Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Tires

Class A, do I want Mud and Snows on the back?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
not in my opinion. are you planning to drive in either?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
not in my opinion. are you planning to drive in either?
We do a lot of boon docking! I am thinking is it rougher and noisier but good for soft grass or such off road situations?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Team

I typically do not hear the term "mud & snow" often, but rather MT (for Mud Terrain) or AT (for All Terrain). You absolutely do NOT want Mud Terrain, as they are only better in the mud, get super noisy after 20K miles, and are pretty much worse at everything else, including snow. The All Terrains should be fine and still give you a relatively quiet ride. I would go onto the Discount Tire web site and read the reviews for your desired tire size & rating:
https://www.discounttire.com/
I did just get a great set of Mickey Thompson ATs for my truck, and I love them.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
I typically do not hear the term "mud & snow" often, but rather MT (for Mud Terrain) or AT (for All Terrain). You absolutely do NOT want Mud Terrain, as they are only better in the mud, get super noisy after 20K miles, and are pretty much worse at everything else, including snow. The All Terrains should be fine and still give you a relatively quiet ride. I would go onto the Discount Tire web site and read the reviews for your desired tire size & rating:
https://www.discounttire.com/
I did just get a great set of Mickey Thompson ATs for my truck, and I love them.
Thanks
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a new set of Toyo M144s. All they say is regroovable.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Why?
They would be noisy and cause a rough ride. Commercial truckers don't use them, why should motorhomes use them?
No trying to be a smart @ss, but personally I don't see the need. Going to be in snow? Purchase Snow Socks. Easy on & off.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If you're truly in the mud in your Class A, you're probably having other issues as well. Do you travel in upper elevations in snow season where you might encounter slush?? Many people's motorhomes will never be on the road when temps are in the 40's, let alone colder.
On relatively flat ground, even on wet grass, ribs will do fine. It's hard to imagine being off pavement on sharp inclines, unless you have a plan....
Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

OP,
Sounds like you might do similar remote boodocking and all season adventure as I do except I do mine in a Super C. What I use on my 22.5 rims is all position steers. Then I have automatic chains that deploy when needed with the flip of a switch from the drivers seat.
The result is a very smooth and quite ride when needed and very good (but not excellent) off road traction.
Congratulations on your adventures!
dan680fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

rear tires

2012 Itasca 26 P, just replaced all tires due to Texas rear blow out: Installed (2) steers for front, (4) Michelin XDS2 19.5 on rear. 4/2019 departed Carlsbad Caverns 93 degrees w/ stiff winds, turned west for White Sands, experienced white out snow crossing Cloudcroft high elevation. Definitely didn't plan on driving in snow, no place to pull off, touch brakes feel it slid! Luckily I learned to utilize F53 tow mode during Alaska journey. 30 miles of sheer fear!! Haven't performed long range test yet, but for boondocking and adverse weather I definitely feel more secure with MILDLY aggressive rear traction. Definitely wouldn't go as far as true mud/snow tread patterns.
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires