Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #1

We own a 01 32' Adventurer with 20k miles. It is in top condition. With all the roof problems that have been going on with this model, and I have had my own, should we sell and upgrade? Like to hear from any of you that have had similar thoughts and reacted one way or the other.
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #2

We own a 01 32' Adventurer with 20k miles. It is in top condition. With all the roof problems that have been going on with this model, and I have had my own, should we sell and upgrade? Like to hear from any of you that have had similar thoughts and reacted one way or the other.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:25 PM   #3

I hate to respond to my own question, BUT this decision is an important one. One that I would like some feed back on. If people are responding to vacuums sucking up toilet paper, vs. owner's real concerns - it must be a slow news day. "Will work for advice, put your two cents worth in the cup." txs
Old 05-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hmmm. I thought I seen you post on the Arrgh roof post. A little time & a few feet of etrenabond solves the roof problem. I think ours was done three years ago & its still fine. I put a narrow strip of eternabond (1/4" x 4") on our garbage can lid to see how it would hold up to punishment. After three years its still there & looks just fine.

On the other hand, if you are looking for encouragement to upgrade, I'll give you my approval.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If I'm reading you right, your only reason for considering selling is the "roof problems". I can't say I've had similiar thoughts, and maybe it's not worth 2 cents, but here are my thoughts:

Let me start with an example of this "weak" roof system that Winnie uses. My Journey sat through the worst that hurricane Charley had to offer. Gusts over 180 pretty much straight on the drivers side. Just about eveything outside like mirrors, vents, antennaes, lights, etc. were either destroyed or blown completely off. But you know what? That weak Winnebago roof stayed on and when I checked it last week, all the side seams are still tight. Yes, I went all the way down both sides pushing in on the roof and watching for any movement. There was none.

I know some people have had legitimate problems, some of them major. I wonder if some of the problems are from that particular roof not being properly attached to the supporting structure of the roof. That seam down the side is certainly not the whole thing that keeps the roof on, it's only a small part of the system, but seems to generate all the criticism.

So, my $.02 is that, if you otherwise like the unit, stick with it - you may be upgrading into worse problems. On the other hand, if you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, I'd say dump that lousy roof and get something better...

Best of luck with your decision!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by no18yes:
We own a 01 32' Adventurer with 20k miles. It is in top condition. With all the roof problems that have been going on with this model, and I have had my own, should we sell and upgrade? Like to hear from any of you that have had similar thoughts and reacted one way or the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> My totally biased and partial advice is based on this question: If you upgrade would you get a diesel pusher and keep it a lifetime?

If the answer is yes, then go for it. If no, then stay with that rig several more years and buy another gas rig then. Unless, you won the lottery ....

Walt
Old 05-17-2005, 09:06 AM   #7

I appriciate the advice. About the roof. I have had the roof recaulked twice since 01. The first time I was not aware of "the problem," and the seam had already gone bad and was leaking water. I think the engineering of that feature is flawed and the bottom line is that Winne ought to be giving us advise on how to deal with it. I hear that Eternabond has been used by many, but to me it does not offer a good estetic solution because of the high profile it has once it is applied. (my 2 cnts)
Thanks again for the advice.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:36 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Might I ask what it cost to have the roof recaulked?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2005, 01:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I cut my Eternabond 1-3/8" wide and applied it. If I did not point it out to you I don't think you would ever see it. Ask the next person that comes to your house what color the shingles are, bet without looking they don't know if it even has shingles. Only folks to look up at roof to sidewall seam are folks that know the problem and intersted in seeing what you have done to fix it.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:10 PM   #10

dleslie125-- The cost of a full seam repair (recaulking) was $450. That was when it was found to have leaked. It took 2 days to dry it out. The last recaulking cost $52. It only involved one side. So for the last 3 years I've paid $500 to keep my roof in good repair. EB is begining to sound better and better.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:22 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Merci beaucoup.

I've asked my dealer to inspect my roof as the warranty expires at the end of the month. He said there will be a charge for the inspection (will be interesting to see how much) but that any recaulking required will be under warranty.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If people are responding to vacuums sucking up toilet paper, vs. owner's real concerns - it must be a slow news day. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I take it from your comment, you wouldn't be interested to hear about the time I saw an ant walk across the floor...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:37 PM   #13

I'll bite on that one, but you know I would want to know where you were, was it an ant that I would not like in bed with me (fire ant), how did the ant get in, did you park under a tree branch that was touching your rig, or were they climbing up the electrical, water or sewer connections, or did you ring your tires in Borax? Now if you can answer all those I would like to know how the ant arrived on your head floor.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now if you can answer all those I would like to know how the ant arrived on your head floor </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wellll, to tell the truth, I have no ant story, just tryin' to keep it light, too hot here in Tucson today (108 in the shade of my back porch)to get too excited about much...rgr
Old 05-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

108. Hmm. You'd be much happier at 88 you know. So ship 20 here. We can use them. Our pool is only at 60 degrees. No swimming yet thanks.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:35 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">108. Hmm. You'd be much happier at 88 you know. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man, aint that the truth. Shoving off in a week for the mid west, then N Carolina, ending up outside of Boston. Not comin back till fall...rgr...