Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #1

I would like to self install an Ultra Guard on my WH chassis and would like to know if anyone else has done that.

Looking for specifics; e.g., how difficult, do I need the angled steel kit (sold separately), and any other advice.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 04:54 AM   #2

I would like to self install an Ultra Guard on my WH chassis and would like to know if anyone else has done that.

Looking for specifics; e.g., how difficult, do I need the angled steel kit (sold separately), and any other advice.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Freddy go to "find" and type in "ultra guard" and all the posts should help you, mine is hung from angle iron on chains.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 10:15 AM   #4

Hey Double-naught 7!

I did a search before posting, and found several references. However, didn't find anything that specifically mentioned self-installation.

Can you tell me how the angle iron is attached to your chassis?
Old 09-03-2006, 10:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Just checked in rain for you, two chains welded to steel welded square tubing. You could use bolts thru steel tubing to hold up chains.
With chains shield will move over uneven ground if it rides over it.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Went to the Winne dealer and looked at how the factory installed guards are attatched.

Obtained a piece of angle iron, drilled some holes and installed the guard with quick links. Inspect the 'wear points' each month. Has held for 50,000 miles.

Did it all self installed, got dirty and scratched my hand.

Go for it and wear some gloves.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Just checked in rain for you, two chains welded to steel welded square tubing. You could use bolts thru steel tubing to hold up chains.
With chains shield will move over uneven ground if it rides over it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the time and inconvenience!

I think I would probably have to drill into the chassis rails to install tubing or angle iron. Seems like I read somewhere that it isn't wise to weld on the finished chassis.

Wish we had some rain!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Go for it and wear some gloves. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't stand gloves! My fingers don't work properly when wearing them. You can probaby guess how many scars I have to prove it too.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:21 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Freddy, I actually installed an ultra-guard shield on my previous coach (2003 Sightseer). I bolted the angled steel kit to the frame and mounted the guard to it. It wasn't difficult; make sure you have a good drill and very good drill bit. My guard held up very well.

2016 Citation 24ST
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote