Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Stepwell Cover

2002 Itasca Horizon 36LD.

Ok, the slide cover for my step well would not open (slide out and cover the well) the other day, when I hit the bypass switch I could pull it out.
Found the pneumatic actuator and switched the relay's from one end to the other.
Now it will open but not shut. When I close the bypass switch it opens and covers the well and when I open the switch I can pull it in by hand.
So one of the relay's is out. Called to replace it and they will not sell me the relay they want to sell me the entire actuator for over $500.00. (I dont need a stepwell cover that bad and can make it work using the bypass).

But it would be nice if anyone knew where I could buy just the relay.
I tried the company marked on the part but it is a German company and they do not have a US number I could find to call.

The Winnebago part numger for the entire assembly is
124625-01-000 EA VALVE - AIR - DOUBLE SOLENOID

But all I need is one of the relays on the end. Any Ideas.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to idenphones
Can you post a picture of the relay?

Most relays are quite simple to come up with a substitute. Now because I said that this will be a real bear, just watch!
idenphones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Do you think it could be an HWH slide cover mechanism? Their website shows that they make such an animal. If it is made by them maybe you can get parts directly from them. I think their website is Welcome to HWH Corporation

Good Luck
Old 04-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Stogie -

What or where is the Bypass Switch you referred to? I have a 2004 Meridian and am not aware of any switch other than the actuating switch that runs the step cover out.

Thank you for supplying information I didn't even know about.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Try WW Grainger, or any good industrial electric supply house. Needed a relay for a yacht dumbwaiter (don't ask) that was made in Holland. Took the old one in in Florida and they crossed it up. Took a while using voltmeter to check continuity, pencil and paper and old relay as reference to figure out new wire connections (had about 30) because it was different brand but it worked and was about $20. This was years ago so price might be more. But better than $500
Good luck
KC
Clonetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

On my 2004 Vectra the specific parts list I pulled say the Slidewell cover is made by Kwikee.

Here's a link to the doc, may or may not be for your unit. http://www.kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/StepWellCover.pdf

If it looks right, you might try them for parts.

Wagonmaster, I think the OP is referring to the emergency cable release located under the plastic plate on the step cover.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My Horizon has a bypass switch mounted on the front wall of the stepwell that releases the pressure on the pneumatic stepwell cover. It is designed to allow you to open the cover manualy if the switch or actuator fails. I am using it to control the cover now but want to fix it right.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
On my 2004 Vectra the specific parts list I pulled say the Slidewell cover is made by Kwikee.

Here's a link to the doc, may or may not be for your unit. http://www.kwikee.com/PDFDocuments/StepWellCover.pdf

If it looks right, you might try them for parts.

Wagonmaster, I think the OP is referring to the emergency cable release located under the plastic plate on the step cover.
This is not the system I have. Mine has a pneumatic bypass switch not a cable one.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:59 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Ok Stogie, sorry.

Did you try pulling your specific parts list on the Winnebago web site? Mine actually gives the name "Kwikee" as the manufacturer of my cover, so you might be able to see who made yours.

If you haven't done it, you'll need your RV Serial Number (Winne, not VIN) and go to this site WebCD Web Service Parts Catalog and click on the 'Serial Parts List' button in the lower left side of the page. Will give you a listing of all the parts used to build your specific RV. Very handy.

By the way, great tag line. How true.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote