Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Top seal on 30ft slide of a itasca 42qd

Water blew in under the slide cover and started running into the coach,looked and saw the seal had come out of its channel for about a foot in the middle of the slide. It looks like a slide in type T shaped gasket.Can that 1foot section be put back in without removing the slide and sliding a new seal in.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:58 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You could temporarily remove the slide out cover to give you direct access to the slide out gasket. May give you more options to consider. The attached doc has some guidance.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ascent-Service-Manual.pdf (1.28 MB, 133 views)
Old 06-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I was thinking I could take the slide cover off but before I went to that trouble I wanted to make sure I can even get the T moulding into the channel without taking the slide out .Thanks for the slide cover info may need that.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:36 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On my 5ver I spread the channel open a bit to reinsert a length of cover and then closed it back together ... don't know if that can be done on our coaches ...
Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
That slide seal

Same thing happened to ours! We got to it from INSIDE!
Pull the slide in abit and reach it from the top. We had Flex glue and glued it back in. Checked along the rest and glued where loose. So far so good, we good it last year!
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
Water blew in under the slide cover and started running into the coach,looked and saw the seal had come out of its channel for about a foot in the middle of the slide. It looks like a slide in type T shaped gasket.Can that 1foot section be put back in without removing the slide and sliding a new seal in.

I am not certain which gasket you are having trouble with. Is it the one behind the face molding inside the coach or the one that slides on the roof of the slide?

I had to lift my topper up to the roof. Not a bad job with 2 people, but I have done it alone. Take care to pin the tension spring with a large cotter pin or a nail.

Once the top of the slide was exposed I cleaned it very well under the roof to slide top seal. Using a tip extension, I injected a bead of good clear caulking along the base of the inner seal and then forced a strip of "backer rod" into the caulking. It was a bit messy but it worked with some effort. The caulking must be foam comparable so as not to dissolve the backer rod.

Next, clean the slide lock bucket if you have a slide lock on the roof. Make certain that the drain hole to the outside of the slide is clean. It is a great place for critters to nest.

Tags
itasca, seal, slide