Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The deal is done!

Well, we're the proud owners of a 2003 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom coach! The unit was delivered today, and we found nothing unexpected. Our 1997 Holiday Rambler DP unit went off in trade, and I was more sad than I thought I'd be...actually. I wouldn't call it buyer's remorse at all, because the new unit is in GREAT shape. But the HR was our first DP and it broke us into that technology, as it were. Hopefully someone else will break in to the DP world with it, and enjoy it as much as we did.

But as for the UF unit... WOW, is that thing built! It rides as smooth as silk on new Goodyear 670's (rear), and one year-old Goodrich tires on the front. Sure there are little things that need attention here and there, but it's a nearly eight year-old coach, so I suppose a little of that is to be expected. I am sure glad I went with the side radiator option though--the amount of exposure in the engine compartment is incredible.

By the way, at about 60mph average on the way up from Kentucky, the driver put 675 miles on the rig, and used about 75 gallons of fuel--and that is including running the Hydronic heat unit last night, and two 30-minute periods of stop & go traffic in the Chicago area. Not too shabby!

Thanks to everyone who gave input on the unit--especially AFChap, whose input was invaluable in making the decision.

Now if (when?) DW throws me out, I won't mind living in the MH so much...

TB

(Proud of my new signature!)
tcbetka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Awsome! love to see some pics. We will get a DP some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbetka View Post
Well, we're the proud owners of a 2003 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom coach! The unit was delivered today, and we found nothing unexpected. Our 1997 Holiday Rambler DP unit went off in trade, and I was more sad than I thought I'd be...actually. I wouldn't call it buyer's remorse at all, because the new unit is in GREAT shape. But the HR was our first DP and it broke us into that technology, as it were. Hopefully someone else will break in to the DP world with it, and enjoy it as much as we did.

But as for the UF unit... WOW, is that thing built! It rides as smooth as silk on new Goodyear 670's (rear), and one year-old Goodrich tires on the front. Sure there are little things that need attention here and there, but it's a nearly eight year-old coach, so I suppose a little of that is to be expected. I am sure glad I went with the side radiator option though--the amount of exposure in the engine compartment is incredible.

By the way, at about 60mph average on the way up from Kentucky, the driver put 675 miles on the rig, and used about 75 gallons of fuel--and that is including running the Hydronic heat unit last night, and two 30-minute periods of stop & go traffic in the Chicago area. Not too shabby!

Thanks to everyone who gave input on the unit--especially AFChap, whose input was invaluable in making the decision.

TB

Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Here is an album on photobucket.

The password is: coach

TB
Old 11-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We enjoyed looking at the pictures. VERY NICE!!!!
We love your new coach.
Thanks

Quote:
Here is an album on photobucket.

The password is: coach

TB
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

TB

You should be proud. Very nice! I have not had one problem with my 2000 UA. They are very nice. You made a good decision
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yes, it is a very nice coach as far as we can tell. There was a very slight hydraulic oil leak from the top of the reservoir for the slide outs--but I think there must be a vent, and someone possibly filled the reservoir a bit too much? It was just serviced at the dealer, and when I inspected the reservoir there was a small puddle of fluid surrounding the plug. The plug itself was barely snug, so I snugged it up with a wrench yesterday, and it seems to have stopped. But a friend told me his vent plug was vented...so that might simply be the issue.

The slides seem to work perfectly, as far as I can tell. We ran them in & out two or three times, and there were no issues whatsoever.

Other than that though, I can't find any serious issues. There are a couple of small things that you would expect to see with a (nearly) eight year-old coach, but nothing major that we've seen thus far. I was tempted to spend about $1300 on a one-year ESP from Good Sam's Club with a $500 deductible; simply because we're much likely to find amiss something in the first year. There's an option to extend out to three years, but I don't know that I would do that--I am just looking for a way to hedge a but on the first yet; while I come up to speed on the systems on this monster! But it looks to be in such good shape, that I just don't know if it's necessary. You find about as many differing opinions on these ESPs as you find people to ask on them, and I've spent several hours researching them online. For the benefit:value ratio, it seems like Good Sam's plan is about as good as anything, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the great comments though folks. Much-appreciated!

TB
Old 11-07-2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

CONGRATS on the new coach!!
Quote:
(when?) DW throws me out, I won't mind living in the MH so much...
My thoughts exactly!!

I WOULD like to have that hydronic heat, hoping it would give me warm tile floors in the AM ...it got down to 32 here in Savannah last night...
Quote:
very slight hydraulic oil leak from the top of the reservoir for the slide outs
Mine is always messy. I tightened mine with a wrench early on, and then a dealer tech told me it was "over-tightened" and should only be finger tight in order for the vent to work correctly, so I haven't touched it since except for cleaning it once, but it got messy again. If someone tops off the fluid level when the jacks and/or slides out extended, and then retract the jacks/slides, it WILL likely overflow. I did check mine once since, but not in the past 3-4 years.

ENJOY THE UF !!!