Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrTransistor:
Let us know if there is a discount! Oh, and for the right price, I could machine a nice wedge for you out of 7075T6 Aluminum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Could you use 6061T6 instead - that was my favorite alloy for the boat.

I would love to use a Flying J - they just aren't everywhere that I need fuel. Actually I even had foaming issues with the low volume pump but it wasn't as bad as the high volume pumps.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:27 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Yes, I also machine Aircraft aluminum. It's just that 7075 is as strong as mild steel, it's bright, stays polished, and is great to work with.

Sorry to here that there aren't enough Flying J's. We also get the foaming and the nozzles cut off about 10 gallons short of packed full. Takes maybe 5 minutes to get to that point, then another 6 or 7 minutes to get the last 10 gallons in.

As of our last trip to Raton, we're averaging right about 9 mpg at 38,936 miles. Can't wait to retire so I can choose not to buck those nasty headwinds out here!

Has anyone installed or heard of anybody who installs auxiliary fuel tanks on RV's? Our 40WD has a completely empty span between the frame rails forward of the differential that looks like it would easily hold an 80 gallon tank. My dream would be to fill up in GA and make the round trip to Key West and back to GA without having to fill up in FL (got to learn to love those state taxes some day).
Old 01-16-2006, 12:30 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Mark - I was looking at the 100 gallon tank with dreams of having it changed out for 150 but that would be impossible due to a lack of room.

If you can stand the weight, why not add an auxillary tank? There are fuel transfer pumps available. I think if the tank and mounting were designed and engineered properly it would be just as safe as the main tank. Don't know of anybody that builds custom tanks - that might be a good question for rv.net

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:59 AM   #24
Administrator Emeritus

Mark,back when I was a "fiver puller" I had one of these tanks installed in my Ford P/U with tremendous success.
I would imagine they would be able to,at the very least,lead you in the right direction.

Very knowledgeable folks.....

Transfer Flow

Tank Installers for Transfer Flow
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:01 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MrTransistor:
We fill from both sides and can top off the tank with 80 gallons or more in about 12 minutes or so. Their 1 cent per gallon discount to RV owners brings them in at 2 to 4 cents per gallon under T.C. of A., Loves, and Pilot most every time we've checked.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You do realize that you are searching for fuel stations to save $1.60 to $3.20 per fill up don't you.?? How much did that motorhome cost?
J/K.
zertrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #26
Winnebago Master

Hi zertrider,
The hunt is for those states that have much lower taxes on diesel fuel, like TX, OK, VA, and GA. You could fill up in Hurricane, W.Va. at the TC of A at $2.659 or at the Flying J in Wytheville, Va. for $2.239. With an 85 gallon fill-up, that comes to $35.70 cents. On a 5000 mile trip, good planning can save you a couple a hundred dollars. I hate getting caught with an empty tank in a state with high diesel taxes like CA, FL, or CT.

rebelsbeach,
I've checked the Transfer Flow web site in the past and it seems like they cater mostly to pick-up truck owners. I will check again since it seems like long range RV tanks could be a lucrative market for them to tap.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:22 PM   #27
Administrator Emeritus

I agree Mark,but maybe calling one of those "installing dealers" would get you the result,not necessarily calling Transfer Flow per se.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Hi rebelsbeach,
Just downloaded the catalog from Transfer Flow. Searched for anything applicable and came up short. Next step is to check with the installer outfit referred to here in Albuquerque. The biggest problem I see is not transferring fuel from the auxiliary tank to the main but actually filling the auxiliary tank. Where would you put the filler pipes? I suppose with valves, the transfer pump could be used to move fuel from the main to the auxiliary tank and overflow back to the main. I'll measure that space on a warmer day.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Download Transfer Flows catalog and go to ICC tanks. I think that's what might work.

Catalogue/ICC tank
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

Hi DonavonP,
Yep, that's the one I looked through. Looked closely at the ICC tanks and can't figure how you would mount them between the frame rails on a Horizon. Best would be a tank identical to the main tank but a little shorter. The straps should be available and mounting would be easy. The only problem would be plumbing. Thanks for the suggestion though. I would also like more fresh water on board for long trips to the boonies but again, the problem is plumbing. You can get fresh water tanks in about every description to fit every nook and cranny but getting the water in and out of the tank easily and conveniently is the problem. Good night all.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:33 AM   #31
Administrator Emeritus

For those of us that don't want to alter our piping here is still the (copyrighted by John Canfield) best alternative....