Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Strange Leak??

Staying in St Petersburg Fl. this week. Have had driving rains all night hitting the back of the coach. I have an 07 Suncruiser 35L and the rear slide where the cupboards above the bed is letting in water. Cannot find the source - nothing wet on top or near the seal - only the front wood of cupboards are wet.

Any help out there?
Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem with my '97 Adventurer and it has to do with 'driving rain'. I'm guessing what has happened is rain blew in under the slide awning and found it's way down the cabinet. You can minimize this by placing a 'dam' under the ends of the slide awning to stop the rain. Good Luck and sorry, I know how you feel.

But the true travelers are they who leave for leaving’s sake
Saying continuously, without knowing why: ‘Let us go on’.
Paraphrased from Baudelaire’s ‘The Journey’
thelastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I tried to find the WIT Club News article but could'nt. Maybe someone else knows where it is. I had the same thing happen, water down the wall behind the headboard. It is from the overflow of water from the boot in the overhead cabinet that is around the slide lock. There is a drain, small hole on outside upper wall of slide, that is plugged. You need to take a pipe cleaner and clean from the outside this drain. Careful because it is a rubber tube. Someone should have more help.
They can be kinked, disconnected, or too long. Try a pipe cleaner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Heart View Post
Staying in St Petersburg Fl. this week. Have had driving rains all night hitting the back of the coach. I have an 07 Suncruiser 35L and the rear slide where the cupboards above the bed is letting in water. Cannot find the source - nothing wet on top or near the seal - only the front wood of cupboards are wet.

Any help out there?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tom, I hear you man. I am just across the Skyway in Cortez in a campground, we got 4" of rain today along with 40+ mph winds. I replaced the steel brackets for the clearance lights above the windshield yesterday before it started raining again last night. I had to chisel out the old rusted brackets set in epoxy and I guess my pounding broke the windshield seal in several areas. Really bad timing. I had catch pans sitting on the dash all last night and today and caught close to 2 gallons of water. I have a glass company coming Saturday to replace the passenger windshield that has been stress cracked about a month and I will have them fix the driver side leaks while they are here. Ah, but the sunshine will be back tomorrow. Glad the grand kids are coming next week and didn't come this week.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hopefully this can help if it is the drains for the slideout locks.
Just click on drains above.
Lots of good info here at service tips.

Quote:

Any help out there?
Old 04-01-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Tom, I hear you man. I am just across the Skyway in Cortez in a campground, we got 4" of rain today along with 40+ mph winds. I replaced the steel brackets for the clearance lights above the windshield yesterday before it started raining again last night. I had to chisel out the old rusted brackets set in epoxy and I guess my pounding broke the windshield seal in several areas. Really bad timing. I had catch pans sitting on the dash all last night and today and caught close to 2 gallons of water. I have a glass company coming Saturday to replace the passenger windshield that has been stress cracked about a month and I will have them fix the driver side leaks while they are here. Ah, but the sunshine will be back tomorrow. Glad the grand kids are coming next week and didn't come this week.
CJ, what campground are you at? we are at Sarasota Bay. and yes it was quite a day.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I think it's quite fitting that were able to set a record rainfall amount in just a week!! Going to get my northern ass back home where it rains only every other day.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Could it be leaking in through the rear air conditioner?
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Could it be leaking in through the rear air conditioner?
No - I don't have roof a/c. Ithink it may be a clogged drain - will check it out when I get home.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Don't have that leak but had water dripping in above the driver's seat right at the wall. This while I was driving through that storm to get back north....
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Well talked to my service guy and he advised me that on my model 35L there is no drain on the bedroom slide out. He did say that a huge amount of rain on the top would eventually probably leak through.

Will keep an eye on it.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

That's good news, but I wonder where the water is getting in. I see some rv's, seems like 5th wheels, with no slide covers and wonder how they do with rain and if they do have a problem or the water just runs off the slide top. It would be interesting where your water is getting in though.

Quote:
Well talked to my service guy and he advised me that on my model 35L there is no drain on the bedroom slide out. He did say that a huge amount of rain on the top would eventually probably leak through.

Will keep an eye on it.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
That's good news, but I wonder where the water is getting in. I see some rv's, seems like 5th wheels, with no slide covers and wonder how they do with rain and if they do have a problem or the water just runs off the slide top. It would be interesting where your water is getting in though.
To be honest - the storm that caused the leak was the exception. It was being driven by strong winds with torrential downpours - all friggin day! The wind driven rain I think is the culprit. Should it leak again I will have to take it in and have it inspected.