Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

I have the Swintek slide system in my 2015 Winnebago Vista. After 2 1/2 years of use I have found that in additon to maximizing the forces the motors can apply by only operating the slide motors with the chassis engine running, it is very important to minimize the forces needed to move the slides in or out. I bought a can of the $ 20 lubricant that Winnebago recommends to lube the spot on the motor shafts that have the bearings on the motor shafts that rotate above the gears that engage the pawls in the slide tracks . Makes a big difference. I also spray silicone lubricant on both ends of the nylon rollers that the full wall and dinette slide moves in and out on. Also makes a huge difference. It seems like I need to refresh this several times per year. More in dusty conditions in the southwest and in high pine pollen conditions when in the woods in late spring early summer.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Yes - this. But the next step up in DP units require the slides be out before leveling. Sis and BIL learned the hard way with their Entegra after cracking the granite counter top.

The engine needs to be running for the slide motor amp draw, and the bump in volts from the alternator speeds them up as well. AFAIK slides are connected to the chassis batts, at least in mine they are, so if you run them with the motor shut down it can draw the battery down quite a bit. Leveling jacks also use quite a bit of amps as well. So yeah, motor running for sure.
I looked at all of manuals for the DP models above my Forza on the Winnebago website. In each case for the Journey, Tour, and Grand Tour the manual tells you to level before extending the slides. It also tells you to keep the engine running.

Like was said before everyone has different coaches with different systems and the best source for information is your owners manual.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 06:07 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Run Engine

engine running.

Like was said before everyone has different coaches with different systems and the best source for information is your owners manual.

A lot of the manuals are pretty much generic.
Our new to us one (Journey) has no info on our solar system. I might want to put a larger panel on it, but not sure if the controller will take it, or even where its at.

I see no reason to do anything without engine running, or leveling when coach is level.
If not level, something is getting a lot more wear on it.
Lee
Old 03-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Almost any RVmanual absolutley recomends strongly that you keep engine running while leveling becauseof the very large amps draw ofmotors and also always run engine when rooms are to be moved, again for the extra oomph to move the rooms at full amperage that only the engine alternator can deliver, always. Plus rv should always be leveled first to make rooms move more equally balanced on the glides for the motors to work efficiently.

Also on the slide systems unless hydraullic HWH, you always need to hold the switch firmly in until 2 seconds at least after the room stops. Its only during this "stop" that the motors build up amp draw and just prior to shutting off will reset the counter to zero turns for the individual motors so they will always stay in synch while subsequently moving in and out. Same hold for out as for in will keep you out of trouble. And as they direct, if rooms get a bit ouit of synch you should go to "full out" and after stop bring in about 6" and then put out and hold for 2-3 seconds till dead stop. Then do this several more times to resynch the motors to zero at full out. Particularly true for Power Gear sliders with tracks and I believe also for Shcwintech.
GHPOULSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #45
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHPOULSEN View Post
Almost any RVmanual absolutley recomends strongly that you keep engine running while leveling becauseof the very large amps draw ofmotors and also always run engine when rooms are to be moved, again for the extra oomph to move the rooms at full amperage that only the engine alternator can deliver, always. Plus rv should always be leveled first to make rooms move more equally balanced on the glides for the motors to work efficiently.

Then do this several more times to resynch the motors to zero at full out. Particularly true for Power Gear sliders with tracks and I believe also for Shcwintech.
I agree with most all of this.
I was told that holding the room button in longer is to equalize the fluid pressure.
And not to zero out as a computer would.
I have a small leak in the tank that is supposed to equalize the pressure to bring in the room in a straight line, is what a dealer told me anyway.
Lee
Old 04-22-2018, 04:32 AM   #46
Winnebago Camper

I have 31G, slide doesn't work with engine off. Leveling works with engine on or ignition switch partially on. I run engine for both.
Slide, engine on, I hit slide button twice to go out and in, at end of travel I was told by WB to hold 5 seconds, it held resync drive motors on slide.

Leveling, my wheels come off ground on some areas, or I get off level light.i sometimes use manual. Do you ever have this?
Thanks
Old 04-22-2018, 05:13 AM   #47
Winnie-Wise

We always keep the engine running when we use the levelers or move the slides. Better for the batteries doing this.

It is OK to have the front wheels off the ground, never the rear. Better to have leveling blocks though. If you are that far off level I would move to another site.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:59 PM   #48

Personally, you do it your way.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago