Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2016, 10:29 PM   #21

I can tell you I ain't climbing up the ladder. I'm 3 plus Benjamin's.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
I can tell you I ain't climbing up the ladder. I'm 3 plus Benjamin's.
As a member of that club, I applaud your leadership
Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Member here too - but 19 years working on these things early in my working career left me very aware of the consequences if regular roof maintenance is left lacking. That same experience won't let me trust anyone else doing this work for me....

For that reason the ladder on our older MH has been completely rebuilt, replacing all the plastic (bakelite?), and rusty components as required. Yes it flexes, but I can't help but notice the wings on any airliner I've flown on do the same....

That said, I do carry a nice heavy duty, rated for my weight, step ladder with me and work from that when possible. I've used that to transition to the roof ladder on occasion as well (as noted above).

My point is, water intrusion destroys more coaches than all other reasons combined. You can take it from there....
Old 04-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #24
Winnebago Camper

240 lbs. here. Yep 2 or 3 times a year I use it, don't like it,but use it for wash, wax, inspections. Before I go up , I give it a good look, and pull on it to see if it feels tight. Use the step ladder for the first 6 feet when possible.

Years ago, looking at used rigs, I climbed up the ladder. When I came down, not being familiar with the ladder, I missed the bottom gap and fell about 4' landing flat on my back. Knocked the wind out of me. The DW was concerned but also laughing at me trying to get up like nothing had happened. Along with a few other shoppers on the lot. Hence: I HATE THOSE DAMN LADDERS.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

I'd never use the built in ladder on any RV. I don't believe they have a ANSI safety factor of 4:1 that industrial ladders have nor can you find any that have a decent rating to start with. So I'd always carry a good industrial rated ladder and not a "toy" one that I see on most RVs.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Are you using the ladder to transition on to the roof? That thought (getting on or off) give me even more willies than the rear ladder by quite a factor.

If not transitioning to/from, how is the inspection/maintenance going, regarding anything out of reach while on the side of the coach?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:57 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Only put one foot on the ladder at a time, that way it's only half the load. Ain't that the way most women use scales.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

I'm over 250 and I get around it very simply. I get someone else to go up the ladder.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Maybe it's just me, but I've never had a problem using the ladder on any of the five class A's we've had. I'm about 210 lbs. but even if I was more I would just use it. And when I do use it, I almost always have something in one hand that prevents me from using it properly. So, I grab ahold with one hand, get one foot on, lean in and quickly grab the next rung. Up I go! And I'm 68 years old!

I will say, our Itasca is the first coach that has the two piece ladder and I hate that. I just don't see the point. Always have to unlock the storage compartment and retrieve the lower part of the ladder before I can begin. What a waste of time!

But, as far as just trusting and using the ladder, I have no problem with that.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #30

They did something different in 2013 with the facelift because the lower part of the ladder no longer fits in the cabinet, even though it still has hooks in there.

I will say that ladder is like a staircase compared to the ladder I climbed every trip out on the back of our fifthwheel.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

OK I'm 310 and use the ladders all the time. I do have to use another ladder to get started due to how high it is off the ground. Every now and then I will use my extension ladder to get on the roof but not that often. I'll keep doing it until it breaks or I break.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

My reasons against RV ladders.

I've never seen and RV ladder that I would totally trust.
I don't like the look of them on a coach as it spoils the clean lines.
I'd rather not leave a easy way for someone to climb on top to do something nefarious.