Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

D Lindy I agree. Plus WBGO will get the benefit of some of the former Country Coach craftsmanship workers, going back to work at their old factory. That should be a plus.

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Over production to meet demand is not a proper excuse for poor quality.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 09:30 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

One has to define "quality". What works in a S&B with no weight issues does not always work in a MH with weight and size limits.

From my perspective I could not conceive 22 problems I would not catch on the PDI and refuse the unit until fixed. OTOH a lot of small stuff is easier for me to fix than write up.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I think you'll see a big improvement in all their RV's quality now that they have moved their diesel Class A production to the west coast facility. Their facility at Forest City IA was just over crowded with all the different models they needed to push thru there to meet demands.
I certainly hope so! Based on my own personal experience and some of what I saw being repaired at the factory and listening to other owners, the only direction they can really go is that of improvement. I really want to be optimistic here, but based on that and some of what I heard from Winnebago employees, I will take a "wait and see" approach.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:53 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
One has to define "quality". What works in a S&B with no weight issues does not always work in a MH with weight and size limits. From my perspective I could not conceive 22 problems I would not catch on the PDI and refuse the unit until fixed. OTOH a lot of small stuff is easier for me to fix than write up.
Most of the warranty problems do not show up for months. For example, my
wood trims were stapled on rather than screwed on and it took 5,000 miles of driving before they jiggled around enough to fall apart.
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra 225 View Post
I have been a builder, and I have a good eye. Bad fit, crooked lines etc drives me mad..... (obsessive).....ha! That goes for cheap junk materials too. I would have never given the coach a second look if I saw that in the 1st couple minutes.
I have the same "problem". Spent years as a construction inspector and draftsman before that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I bought a new Winnebago Solei for $170,000. I have found they used many cost cutting poorly installed shortcuts and seemed to skip the quality control department. They have another similar model but 5 feet longer, the Ellipse, which costs almost twice as much. I wonder if for twice the money would I just be getting more square footage or if I would also be getting a much higher quality product. What do you think
It's really sad that most manufacturers build the lowest quality units they can and then charge top dollar for their inferior products.
That's business as usual. There are some that build quality units, but you pay for them.
I had similar issues but with a lot of effort I have what I consider a good unit. It took time and a lot of money to replace all the junk with quality material. Manufacturers should be offering options to improve their terrible quality. If we had the option to upgrade the plumbing fixtures, construction without staples, etc then people would jump at the chance, I think. How about just vacuuming out all the junk created during construction? Doesn't anyone have any pride in what they sell.
We demand low prices and with that comes low quality.
Same is true in housing or just about any product we buy.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:05 PM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

RV industry appears to have the same standards as that of the 1970s Auto industry !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:42 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
RV industry appears to have the same standards as that of the 1970s Auto industry !
Good analogy, but I think you are being to kind!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:47 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Most of the warranty problems do not show up for months. For example, my
wood trims were stapled on rather than screwed on and it took 5,000 miles of driving before they jiggled around enough to fall apart.
Screws would fall apart faster under vibratory loads. That is aside from a huge cost differential between staples and a screw in a plugged hole. The real weak link is wood. It expands, breaks cell walls then contracts and is loose because of the broken cells. The slop lets the fasteners work. That enlarges the hole more. The wood movement can be from changes in either moisture or temperature.

The problems are well known in the fine woodworking circles but largely ignored in the rest of the world. A lot of it was learned from repairing old furniture and cabinetry in a wide variety of situations. Off hand I cannot think of anything other than adding some flexible adhesives that would solve the problem. Again, expensive and fussy.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality