Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Thank You WIT

On 7/18 we drove to Forest City, IA to the Winnebago Visitor Center to take the factory tour and visit my wife's cousin who was attending the rally. After taking the factory tour with her cousin we tried to give her a ride back to their motor home in the rally grounds. We were stopped at the entrance and told we needed to get a pass. So back we went to the visitor center only to be told that because we are not owners and WIT members, we could not enter as a guest. My wife's cousin explained that we took the tour because we were in the process of deciding which brand motor home we would be buying and were considering a Winnebago and she wanted us to see their Grand Tour. The staff in the WIT office were rude and refused to let us in. So thanks for narrowing my list. I will not include Winnebago in my search for our new RV. I would not want to associate with someone that thinks they are so exclusive as not to let family visit a rally and see their products.
WeRv4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

They should pay YOU for visiting.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Maybe you were visiting at the height of their busy season and for security reasons if you are not registered you can't enter? Not making excuses for rude behavior, but certainly one event staffed by lots of volunteers wouldn't stop me from a purchase.

Just sayin......l
Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

During the GNR period, no one can drive to their motor home with the exception of handicap and "C" sections so dont feel discriminated against. You can only drive to parking areas otherwise and only if registered. You should not feel hard done by - all registered attendees are aware of these rules so your real issue is with your wife's cousin for not doing her homework - she should have known. Had you let her off at the front gate, there is free transportation available within the grounds that would get her closer to her coach than you could have driving. You will find Winnebago owners are not an exclusive group - we just realize sometimes there are rules that we must respect. Welcome to the forum - I see this was your first post - you will find much help here if you have questions on virtually any RV made as you search out a new RV.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

WeRv4fun;

My wife Bev and I are both mobility challenged. We both have handicapped permits. We just returned from Winnebago GNR. We were parked on the Wisconsin row near many of our Wisconsin friends. Other than when we were first parked and allowed to transfer items from our car to the motor home we were not allowed to bring our car to the motor home. We had to park in designated parking areas. Do to our mobility issues we rented a golf cart from Miller & Sons to travel the grounds and get to our car for transportation out of the Rally Grounds.

You were not discriminated against as that everyone is treated the same. Until I purchased a Winnebago product and Joined WIT I was not allowed to attend the GNR by car or motor home. I have always found the WIT staff to be friendly and helpful. They were just following the rules because I believe their job demands it. Putting on a Rally with over a 1000 rigs requires that rules be enforced.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have not ever seen any rudeness with the Winnebago folks or the Forest City residents.
Just because one can't have their way during a huge event like the GNR should not be posting those folks as "rude" . Rules are rules. They have ALWAYS been helpful and friendly to us in our 10 past visits there. Always have let us camp with electric free of charge.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm not a big WIT fan either. After buying our motorhome we received numerous invites to join, so we sent in our registration with payment and never got any response. From what I can tell not a very organized operation.
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Even if you were a WIT member you would have had to buy a $30 daily pass to the GNR.

I think Lichtsinn Motors would have been glad to show you what ever you wanted to see at their facility.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote