Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sofa vs Chairs

Hi
We have a 2005 Voyage 31' I have been considering removing the sofa behind the passenger seat and replacing it with 2 chairs. It's just me and my sweetheart of 33 years now. Thinking we could move two chairs around with the slide out extended for better TV viewing. Has anyone done this?
What type of chairs? Any pics of the swap?
Thanks!

RG in Oregon
PS I did see the post from 2-2010 but there is only one pic from a larger coach. thanks..
RedGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

That's what we're in the process of doing right now. Ordered 3 LazyBoy recliner/rockers last weekend. Supposed to be an 8 week delivery time. Got them on a 20% off sale and it still was over $1,600 for the three of them.

Wife says anyone that comes with us can sleep on the floor! 12 yr old grandson (we're raising him after his mother died) wondered where he was going to sleep. My wife told him he doesn't want to come with us anyway and if he does it's the floor or one of the chairs (he's done that already).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

We are going the other way. We are pulling out the two Euro recliners with ottomans and going back with a sleep sofa. Make you a deal on the recliners. Our sofa is due in the end of the month.

Ken
Old 04-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tell me about the deal you will make me on the two chairs?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We replaced the 1st uncomfortable couch with a second uncomfortable couch. Also got tired of watching TV with neck turned almost 90 degrees. Bought 2 wall hugging, swivel recliners and removed the couch. Best upgrade we made. It works for us but may not be for everyone. We can move the chairs and have enough room for an air mattress for grandkids. We bought them from a company in Indiana that advertises in Motor Home magazine. Charlie Tuit02 JourneyXL-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We removed a 82inch sofa and installed two Lazy Boy recliners with a small narrow table between them with a small lamp attached to the table. We feel more at home with this setup and much more comfortable. We kept the sofa across from this and the next project is to build my own TV lift that mounts behind the sofa so when friends are over,drop the TV out of sight. Next will be to remove the TV from above the windshield and have some storage for.....whatever we feel that needs to be there. Maybe some photos in frames or something.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Funny this topic came up. I was just thinking about doing something different with our setup as well. Of course I haven't mentioned anything to the little lady yet but some of the ideas sound great. Oh, I would be removing the couch for a couple of recliners. At least that's my thought.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Took out the Easy Rest Sofa last year, put in two Lazy Boy recliners and a small table with a lamp. Works great. Also put a new 32 inch flat screen in the cabinet across from the chairs. Love it.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We removed the very uncomfortable hide a bed couch and replaced it with two Euro Recliners two years ago. The ottomans are kind of a pain, but still beats the heck out of that couch. When traveling the chairs are bolted down in the old seatbelt retainer holes and the ottomans are upended in the chairs. Works well.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I am in the middle of couch removal and replace with recliner. I have a raised slide (2.5" higher than floor). I need to extend the floor of the slide, has anyone else had to do this and what did you do?
CapnMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

homeless, I sent you a PM about the Euro recliners.

Ken
Old 04-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the replies so far I really appreciate it! Hoping someone can post some pics too. Our coach is 31ft so the couch is about 6 ft long.
Looks like most of you liked the change.

RG
RedGrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have replaced the original recliner/rocker and L-sofa with Lazy-boy wall hugger combo theater recliners with cup holders and covered storage. They are so much better! Original RV sofa & recliner in garage.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2004 Sightseer 27C and removed the dinette. Installed two LazyBoy wall-hugger recliners. It worked fine. We did clamp them down somewhat for stability when moving....plus a rope thru the chair arms, anchored at both ends. They could be moved for better tube viewing.

An oak folding table from CW and TV trays worked for us.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrizz View Post
Hi
We have a 2005 Voyage 31' I have been considering removing the sofa behind the passenger seat and replacing it with 2 chairs. It's just me and my sweetheart of 33 years now. Thinking we could move two chairs around with the slide out extended for better TV viewing. Has anyone done this?
What type of chairs? Any pics of the swap?
Thanks!

RG in Oregon
PS I did see the post from 2-2010 but there is only one pic from a larger coach. thanks..
Hi there
We just purchased a 2007 sightseer. The owner had put nice swivel chairs in and had the sofa out. He was kind enough to provide both. After discussion at home with friends, family, and some other RV owners, we decided that the sofa was a better fit for us since we have two grandchildren and another on the way. The chairs were nice but we felt the functionality of the sofa was better for us.
Here is a picture of the chairs in the MH and maybe it will help you decide.
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0IbsmzZq5cNHTA

It's a shame, I didn't know about your post, as I just sold them to a neighbor for $50 each last Saturday.

Bill
WH347 is offline   Reply With Quote