Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I just got back from the county courthouse and getting our 2007 Winnebago class A titled. I took all the needed paperwork including the 2006 Chassis title and the 2007 Winnebago Title. The people at the DMV informed me that they have to combine the 2 titles into one, the chassis Title as the primary title and they will also be changing the model #.

So, I walked into the courthouse owning a 2007 Winnebago WFD35J and walked out owning a 2006 Winnebago FORD35J as printed on my registration. (They changed the year from 2007 to 2006 because the chassis is a 2006). I argued, but they insisted this is how it's done.

I called my dealer, they informed me that this is becoming a real problem throughout the state and they will try to get it corrected.

Questions:

Has this ever happened to you? And was it corrected?

Am I at a liability risk while this is being sorted out? I'm insured for a 2007 Winne WFD35J, but per the state I'm driving a 2006 Winne FORD35J.

I'm optimistic this will be corrected, but if it's not, would it be false advertising and misleading to sell a unit as a 2007 when the state will only recognize as a 2006? That year of depreciation would be $15,000 or more.
dakotabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just got back from the county courthouse and getting our 2007 Winnebago class A titled. I took all the needed paperwork including the 2006 Chassis title and the 2007 Winnebago Title. The people at the DMV informed me that they have to combine the 2 titles into one, the chassis Title as the primary title and they will also be changing the model #.

So, I walked into the courthouse owning a 2007 Winnebago WFD35J and walked out owning a 2006 Winnebago FORD35J as printed on my registration. (They changed the year from 2007 to 2006 because the chassis is a 2006). I argued, but they insisted this is how it's done.

I called my dealer, they informed me that this is becoming a real problem throughout the state and they will try to get it corrected.

Questions:

Has this ever happened to you? And was it corrected?

Am I at a liability risk while this is being sorted out? I'm insured for a 2007 Winne WFD35J, but per the state I'm driving a 2006 Winne FORD35J.

I'm optimistic this will be corrected, but if it's not, would it be false advertising and misleading to sell a unit as a 2007 when the state will only recognize as a 2006? That year of depreciation would be $15,000 or more.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE:

Spoke to Winnebago, they are sending me a letter which should explain to the DMV's satisfaction that my new RV is a 2007 and the model # in not to be changed.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I hope that the title clerks in SD are more capable of correcting a mistake that has been entered into the system than they are in this area.

Spent several years a few years back trying to convince the state of TN that my Mercedes Benz was not a Mercury as some dingbat clerk entered into the system. Finally cleared it all up by selling the car.

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You coach should have been titled using the model year, not the chassis manufacture year.

If they use the chassis manufacturer year half of all 2007 automobiles would be titled as 2006s.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Had same problem in WI. with one of our MH's. Makes you want to beat them in the head to listen.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My 2005 is registered as a 2004. The chassis was built in Oct. 2004 and the coach was built in Jan 2005. The dealer is no longer in business so it is up to me to make the change. The coach docs clearly state it is a 2005. Since the DMV fees drop every year, I figure it is cheaper leaving it as a 2004 as far as the DMV is concerned. When I go to sell it, I expect no problem with the wrong year on the title.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

same problem in California. Look at the bright side, the registration should be less on the older coach. When you sell it or trade it, you will price it based on industry standards.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I bought a used Winnebago 2004 Class C a 2003 Chassis. It was advertised as a 2004 but I noticed the 2003 Ford chassis placard before I purchased it. No big deal for me. It was originally registered in CA and was licensed as a 2004, but in AZ they go by the chassis model year. I was happy for that because AZ charges the license fee based on the depreciated sales price. The older models are much cheaper to license every year than the newer ones. Plus my insurance is somewhat lower too. If and when I go to sell it, I will list it as a 2004, and mention that it is on a 2003 Chassis which will bring lower license and insurance. If you lived in AZ you would welcome a lower model year. Big $$$ for licenses.
Finkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:46 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I see a problem with buying (and paying the price) for an '07, and then having DMV title it as an '06. If that motorhome was totaled in an accident or fire, the insurance company is only going to pay out for an '06, per the registration and title. That could be an expensive lesson.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I think......all true model years are encoded in the VIN.

-Tom
Old 05-17-2007, 05:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt.Bill:
I see a problem with buying (and paying the price) for an '07, and then having DMV title it as an '06. If that motorhome was totaled in an accident or fire, the insurance company is only going to pay out for an '06, per the registration and title. That could be an expensive lesson. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Capt.bill, you are 100% correct!! And that is why I'm fighting this. I do have to give kudos to my dealer, they have called the state and requested the suspension of the title, keeping it from being processed till this matter is resolved. Winnebago claims, regardless of the state, the HM needs to be titled by the year and model of the MH manufacture not the chassis manufacture.

This stuff should be everyday business for the DMV. But here in South Dakota it's like a roll of the dice. I have spoken to two other people in my town that have purchased new 2007 class A's with 2006 chassis. One was titled as a 2006 the other was titled as 2007.

I'm optimistic that the dealer and Winnebago will get this straightened out and my new 2007 Winnebago 35J will be titled as a 2007.

Besides the 35J is a new model for Winnebago in 2007...It didn't exist in 2006.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

The true model year is not encoded in the VIN. The VIN for my coach indicates a 2004. That's the problem with my registration. California goes by the year the chassis was build not the coach year. The 10th digit of my VIN is "4"
Old 05-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

The 10th digit in my VIN indicates model year.

My 10th digit is 5 indicating a 2005 model. My Workhorse chassis was built in 2004. I ordered the coach from the factory in Oct. 2004 and it was delievered in Jan 2005.

-Tom

-------------------------

Vehicle Identification Numbers
Last updated April 3rd, 2003

Commencing in September 1980, Motor Vehicle Safety Standard regulation FMVSS-115 required a 17-digit VIN (vehicle identification number) on all new vehicles sold in the United States. (In Canada, the applicable regulation is Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations Standard 115 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act.) In June of 1983 the American requirements of the regulation moved to Part 565.

The vehicle identification number is divided into four parts: the World Manufacturer's Identification (WMI - three characters); the Vehicle Description Section (VDS - five characters); the check digit; and the Vehicle Identification Section (VIS - eight characters). When decoded, the VIN tells the country and year of manufacture; make, model and serial number; assembly plant and even some equipment specifications.

Note that the sort sequence for characters in the VIN is A to Z, then 1 to 9, and finally 0, with the letters "I", "O" and "Q" not normally used.

The following is not an exhaustive list, but I have managed to compile a listing for the manufacturers of most types of buses and service vehicles operated by many transit companies, as well as specific codes for several major manufacturers.

One of the better free online VIN decoders that I've found is at analogx.com. Please e-mail me with any additions or corrections, which would be greatly appreciated.
Position Section Information
1-2 WMI country code
2-3 manufacturer
4-8 VDS equipment codes
9 check digit
10 VIS model year
11 manufacturing plant
12-17 serial number
or
10 VIS model year
11 manufacturing plant
12-14 WMI suffix
15-17 serial number

[Source: http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VIN/VINcode.html ]
Old 05-19-2007, 05:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

RedLancer:

The VIN on the cert of origin for the chassis AND the coach should be the same.
Old 05-19-2007, 06:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

As far as I know, there is only one VIN for any vehicle. Winnebago uses a 12 digit serial number for the coach. The information plate that contains the VIN and serial number clearly states that my MH is a 2005 model.
Old 05-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BigRedLancer:
As far as I know, there is only one VIN for any vehicle. Winnebago uses a 12 digit serial number for the coach. The information plate that contains the VIN and serial number clearly states that my MH is a 2005 model. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before the motorhome is registered there are two VINS, one for the chassis and one for the coach. These VINs are shown on the certificate of origin for the coach and on the certificate of origin for the chassis. But both should be the same. When the motorhome is registered the VIN from the certificate of origin for the coach should be used for the state vehicle registration.

I have copies of both of these documents for my motorhome and the Workhorse chassis VIN clearly is a 2005 from the 10th digit in the VIN even though the Workhorse chassis was manufactured in 2004. Same as an automobile VIN. I've post the VIN code in a previous reply.

BigRed I have sent copies of these documents to you in a PM.

-Tom
Old 05-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

My coach is a 2006 model on a 2004 chassis...beat that! I can't remember how it was titled, however, so I will have to do some investigating when I get home.

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Update:

We got the letter from Winnebago today. Our dealer will be taking it to the state in effort to get the year and model corrected on the title for our new Winnebago.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

year of chassis, I dont understand why a DMV's would register a Motor Home based on the build date of your chassis. Suppose your buying a new 2007, and the chassis was built in 2005, you saying your buying a 2 year old Motor Home, and its registerd as a 2005? NYS registers a MH, based on the Manufacturers date, of the coach itself, not the chassis. just for your information. luck with your new coach.
richierich is offline   Reply With Quote