Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Dateline: Sept 28th... it was a cool, crisp Florida morning at 6:27 AM. I had just kissed the DW goodbye and headed for my office. Life was good.

6:36 AM; A startling ring on the cellphone. Who would call this early in the morning(?) I answered it with, "Um, hello?" It was the DW in a panic. "Honey, do we have any pliars somewhere?" she asked. My mind went blank.... where DID those pliars end up when we loaded up the motorhome at Sleazyday (aka Lazydays) just 10 days ago? My curiosity got the better of me and I just HAD to ask her.... "Why do you need pliars at 6:38 in the morning??"

Her voice was full of anxiety, her breathing was labored. "Cuz the ^%#$^% HANDLE just broke off the [expletive] toilet - That's why!!!" She continued.... "and I need to flush it"

Not one to let a damsel in distress suffer, I told her I would attend to it after I got off work, and mentioned there were plenty of trees behind the motorhome. She didn't think that last part was too humorous. (I did!!)

4:30pm- I arrived at home to survey the damage. Yep, she was right. Handle and Shaft was lying on the floor. Now where does one find parts for the Dometic Sealand Concerto commodes this late in the afternoon? All of the dealers laughed at me, including Campingworld and Sleazydays, and a few others. They all seemed to mention dealers in the state of California have them. I mentioned that I am only 2,400 miles away and that would not do us much good tonight.

Of course this is under "warranty" (right) since we are just 10 days into our 30 day warranty. Lazydays SAID they will order the parts tomorrow. (Right!)

Now I read all over the internet that the Dometic Sealand-Concerto is the worst excuse for a commode that ever came out. At only $500 dollars, too. The advertisments boasts China. I think thats where they come from. The flush lever is made of a high impact plastic that seems is designed for 8 ft/lbs of torque. Far below the 19 ft/lbs required to open the flush valve.

At a bargain $52 to purchase one (from dealers in California) you'd think they would have put some thought into using metal in the mechanism?

It will be a few more days until we (hopefully) see one.

I have my eye on a tall Pine only 60 feet behind from where we are parked.

New Port Richey, FL
NR4A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Dateline: Sept 28th... it was a cool, crisp Florida morning at 6:27 AM. I had just kissed the DW goodbye and headed for my office. Life was good.

6:36 AM; A startling ring on the cellphone. Who would call this early in the morning(?) I answered it with, "Um, hello?" It was the DW in a panic. "Honey, do we have any pliars somewhere?" she asked. My mind went blank.... where DID those pliars end up when we loaded up the motorhome at Sleazyday (aka Lazydays) just 10 days ago? My curiosity got the better of me and I just HAD to ask her.... "Why do you need pliars at 6:38 in the morning??"

Her voice was full of anxiety, her breathing was labored. "Cuz the ^%#$^% HANDLE just broke off the [expletive] toilet - That's why!!!" She continued.... "and I need to flush it"

Not one to let a damsel in distress suffer, I told her I would attend to it after I got off work, and mentioned there were plenty of trees behind the motorhome. She didn't think that last part was too humorous. (I did!!)

4:30pm- I arrived at home to survey the damage. Yep, she was right. Handle and Shaft was lying on the floor. Now where does one find parts for the Dometic Sealand Concerto commodes this late in the afternoon? All of the dealers laughed at me, including Campingworld and Sleazydays, and a few others. They all seemed to mention dealers in the state of California have them. I mentioned that I am only 2,400 miles away and that would not do us much good tonight.

Of course this is under "warranty" (right) since we are just 10 days into our 30 day warranty. Lazydays SAID they will order the parts tomorrow. (Right!)

Now I read all over the internet that the Dometic Sealand-Concerto is the worst excuse for a commode that ever came out. At only $500 dollars, too. The advertisments boasts China. I think thats where they come from. The flush lever is made of a high impact plastic that seems is designed for 8 ft/lbs of torque. Far below the 19 ft/lbs required to open the flush valve.

At a bargain $52 to purchase one (from dealers in California) you'd think they would have put some thought into using metal in the mechanism?

It will be a few more days until we (hopefully) see one.

I have my eye on a tall Pine only 60 feet behind from where we are parked.

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
doc
Winnebago Owner

doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You could get a Porta Potty at Walmart to fill in while the main unit is broken.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ahhhhh, Sam...brings back fond memories of last winter when DH 'flushed'.....and the foot pedal for water control fell off!!! Water just kept running/filling up the pot....he was in his birthday suit and couldn't get outside to shut the water off! He was in a panic.. (Yes, I went out and turned it off---laughing all the while at the visual!)

Gotta LUV rv'ing!

Hope you get your 'go power' back soon.

Rose
Old 09-29-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I think we have the same potty - our big problem was the handle set screw slowly backing out ultimately causing the handle to fall off. After trying to just tighten the set screw two times, I finally used removeable thread-locker on the screw. It better not back out now or I might braze it on next time.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I finally used removeable thread-locker on the screw. It better not back out now or I might braze it on next time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, If you braze it on - Im afraid the plastic shaft it connects to will melt. It is
REALLY a pretty lousy design - and the materials are very cheap and far from rugged.

Yes, we have the same one- the SeaLand Concerto
model 3210P. Lazydays service dept told me they "ordered one" and it would be shipped overnight. Well, not believing them too much I called Dometic Sanitation today to order just the shaft kit - Not the whole assembly, mind you. The young lady on the phone told me they were out of stock, but they could build me the part and ship it late next week. BTW - only a bargain at $52 USD.

Wonder how Lazydays can get one shipped next day when the manufacturer doesn't even have them??? It amazes me. Of course - it's been 2 days now and the next day shipper didn't keep their promise. Or maybe Lazydays didn't keep theirs.

We are considering junking this SeaLand and installing a Thetford pedal type. The readings I've found on the internet preach the Thetfords are a better and more reliable product.

Don't forget to flush twice.... just not too hard so you don't shear off the handle shaft. (p/n 385311004)

(Got the A/C fixed today if you didnt read my other post)

S & S

New Port Richey, FL
Old 09-29-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Rose-

Thank you for sharing your story with us!! We got a kick out of it.

Yes, quite a visual indeed!!

New Port Richey, FL