Old 07-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #1
Let's kill some bugs!

Send a message via Skype™ to John Locke
Togo LTE and Wifi reviews, WANTED

Recently Togo released their new Roadlink service using a Winegard antenna. The pitch is $30/mo for unlimited data when paid annually. It also offers location services using their app, in case you lose your RV I guess. It could also be handy for family to know where you're at without calling.

So my question is.... has anyone bought the $400 Togo/Winegard antenna, installed it and used it a couple months? I'm curious how well it works.

It claims to have a Wifi amplifier to extend reception of Wifi in campgrounds. I've never used a Wifi amplifier, so I'm just wondering if it's really any good. I'm also wondering if a campground would really have a wifi connection worth using. Hotels are often too slow to do much with, I'm thinking campgrounds would be even worse.

The unlimited data for $30/mo in the US seems like a great deal, but again, how well does it work?

There are no refunds on this system, so I'm looking for reviews on performance and reliability. Anybody have one?
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The internet part of the system is what many of us use... AT&T utilizing their ZTE Mobley and in the 25months and 25K miles we've only had a few occasions when it wasn't good enough for me to work. That itself to me is a deal! I've watched videos and read a bit about the unit for the rooftop and not really sure how it works but if for $400 if it works to get you the internet service that's a win assuming that you travel enough and need the data. (you cannot get the Mobley deal at this time) I've got $100 in the Mobley device and about $75 in a cheaper router. I also have a Weboost cellular booster that I'm not sure if their device boosts or not but if that were included then I'd say it would be a deal.

In the entire time we've traveled I think I've connected to wifi from the campground 2x. Both times were good enough to work but did have their slow-down times which I equate to the am when the retires are having their coffee and reading the news and email and in the evening when people are trying to stream their favorite shows. That said I see the same thing when we are in congested camp areas and the towers are overcrowded.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I've been full time RV'ing for 15 years and MUST have working Wifi or I go nuts...and often change sites or even campgrounds to improve the signal.

But in recent years, Wifi upgrades have been coming along nicely at even small town RV parks so I don't do anything special OTHER THEN buying a USB Wifi Adapter with a looooonnnngggg cable. Cost about $50-$80 one time and no monthly of course. And with the long cable (25-35 feet) I'm able to position the transceiver anywhere around the RV and tape it up in a window if need be. Point is to have the antenna where it's 'line of sight' to the parks antenna.

So with that adapter connected to my computer, in a site where I have line-of-sight with the parks antenna, I really don't consider spending $30 or more per month for wifi...I pay nothing except for the adapter.

In a pinch, I make my phone ($12/mo) a hot spot and use that if I must bank or something. And of course I can hand carry my tablet to a McD's or any of thousands of other businesses for free Wifi.

These days, there's really no reason to pay for a plan when you can just use the parks Wifi for free. Example: I am staying for a month at a tiny (9 spots) RV park in a tiny town (3600 population) in the mountains of Nevada. Download speed is 16 Mbps, consistent. And I'm practically the only one in the park that uses it. I'm finding high speed Wifi all over the US these days so even though I write a travel blog and need consistent wifi with over 2 Mbps speeds, I have no trouble finding it. From giant resorts down to tiny mom & pop RV parks, high speed (or at least USABLE speed) Wifi is typical these days.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
Site Team

Info on these systems and solid reviews are always available from www.rvmobileinternet.com.

RV Mobile Internet is a "pay to play" site. They have info for free but the really good detailed info requires a yearly fee of $85. However... I have been a member for 3-years and can tell you that I've saved far more than the yearly fee each year. For instance, they alerted members of the $22 Mobley deal very early allowing us to get in on that deal while others were way too late to take advantage.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...o-roadlink-c2/

Here's their introductory video - not a full review - of the system you're asking about.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I too must have my internet, to run my business while we travel. However, I've learned I can function on as little as 5 Mbps. While many CG do not have high speed, they are fast enough to function. Of course, Net flicks, Amazon, YouTube, etc are all "not happening"! But Google Maps, Emails Etc, newspapers are good enough. I also bought a WiFi antenna. I put it on a 12 foot collapsible pole and affix it to the MH with suction cups. This allows the antenna to get above the obstruction next door and receive the signal. Total cost $100. It is not booster. But it keeps me inside and not walking to the office for WiFi! I have experienced 5 & 10 Mbps at many CG. My Verizon hotspot is only 1 Mbps. It will do in a pinch.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

To bad it is not available in Canada (as usual). Prices here are crazy