Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Total Inspection before buying ? By Whom ?

Hey...
I Have posted earlier about the 1997 Winnebago Brave 31 RQ we are looking at.....I suggested that we take it to an RV Dealer for a "Total" inspection...
My Questions are : Do RV dealers do these types of inspections when you are not buying one of their RV's ?

Guesstimation of the cost to have them go throughout the MH and check everything to make sure that all is working well ???
Thanks for any help or input as far as what should be our main/foremost concerns...

Thanks.....J Michael & Maggie
Studio2bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
TW
Winnebago Camper

Question Inspection

Going to a Dealer is not my cup of tea. Maybe a Mobile RV Mechanic would be more indepentent. I bought one used MH and did myself the inspection, as good or bad as I could.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for a quick reply......

Any basic guidelines/specifics/directions you could direct me in ? Things to look out for...things that you discovered ?

Thanks for your time
Studio2bn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Look for an independent RV technician and have him inspect and test all of the systems on the coach:
Generator.
120 volt shore power.
12 volt power
water system, shore hook up as well as on board tank.
sewer hook up.
electronics, TV, antennas, etc
roof
leaks
frig operates on propane as well as electric
water heater
furnace
A/C unit

Next take to a mechanic and have them do a chassis inspection.
I would also ask the dealer to have a complete service for the engine, the transmission and generator.

With 58,000 miles,check the brakes.

If the tires are over 5 years old, plan to replace them pretty soon, no matter how much thread they have. Check for uneven tire wear.

Ken
Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had my inspection done at a dealer. They offered a chassis inspection for a set price but were reluctant on the coach side, saying it was not something they offered. I knew if I was trading in they would have no problem doing a very thorough inspection, so it was a matter of some communication on items and price and they did it. A little awkward as I was thousands of miles away making the arrangement. In the end they did a pretty good job, some things they found were non issues others were potentially serious. The seller and I had agreed on a price prior but it was subject to inspection and when the list came back he had to revise the price, a further 25% reduction. Almost a year later I am still happy with my purchcase. I believe the inspection cost was around $450 for both the coach and chassis. It's a good idea to make a list of everything you want checked, they may do more but be sure to get your essentials done. Good luck.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have 3 recommendations for you,

1.) Don't fall in love with the coach before buying it.
2.) Have a pre-inspection done with a checklist like this one completely filled out.
3.) Absolutely do not fall in love with a coach before purchasing.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You will probably pay between $300 and $500 for an inspection.

Selecting a quality inspector is a 50/50 proposition, especially if in a remote market.

Some folks advertise inspection services on Craigslist as RVIA certified inspector. These folks will likely focus on the House issues.

Except for water leaks and refrigerators, the chassis portion probably has more potential dollar cost in it. At least get the engine and transmission checked out.

Anything you can do yourself, using a checklist like the one referenced above would be cheaper and maybe more effective.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote