Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

We live in an all electric home in an area where temps may get to the 'teens for a few days, with power outages due to tree falls. We plan to drain the house plumbing if needed and to move into the RV.

Debating whether to winterize the RV by draining or using RV antifreeze. We would need to restore water flow if we move in during a power outage. Suggestions?

A complication would be the RV cover.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:03 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

I hope her RV has double pain windows...therma seal...or the windows will have water running down them...and setting up for black mold...and real nasty interior conditions. Same for the walls...if not enough R factor..they will start to sweat, let alone, the moisture given off from her breathing and body in general. She will need to keep roof vents open, and I suggest a Micro-Furnace, that puts out 1,500 watts of heat...and have that always on...to try and reduce the interior humidity...and have the warm air vent it out the top vents....
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:20 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

A good dehumidifier is one part of preventing excess condensation also. Vent open partially. Avoid cooking meals that produce steam.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:48 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Check out
Comfort Zone CZ707 Compact Utility Heater, Grey, on Walmart.com, it is small, metal case and rugged can be set at 600W or 1200 w with a temperature adjusting thermostat. Works great to set the adjustable thermostat to low, the heater to 600W, open the cabinet doors in kitchen and bathroom sink.

Also of interest is
Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees on Amazon.com to control any device up to 1800 watts.

Regarding de-humidifiers, don't over do it, I put two driz-the-air in a 24' travel trailer for the winter and all of the cabinet door frames had separated when I retrieved it in spring.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #25
Boondocker

Boondocking during freezing weather

Do you go out in freezing temperatures? I have winterized our rig every winter so far, using three or four jugs of antifreeze in the black tank so we could use the toilet, rinsing with a container of water we kept inside.

Been toying with the idea of taking a short trip during freezing weather, keeping the furnace on, and the water heater lit. We have waste tank heaters, but Winnebago didn't install waste pipe heaters, and I haven't gotten around to installing them. Not that it really matters I guess, because we don't plug in to 115v AC when we're boondocking, and I wouldn't keep the generator running the whole time just to keep the waste tanks and drains thawed-out.

Any tips or ideas?
Four Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #26
Boondocker

To combat road slop and salt, I installed big mud flaps behind the duallys and just in front of the propane tank. The storage compartments are not well-built; just light-weight galvanized steel and subject to 60,000 kms of year-round beating. Getting Krown Rust Control every spring is helping, but I expect to be replacing the bins at some point in time.

I use a car wash brush on a long pipe handle, with a bucket of Simonze wash and wax, then rinse it with the garden hose. I think if you can keep the fibreglas clean and coated, it should be okay... like a boat.

A lot of the wiring is hanging out under the rig, and I have added a number of cold-weather tie-wraps in an effort to keep it all bundled-up. The tail light assemblies are a mess, with poor gaskets and resultant leakage and rusted lamp sockets. I plan to replace those with better light assemblies.

Some of it is a bit disappointing, although I imagine most folks wouldn't be pounding 20,000 kms on their rigs throughout the year. Can't really complain, given the Minnie Winnie is quite affordable... but I hope the big rigs are better put-together for the money!
Old 10-30-2019, 04:12 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Seasons View Post
Do you go out in freezing temperatures? I have winterized our rig every winter so far, using three or four jugs of antifreeze in the black tank so we could use the toilet, rinsing with a container of water we kept inside.

Been toying with the idea of taking a short trip during freezing weather, keeping the furnace on, and the water heater lit. We have waste tank heaters, but Winnebago didn't install waste pipe heaters, and I haven't gotten around to installing them. Not that it really matters I guess, because we don't plug in to 115v AC when we're boondocking, and I wouldn't keep the generator running the whole time just to keep the waste tanks and drains thawed-out.

Any tips or ideas?
It would help if you added:
-- What temperatures of freezing weather you plan on camping in. If only down to 20* or so for a 2-5 hours before going up to 31*-32* then you don't need all the precautions you mention. If going down to 15* and not above freezing, that is much different.
-- What RV model will do you have? If all the tanks are enclosed, then 25* temp for a few hours doesn't affect them. If the big drain pipes and valves are exposed then that gets difficult.
-- Buy a thermometer with remote transmitters like this: https://www.ambientweather.com/amws16x3kit.html and put the remotes in the storage bays where the water pipes are to monitor the temps.
-- Buy 2-3 work shop trouble lights and put 60 watt incandescent in them and put them in the storage bays to keep them warm.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #28
Boondocker

The seasonal average runs around 37F daytime and 21F night time.

It's a 2015 Minnie Winnie 31K. (I guess I should create an auto-signature with that info.)

I can probably plug in where we're going for 2-3 days, but I expect the exterior tank drains may freeze up without anti-freeze. I can also turn on the 12V tank heaters when we're driving.... and there appears to be a 12V wiring rough-in at the drain pipes... do you know anything about 12V heater tape/wrap?

Thanks for the remote thermometer tip!
Old 10-30-2019, 10:44 AM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
To combat road slop and salt, I installed big mud flaps behind the duallys and just in front of the propane tank. The storage compartments are not well-built; just light-weight galvanized steel and subject to 60,000 kms of year-round beating. Getting Krown Rust Control every spring is helping, but I expect to be replacing the bins at some point in time.

I use a car wash brush on a long pipe handle, with a bucket of Simonze wash and wax, then rinse it with the garden hose. I think if you can keep the fibreglas clean and coated, it should be okay... like a boat.

A lot of the wiring is hanging out under the rig, and I have added a number of cold-weather tie-wraps in an effort to keep it all bundled-up. The tail light assemblies are a mess, with poor gaskets and resultant leakage and rusted lamp sockets. I plan to replace those with better light assemblies.

Some of it is a bit disappointing, although I imagine most folks wouldn't be pounding 20,000 kms on their rigs throughout the year. Can't really complain, given the Minnie Winnie is quite affordable... but I hope the big rigs are better put-together for the money!
Not to turn the original post in a different direction BUT when I see rust mentioned on bins and chassis I instantly think of POR 15.....great stuff. Invented to be used on off shore oil wells. I have used it on the floorpan of a 69 Chevelle I restored and the frame of a Toyota Tundra with the notorious frame rust issue.
https://www.por15.com/
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:

It's a 2015 Minnie Winnie 31K. (I guess I should create an auto-signature with that info.)

I can probably plug in where we're going for 2-3 days, but I expect the exterior tank drains may freeze up without anti-freeze. I can also turn on the 12V tank heaters when we're driving.... and there appears to be a 12V wiring rough-in at the drain pipes... do you know anything about 12V heater tape/wrap?

Yep, for sure, if the drains and valves are exposed to the outside air they will freeze w/o antifreeze.
No experience with heater tape/wrap.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:20 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I was just looking at pics of your rig online.

It looks like the city water connector is just above the drivers side dually exposed to the outside temps. If that is correct, I don't know how to protect it except by draining the water system. If you have the water pump on you will definitely have water freeze up there.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:56 PM   #32
Boondocker

Rusty bins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Not to turn the original post in a different direction BUT when I see rust mentioned on bins and chassis I instantly think of POR 15.....great stuff. Invented to be used on off shore oil wells. I have used it on the floorpan of a 69 Chevelle I restored and the frame of a Toyota Tundra with the notorious frame rust issue.
https://www.por15.com/

Thanks for the tip, I see the POR 15 is available at my local NAPA store.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #33
Boondocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
I was just looking at pics of your rig online.

It looks like the city water connector is just above the drivers side dually exposed to the outside temps. If that is correct, I don't know how to protect it except by draining the water system. If you have the water pump on you will definitely have water freeze up there.
We're actually okay boondocking with the water pump beside the fresh water tank, all under the bed inside the heated coach. The only parts prone to freezing are the waste tanks and drain pipes. We've done some winter travel using antifreeze in the black tank... it's a straight drop under the toilet, and given limited winter usage, the tank lasts all winter; but I am trying to figure out if there's a workable method of running the shower in freezing temperatures (furnace turned on 24/7 of course.) I guess I could dose the grey tank with antifreeze as well, but at $7/gal it could get pricey.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:46 AM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We're actually okay boondocking with the water pump beside the fresh water tank, all under the bed inside the heated coach. The only parts prone to freezing are the waste tanks and drain pipes. We've done some winter travel using antifreeze in the black tank... it's a straight drop under the toilet, and given limited winter usage, the tank lasts all winter; but I am trying to figure out if there's a workable method of running the shower in freezing temperatures (furnace turned on 24/7 of course.) I guess I could dose the grey tank with antifreeze as well, but at $7/gal it could get pricey.
While a shower is very nice, a great alternative is adult body wipes: https://www.amazon.com/Members-Premi...s%2C282&sr=8-6
We buy ours at Sam's Club, but the link above is from Amazon.

I add a tiny bit of water to each wipe to make it a little wetter and then use 3-5 wipes to get nice and clean.

Granted it is not as nice as a shower, but it does keep you clean.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:13 AM   #35
Boondocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
While a shower is very nice, a great alternative is adult body wipes: https://www.amazon.com/Members-Premi...s%2C282&sr=8-6
We buy ours at Sam's Club, but the link above is from Amazon.

I add a tiny bit of water to each wipe to make it a little wetter and then use 3-5 wipes to get nice and clean.

Granted it is not as nice as a shower, but it does keep you clean.
Yeah, I guess we're all pretty spoiled in that respect! Thanks for the tip.