Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Mods - some posts on this thread are a wonderful example of how crazy rumors start. My brother-in-law's nephew's ex-sister-in-law heard from her steady that Fidel Castro actually died five years ago. We can do better than this!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

It a very simple exercise to unsubscribe. That's what I do.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:58 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
It a very simple exercise to unsubscribe. That's what I do.

Russell
Very good idea. Thanks.

Duncan
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
It is a fact. If you go to their website you will not find the Itasca name anywhere.
If you click on the picture for the Itasca models it still shows the Itasca name on the coaches but other than that it has in fact disappeared.

Note article in attached link.

Winnebago Phases Out Itasca; Part of 2-Year Plan | RV Business
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 12:20 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza Tom View Post
If you click on the picture for the Itasca models it still shows the Itasca name on the coaches but other than that it has in fact disappeared.

Note article in attached link.

Winnebago Phases Out Itasca; Part of 2-Year Plan | RV Business
Yep - only 2014's or earlier:

Meridian Overview | Winnebago RVs
Old 11-28-2015, 12:31 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Article is a little strange - says it won't impact the dealers - how about their customers?
Old 11-28-2015, 01:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
Article is a little strange - says it won't impact the dealers - how about their customers?
Itasca was never anything more than a Winnebago branding effort where they thought that having two brands would give them more sales, they never had separate physical designs or separate factory assembly lines. The only deltas between the two brands were the exterior appearance was slightly different cosmetically and the interior decorating choices.

Don't see that it impacts dealers or customers as the same amount of choice is still available for interior and exterior schemes for each particular model line.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
Mods - some posts on this thread are a wonderful example of how crazy rumors start. My brother-in-law's nephew's ex-sister-in-law heard from her steady that Fidel Castro actually died five years ago. We can do better than this!
If you are referring to the loss of the Itasca brand as a "crazy rumor", you are simply mistaken, or in denial.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:17 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Maybe I should take the "Winnebago" nameplate off my Itasca.
Rich
Old 11-30-2015, 07:42 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Itasca was never anything more than a Winnebago branding effort where they thought that having two brands would give them more sales, they never had separate physical designs or separate factory assembly lines. The only deltas between the two brands were the exterior appearance was slightly different cosmetically and the interior decorating choices.
Somewhere in my mind, as a kid, I seem to recall that Winnebago had some kind of exclusive deal with one of the Big 3, and then bought Itasca (which was a totally separate company) which they kept separate to allow them to build on other chassis. So Itascas pre-Winnebago were totally different coaches, then over time became upscale Winnebagos, and then in more recent times just became a brand -- however, in many states, I suspect the franchises are different (if you want an insight into modern vehicle franchise law, just look and see Tesla's issues). Probably some wacky laws in there...and I seem to recall Texas has some of the wackiest vehicle franchise laws

Steve
Old 11-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

Iirc in the 70s Winnebago's were on Ford or Dodge, Itasca's on Chevys. My 69 Chieften was a Dodge
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:36 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Somewhere in my mind, as a kid, I seem to recall that Winnebago had some kind of exclusive deal with one of the Big 3, and then bought Itasca (which was a totally separate company) which they kept separate to allow them to build on other chassis. So Itascas pre-Winnebago were totally different coaches, then over time became upscale Winnebagos, and then in more recent times just became a brand -- however, in many states, I suspect the franchises are different (if you want an insight into modern vehicle franchise law, just look and see Tesla's issues). Probably some wacky laws in there...and I seem to recall Texas has some of the wackiest vehicle franchise laws

Steve
Steve: I believe you are correct about WBGO having an "exclusive" chassis supplier agreement and I think it was with Dodge, but I believe WBGO created the Itasca brand as a way around that exclusive arrangement. Other posts above seem to confirm that is how Itasca came to be.

I do know that the very first Itasca Class A (serial # 0001) is inside the RV museum behind the Jack Sizemore RV dealership in TX. It is built on a Chevy chassis. I'll try to post pictures...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1277.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	421.5 KB
ID:	113100

Name:	DSCN1279.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	113101

Name:	DSCN1278.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	476.0 KB
ID:	113102
Old 12-01-2015, 02:21 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Doesn't make sense. If so then if you own a GMC Sierra truck you can't have a Chevy dealer work on it. Lincoln and Ford, Dodge and Chrysler and so on.
You can have any dealer 'work' on it, but not necessarily warranty repairs. I once had a new GMC Crew cab dually that the A/C compressor locked up and took out the serpentine belt. The A/C compressor did not have a separate belt on that model production so there was no way to bypass it and replace the serpentine belt. It was a holiday weekend and I was pulling a fifth-wheel and went a coupe of miles to the Chevrolet dealer. Long story short, the dually had to be towed 35 miles away to the closest GMC dealer for warranty repairs and thereby took out the holiday weekend and trip, as it was too close to closing time for repairs.

I could have paid for a new A/C compressor and serpentine belt out of my pocket and had the work done at the Chevrolet dealer, but it wasn't worth the $1,000+ to me since it was new and under warranty.

Repairs on a GMC at a Chevrolet dealer could have been done, at my expense but for warranty to cover the costs, it had to go to a GMC dealer, even thought both brands build the same trucks on the exact same assembly line... -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Steve: I believe you are correct about WBGO having an "exclusive" chassis supplier agreement and I think it was with Dodge, but I believe WBGO created the Itasca brand as a way around that exclusive arrangement. Other posts above seem to confirm that is how Itasca came to be.
I'm going to beg forgiveness since I was all of 7 years old when that coach was built Those pictures are very cool!

Steve
Old 12-01-2015, 09:40 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

We, here in Texas, call folks that quote the "law" in those terms.... Sidewalk Lawyers. That's bizarre... You're probably better off not having that dealership work on anything.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

And just announced today:
Winnebago bought the Country Coach facility and is adding the brand to it's portfolio.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:19 AM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
And just announced today:
Winnebago bought the Country Coach facility and is adding the brand to it's portfolio.
I saw the news release from Winnebago and they also plan to move the production of selected Winnebago diesel coaches to this factory.

It also sounded like they plan to build Country Coaches as close to the originals as possible.

Either way this is great for Winnebago
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

On the cross branding and warranties I have been told by Texas Motorcycle Dealers that they face the same thing due to legal issues with how the warranty contracts are viewed. Not sure if its due to the legal issues if a customer takes it to arbitration and such but in some states if this is the case. Piaggio for instance makes Piaggio, Vespa, MotoGuzzi, Aprilia, Gilera and Derby motorcycle/scooters with many being identical while others use the same components on different frames. They can work on the other brands out of warranty however they have to buy the parts from a licensed dealer.

The local Piaggio/Vespa dealer had been getting Aprilia parts for me in Florida until a few months ago when he called to order Aprilia parts and was refused since if they were caught he was told they could loose their business license at which point the main office would drop their franchise. Its not unique and it appears that its something that's been comming to a head as the expression goes.

Tags
texas