Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

storage doors gas spring removal

I have a 2003 Itasca and some of the gas springs no longer will support the weight of the doors.

Thought it would be simple to remove them but having trouble and thought I'd ask before really screwing something up.

The springs have an end cap (?) with slots for screwdriver and I've pried these off.

Thought the spring would then pop off the ball with a little force.

But they didn't. So, do I just need to use more force or am I missing something?

Thanks.
ahobgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Need to make sure the whole metal clip is off then it comes right off nothing else to hold it in
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the help but there is no metal clip.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

ahobgood,
I just went out to ours and, the gas shock/spring, has a 1/2 round clip, shaed like a "C" that is pryed off and then, I hit the shock in an outward direction with the palm of my hand it came right off the ball. But, remember, if there's any life left in the shocks that are attempting to hold those heavy doors open, you'll have to support the door while removing the shock from the ball or, there will be a bind on that end of the shock if you dont support it.

Now, unless your shock end is retained in a different mannor, it should act exactly like mine just did. Some of the shocks use a wire clip that is inserted in a tiny hole and the rotated to lock it onto the ball but, ours is not like that.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Mine don't have the C clips but after looking at it again I decided that the pry off end cap had to be the Clip.

And it was. I just had to use a little more force.

Rubber mallet did the trick.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I just replaced all the springs on my Adverturer. I first removed the brackets holding the gas springs. Prop the door all the way up to relieve any binding when removing the brackets. On my first couple of attempts to remove the ball lbrackets from the gas springs, instead of the "C" shaped holder spring popping out it would cock to one side and try to rotate. After a little practice I was able to snap the holder spring out on the first attempt. On a couple I had to get the holder spring started with a screw driver then finish with a small needle nose plier.

Jim
WinniJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Cool happy you got it
Old 10-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahobgood View Post
I have a 2003 Itasca and some of the gas springs no longer will support the weight of the doors.

Thought it would be simple to remove them but having trouble and thought I'd ask before really screwing something up.

The springs have an end cap (?) with slots for screwdriver and I've pried these off.

Thought the spring would then pop off the ball with a little force.

But they didn't. So, do I just need to use more force or am I missing something?

Thanks.
My 2002 suncruisr has those same kind of lifts. As you found out once those plasic plugs are pried out they will come off. I have replaced several of mine and the new ones from winnie just snap on now. no cap
Heating man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, removal, storage