Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2019, 05:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Turning on furnace while driving?

Hi, I'm new to RV'ing and have a question. Can I turn on the propane furnace while I am driving the RV to get the coach warmed up before I reach My destination?
MikeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
Let's kill some bugs!

Yes.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
yup. no worries.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sure can.

Using it on the road also gives you a chance to make sure that the furnace propane setup is correct. If the flame gets blown out too often by road wind, that means the air setup is incorrect. Not a big deal, happens all the time. Your owners manual for the furnace will show how to adjust it. Easy.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Why not? I do it all the time. Close off unused rooms or close their vents to keep the main cabin warm.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Be sure and turn it off--including the refrigerator or water heater, before fueling!

There are some tunnels where the propane must be turned off. A few have restrictions about size and type.

I note that my Via's refrigerator selects 12 volts if we are driving.

I personally feel better if the propane is off when driving. We used to do "ski camping" at Mammoth Mountain--and only ran the heater when we were parked. (that was over 40 years ago)
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Just a thought about this thread. Recently we had a propane leak. It was caused by the regulator and Extend-a-stay coming lose after years of bouncing down the road. I am under the impression that it is considered a safe practice to shut the propane valve off when traveling. With my experience, I think this is a good practice. If you generator is not propane, and the temps are not too low, and you have a heat pump, you could run the generator to power the heat pump. Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I guess that we're lucky.
We have the system where engine coolant is circulated though our water heater and a separate heater core in the rear of the coach. Sure makes it nice being already warm when we arrive, and lots of hot water too!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 10:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Engine heat for basement, bedroom and water

Our Winnie had this way back in the 1999 model. It was the cats meow to keep every thing toasty, we did block the radiator when the temps went below 40 or so just like them big rigs. I was told by a diesel mechanic that the amount of air going through the radiator was way over done and our fan clutch generally never kicked in unless we were trapped in a traffic jam. Engine providing heat for hot water, bedroom and storage bays is so so common sense that I would think it would be standard practice for all rigs. Hot water for first shower or two was free!
Old 02-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

You can do the same with your A/C if you run your generator.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Propane furnace is vented but a lot of people use combustion heaters that are not vented. In that small box we generate a lot of moisture as we breath and exhale and add to that the moisture from combustion of propane and you are talking a sweat lodge or sauna, yes the leaks do let water out, but condensation bigly creates problems with the wall and roof structures. So vented is the absolute best way to go if you are combusting something (not to mention other dangers of byproducts of burning fully or partially). Dehumidifiers are another necessary part of the winter camping process, as cold surfaces like windows, windshields, walls etc will collect a ton of condensation otherwise. While underway condensation is not a huge issue as ventilation keeps letting cool dry air in. Any one remember built in propane lantern lighting inside the rig?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

To my mistake. I thought all the "mini bagel's" had a his option. I know it is sweet to have. Going to be using it heavily next week as we go out for the first time this year. I hear that when the fan bearing go out (apparently common issue) it's a bitch to replace. I hear my bearing are rattling.
I have never ran my gas furnace on the road. This is news for me. Kinda Spooky.
Barny750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Squatter

We have what's called a coach heater switch in the front of our 2003 Itasca suncruiser. I've never felt any difference when I turn the switch on it has options of high and low but when you're driving down the road and turn it on I can't feel any heat coming from anywhere. Does anybody have any thoughts on that.
Thank you
Sqautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My guess is that loop has been turned off. There are valves on both sides in many a coach. One for where the hot liquid would come from and another where the liquid is returned to the circuit.

There really should be blueprints provided with each rig in the owners manual as the company only guarantees this hose for 360 days knowing full well the average customer is going to use it may be 30 days during that time! talk about a sly move eh.

The blue print should provide the electrical diagrams, the potable water diagram hot and cold, the heat system hydro and air, same for cooling etc etc. This industry is cruising for a bruising when a super customer service and product quality player moves in, it will leave the current players in the dust.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:42 PM   #15
Squatter

Thank you

I'll check out those loops and see if there's a valve turned off thank you very much for the insight.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have a couple friends wit the same issue.

When you switch the fan on, do you feel heat or here the blower from the nearest floor vent??! You should have one next to the motor bonnet. If nothing, check the fuse (I think under the dash) if ok I would guess the motor has burned up. Like I said in the previous text, there notorious at burning up.

PS. If fuse is blown, and you replace it, and immediately blows that's the best sign it's blown..
Have with replacing it. Bro-in-law said f*** that and took it to a shop.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2006 suncruiser and have the same switch and can hear it on high but don't feel a different temp
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Both rigs almost identical.

I would put a dollar to a 🍩, the motor is burned up.
To make sure it was installed in the factory, The vent right above the transmission, if you pop the register off look down towards the passenger side, you should see the flapper that opens when the fan is kicked in. There is the heat exchanger (small radiator) in front of the squirrel cage.(fan). When running it's blowing throw all your HVAC from the gas furnace.
Do make sure that the cooling lines from the engine going to the unit, is flowing with your antifreeze.
I peaked at the unit in a blue print, but didn't get around to see how hard it's going to be. Good luck. I hope this helped.
Bryan.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #19
Squatter

Thanks for your reply. Do you hear the heater at the rear the coach of the front of the coach?
Old 02-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqautter View Post
Thanks for your reply. Do you hear the heater at the rear the coach of the front of the coach?
Mines located about midship - right between the bathroom and the kitchen sink. You can hear it loudest in the bathroom, and feel it drawing in air to heat.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace