Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2015, 08:46 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmrsbb View Post
We like the 31C Brave/Tribute However, some of the times seem to be lower quality or cheap. The sliding doors are great but other things like the dinete appeared to be on the cheap side - example rough plywood under cushions that is hard to lift up to store stuff and the leg on the table didn't look very sturdy.

Lack of sun shades in the cockpit and other things make us wonder if we would be happy with it long term. Do you have a list of things not in the Brave that would be in a Sightseer or Adventurer?

I kinda think it would be fine for short trips but not suitable if one was eventually going to live in it full time or most time.

It would be helpful to know what you think the pluses and minuses are after owning one.
I agree that the dinette table in the 31C appears to be a bit on the flimsy side. I have a 27B with the larger slide out dinette which is much more robust. We also have sunshades on ours so that's not an issue.

We just got back from a 2,600 mile trip to the Grand Canyon, Colorado River and Disneyland. We got blown around a bit so the suspension needs some work. But all of the F53 chassis coaches need upgrades when they're new. Other than the suspension we had a great time in our new RV. Our floorplan is quite functional for our family of four.

I just like the design better than many of the other offerings. Imo I don't think the quality is a level lower at all. Take a look at the dash area compared to the others. The design is much better with the extruded aluminum compared with the all plastic dashes of the others. It has MCD window shades just like the others, the cabinetry is much better imo, the quality of the upholstery is the same, appliances are exactly the same as many others etc. The only difference I see between some of the others is that they use gaudy fabrics in their boxed window frames, puffy couches and fake fireplaces. They'll have some detail in the wood door cabinet finishes and call it higher quality. It's not.

I'd be a little leery of the slide out in the 31C. It spans the length of the coach just about, and I'm sure you've heard of the Schwintek slide problems. We were interested in the 31C but felt that the $20K over the 27B wouldn't benefit us in any way so we chose the 27B. Got a great deal on it as well.
The Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:46 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Randall View Post
I agree that the dinette table in the 31C appears to be a bit on the flimsy side. I have a 27B with the larger slide out dinette which is much more robust. We also have sunshades on ours so that's not an issue.

We just got back from a 2,600 mile trip to the Grand Canyon, Colorado River and Disneyland. We got blown around a bit so the suspension needs some work. But all of the F53 chassis coaches need upgrades when they're new. Other than the suspension we had a great time in our new RV. Our floorplan is quite functional for our family of four.

I just like the design better than many of the other offerings. Imo I don't think the quality is a level lower at all. Take a look at the dash area compared to the others. The design is much better with the extruded aluminum compared with the all plastic dashes of the others. It has MCD window shades just like the others, the cabinetry is much better imo, the quality of the upholstery is the same, appliances are exactly the same as many others etc. The only difference I see between some of the others is that they use gaudy fabrics in their boxed window frames, puffy couches and fake fireplaces. They'll have some detail in the wood door cabinet finishes and call it higher quality. It's not.

I'd be a little leery of the slide out in the 31C. It spans the length of the coach just about, and I'm sure you've heard of the Schwintek slide problems. We were interested in the 31C but felt that the $20K over the 27B wouldn't benefit us in any way so we chose the 27B. Got a great deal on it as well.
We ruled the 27B out because of the lack of hanging space for clothes - other than that we liked it and felt it was a good value for the cost. Also we would like a residential frig (more room in it)
mrmrsbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
So it seems most the votes are for an Adventurer - possibly used and smaller. I agree that the further you go down the line of models the fewer features you get and the quality gets lower. In regard to smaller the things that cause us to like the 38Q over the smaller floorplans are -- most do not have a pantry, most do not have as large a firg nor a residential frig, and they don't have the residential homy feel as the 38Q or Sightseer 35G. However we are concerned about price and being small enough to be easy to drive and park in smaller camps.

Like the Brave 31C but the overall quality seems lower and you lose a lot of features. Seems to us that it would be fine for weekend trips or a short vacation but any thing longer would make you anxious to get home.

So I guess a question is how important are some of the extras you get with an Adventurer? How important is having a washer and dryer? Some of the smaller Adventurers have a closet near the frog that could serve as a panty - but it is where the washer dryer goes.

What features are important enough to pay more? What features do you lose as you go smaller and cheaper?
Now ask for a vote on a DP or gasser. That will be interesting.

Rick Y
Old 04-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Your wish list covers way too many wants to find a do-all coach to fit your needs.

Work out what the goal is and what will serve you best. Floor plan is the key. Is there room for everyone when the weather is inclement? Can you all get along when confined for a while?

Go sit in the ones you are interested in. Ditch the salesman and pretend you are living it. Play house for an hour or two and think about what amenties will be available should you need them. Is there sufficient counter space to prepare meals, snacks, etc while trying to play cards, watch tv/movies, entertain.

Once you 'live' in a unit the shortcomings will become aparent. The issue is to try to anticipate the shortcomings. Be realistic, don't let the glitter distract you.

Good luck. No matter what you purchase you will have much enjoyment.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

All I can say is that I started with a 2000 35' Adventurer in 2006, in 2008 I upgraded to a 38' Voyage. Both were great rigs. Then I had a moment of insanity and bought a Itasca Meridian 42 E. I would suggest going for the gusto and getting a larger rig. It's cheaper that way. I now have a stacked washer and dryer, a Whirlpool refer, plenty of storage and we can boondock with no problems. We average around 8mpg so the range is good. We are fulltimers and it's like living in a small condo.
From your plans, I think that you would be in the same situation that I'm in. Just my humble opinion!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

I have 35 G. It is great. We took out the in table. We use a folding table we keep in bay. Much easier. We don't eat at table much. Mostly lap trays so the dinette or buffet table is waste of space for us. 35 g lounge is spacious. Get the drop down bed. I didn't and much easier than couch bed get washer/dryer. Really makes traveling easier and can pack fewer clothes. We have King bed. If you can stand it queen will give more room in bedroom and storage in end tables. We were just out for four months. Two adults and two 20 pound dogs. Never needed more space. Had Vista 30 T before. Not enough room.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
All I can say is that I started with a 2000 35' Adventurer in 2006, in 2008 I upgraded to a 38' Voyage. Both were great rigs. Then I had a moment of insanity and bought a Itasca Meridian 42 E. I would suggest going for the gusto and getting a larger rig. It's cheaper that way. I now have a stacked washer and dryer, a Whirlpool refer, plenty of storage and we can boondock with no problems. We average around 8mpg so the range is good. We are fulltimers and it's like living in a small condo.
From your plans, I think that you would be in the same situation that I'm in. Just my humble opinion!
Thanks. Heard the same from some dealers. The issues with larger are the cost primarily but also I hope to keep the coach at my place during the summer and a smaller coach would be easier to find a place for. However the cost is the main issue. Older coaches are cheaper but the coaches we like are newer models thus finding a cheaper used one isn't likely. Maybe we are being too picky.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:47 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks. Heard the same from some dealers. The issues with larger are the cost primarily but also I hope to keep the coach at my place during the summer and a smaller coach would be easier to find a place for. However the cost is the main issue. Older coaches are cheaper but the coaches we like are newer models thus finding a cheaper used one isn't likely. Maybe we are being too picky.
If you are not in a hurry, wait. We could not afford this 40U when we first saw it in 2011. Actually, we saw a Tour QD at a show and fell in love with the floor plan. We were at the dealer for service and saw the 40U a short time later and new it would fit our lifestyle better. The last time the old coach was in the shop I did a prayerful search for a 2011 40U and the one we now have popped up in Ft Myers. I had found many before but they were always sold or were new. This one was a real hit on my search and the dealer confirmed it. May of '13 we got it. The price from new, along with paying enough off on my old coach, put us at a point that we could afford a loan for this one. It took almost 2 years to find what we could afford and liked in appointment. If you are not in a rush than don't be. The longer the coach you want is in production the greater your chances are of finding a used one you can afford.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 04-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If you are not in a hurry, wait. We could not afford this 40U when we first saw it in 2011. Actually, we saw a Tour QD at a show and fell in love with the floor plan. We were at the dealer for service and saw the 40U a short time later and new it would fit our lifestyle better. The last time the old coach was in the shop I did a prayerful search for a 2011 40U and the one we now have popped up in Ft Myers. I had found many before but they were always sold or were new. This one was a real hit on my search and the dealer confirmed it. May of '13 we got it. The price from new, along with paying enough off on my old coach, put us at a point that we could afford a loan for this one. It took almost 2 years to find what we could afford and liked in appointment. If you are not in a rush than don't be. The longer the coach you want is in production the greater your chances are of finding a used one you can afford.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Thanks. Been looking for a while already and the plan was to buy this spring. Seems like some of the newer floor plans are more like we think would work for us. So if we're going to buy something that has depreciated we will have to find an older floor plan we can live with or should I say live in ��
Old 04-07-2015, 06:53 AM   #30
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks. Been looking for a while already and the plan was to buy this spring. Seems like some of the newer floor plans are more like we think would work for us. So if we're going to buy something that has depreciated we will have to find an older floor plan we can live with or should I say live in ��
"that has depreciated" The moment you sign the papers to a new or new to you RV it is depreciated. Never think of the RV you buy as an investment. It is NOT. Accept that as a fact and the first step on the road of this lifestyle is made successfully. Those who but new have the greatest depreciation out the door. So, don't focus on "loss". Your goal now is to find the best RV for your needs, get the best deal that fits your budget, work out the new to you syndrome and hit the road.

You must compromise in this process. If you don't have a list made, do so. Once your list of what you want in your RV is in place, prioritize. DW must have a residential refrigerator. DH must have a DP. DW would like a dishwasher. DH would like a recliner. So, you break your list down to how important each item on it is now and in the future.

Example: Our last coach was very lovely looking. The interior was a rich dark wood. On a bright day it was like walking into a cave. With the lights on it was still dark. On our must have list was a light coloring for the interior. We did not compromise and are very pleased with the day and night environment of this coach. The residential refrigerator was another must. And so on. We compromised on the furniture color. We have the brown instead of the white and are now glad we didn't go with the white. Black was defiantly out.

I do hope these suggestions ease some of what you may be feeling. Choosing a RV for longtime service is a difficult process. We all change in likes and needs as we get older. This should be considered. Will you like what you choose in 10 or 15 years? (Oh boy. Another question to consider!)

I hope your planning and searching will become just one more adventure for you. Looking forward to your future posts.

Rick Y
Old 04-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

We use all the amenities in our 38Q. After one year, still loving it in spite of the QC issues and the awful Lippert slides. Warranty took care of all issues so far. F53 is wonderful. Was expecting a disappointing ride and performance but, other than the hit on mileage, all is adequate for our purposes. Love the washer/dryer. About half the capacity of home units in my estimation. Plenty for two persons. Have to wash every two days when two grandkids are on- board. Otherwise, every five days or so, depending on ones hygiene habits. After the second washday, it became apparent to me that the washer drained into the black holding tank. Had expected the gray tank would perform that duty. Emailed WBGO. They confirmed the black tank. Said it helps keep tank flushed. Two wash loads seem to use 1/3 tank if water and takes up 1/3 of the black tank. Wouldn't work very well when dry camping but no issue when hooked up. We "traded down" from a 2005 DP. Not on the road enough to justify the additional cost when the gasser has same/similar amenities.

Just our experience/opinion.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise1949 View Post
We use all the amenities in our 38Q. After one year, still loving it in spite of the QC issues and the awful Lippert slides. Warranty took care of all issues so far. F53 is wonderful. Was expecting a disappointing ride and performance but, other than the hit on mileage, all is adequate for our purposes. Love the washer/dryer. About half the capacity of home units in my estimation. Plenty for two persons. Have to wash every two days when two grandkids are on- board. Otherwise, every five days or so, depending on ones hygiene habits. After the second washday, it became apparent to me that the washer drained into the black holding tank. Had expected the gray tank would perform that duty. Emailed WBGO. They confirmed the black tank. Said it helps keep tank flushed. Two wash loads seem to use 1/3 tank if water and takes up 1/3 of the black tank. Wouldn't work very well when dry camping but no issue when hooked up. We "traded down" from a 2005 DP. Not on the road enough to justify the additional cost when the gasser has same/similar amenities.

Just our experience/opinion.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
What is the issue with the slides?
Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #33
Winnebago Watcher

What did you decide to do?
PatsDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

We got a great deal on a Tiffin Allegro 36LA - not perfect but the quality and rear bath plus price were the deciding factors - so far it has been a great coach - very few issues.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We got a great deal on a Tiffin Allegro 36LA - not perfect but the quality and rear bath plus price were the deciding factors - so far it has been a great coach - very few issues.
Good for you!

I have found that "BRANDING" is just a method necessary for society to function. It is NOT always a guaranty that what you buy is good or bad because of the brand. Winnebago has a decent reputation in the RV world. Those of us that have one of their products have as many problems as those in a rig who's brand has a lesser rep. The bottom line is simple and these folks are making my point. If it works and satisfies your needs and reasonable wants, brand is of little or no consequence.

Happy trails folks, and many of them.

Rick Y