruiser (prior to 2009)
J = J-Series Adventurer (2009)
K = K-Series Suncruiser (2009)
L = L-Series Chieftain/Sunflyer
M = M-Series Destination/Latitude
P = P-Series Journey/Meridian/Horizon
Q = Q-Series Ultimate Advantage/Ultimate Freedom R-Series Tour/Ellipse
S = S-Series Vectra/Horizon
FOURTH CHARACTER = Indicates the approximate length of the motor home
FIFTH CHARACTER = Floorplan
ON THE COACH CERTIFICATION LABEL IS:
- Upper left - date vehicle was mfg by Winnebago Industries
- Top center - Chassis mfg and date chassis was mfg
- Bottom Left - s/n assigned by Winnebago
The 6th character of the s/n indicates the model year
5 = 1995 A = 2000 F = 2005
6 = 1996 B = 2001 G = 2006
7 = 1997 C = 2003 H = 2007
8 = 1998 D = 2004 J = 2008
9 = 1999 E = 2005 K = 2009
- Bottom Center - Winnebago product model name
- Bottom Right - VIN
10th character of the VIN indicates model year of the chassis
S = 1995 Y = 2000 5 = 2005
T = 1996 1 = 2001 6 = 2006
V = 1997 2 = 2002 7 = 2007
W = 1998 3 = 2003 8 = 2008
X = 1999 4 = 2004 9 = 2009
- Bottom Right - Interior base color
- Center - GVWR; GAWR for Frt & RR axles; Suitable tire size; Suitable rim size; Cold Inflation Pressure
Old 06-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #11

OK Thanks FleetMan. This helps point me in the proper direction as I thought maybe I had 2 #'s now I know I am using the proper one and just need to find proper decoding material. I owned a 65 Dart GT and a 70 Duster but I don't remember the Vin#'s or either. I would not of used the Dusters for anything anyway as I had removed factory 318 and shoe horned in a race built 383 and a custom built TF727.
I have some relatives that are MOPAR nuts since the 60's I bet I can find out just about anything I need from them I just thought of that.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to VocalVirgo
The 7th character in my VIN is a "3", and the 10th character is an "X", but I still can't figure out what chassis I have so I can get parts for the from end to stop the terrible tracking...

1999 Winnebago Brave 26P.
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudler View Post
I have a 1971 Winne D-20 and my Serial # is 3013206107411. That is on the Winnebago sticker on driver side wall under window.
That is listed on my title as the VIN# but it does not match up to any of the descriptions I have seen for Dodge Vin #'s. That is why I assumed I must be looking for 2 seperate #'s. The Serial # and the the Dodge Chasis # ( ie. VIN # with alpha numeric combination)
Ok, the problem here is the VIN decoders and other posters are too young or else their memory is gone.

Having dealt with VINS since 1977 when I sat down at the dispatch center for the first time I know that NOT ALL AMERICAN CARS HAVE 17 Digit VINS.

In 1971 as I recall ford was 11 characters starting and ending with a script "F" which was NOT part of the VIN

GM had 13 digits... The first one determined if it was Chevy, Buick, Olds, Cadi or .... other. (I think Caddies had shorter vins back then)

Dodge (I think) also used 13, but frankly do not remember for sure.

And that was for cars.. Trucks were often different.

The only way to decode a 1971 vin is most likely with a 1970something commericial NATB book, good luck finding one, the Internet was not in 1971. You also need the commercial one.

OR: You could pick up a Chilton's or similar manual for early 1970's models (Make sure it's a truck book) and see if they have vin charts in them,, You find those books at Auto Parts Stores, there are two product lines,, One is Chliton, not sure the name on the other since I'm not at home.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Spudler, After doing a little web crawling looks like up to and including 1969 the Dodge truck Vin # were all numbers and no letters.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Spudler was here 4 1/2 years ago...

VocalVirgo posted a new question though.

According to the 1999 Brave brochure

The 26P was only available on a Chevrolet chassis. That would be a P32. Looks like there were two GVWRs offered, a 12,300 standard and a 14,800 optional.

(I think you are looking at the 6th digit and finding a "3". 7th digit should be a "7". All P32 chassis have those digits. The 10th digit "x" does indicate it's a 1999.)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Spudler, here is a link to a forum that may be useful.
Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs!
Old 01-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Spudler, the below link show the Vin# stamped on the frame right front outside.
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/Pag...INdecoder.html