Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Is anyone else having a problem with the material and cording on their 2004 Journey? Winnebago Ind. will not stand behind the product because of it being almost 3 yrs old.
Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Is anyone else having a problem with the material and cording on their 2004 Journey? Winnebago Ind. will not stand behind the product because of it being almost 3 yrs old.
Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Suzy, welcome to the forum and the Winnebago Forum
Have you tried the maker of the furniture piece you are having the problem with, sometimes they will stand behind their product.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Suzy:

Welcome to the Winnebago owners forum. Sorry you are having problems with your rig. We are second owners of our Journey and upholstery is in great shape. I did have a local auto upholstery shop beef up the foam padding in the driver's seat. Their charge was very reasonable.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Do you expect Winnebago to "stand behind the product" that is 2 years out of warranty??
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Suzy, welcome to the forum and the Winnebago Forum
Have you tried the maker of the furniture piece you are having the problem with, sometimes they will stand behind their product. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winnebago makes their own sofas....and yes, the material is substandard in my opinion. There have been other posts about the low quality material in other forums....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have lived in our coach for a little over one year which might be the equivalent of years of weekend/vacation use. The upholstery is in great shape; the chair my rear-end is planted in for sometimes hours every day while on the PC shows no signs of distress (unlike parts of my anatomy )

The interior has suffered a little from the cats in spite of our efforts to encourage them to be good members of the family.

The carpet doesn't seem to be great quality, good but certainly not great. I suspect it will need help long before the upholstery.

Another factor could be that Winnie uses different quality materials depending on the model of the rig. I don't know if the Vectra/Horizon has a better grade of fabric or not so my experience might not be comparable to yours.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 05:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Suzy ...

We also have a 2004 Journey ... we have the dinette ... the backs on the dinette are showing lots of wear and the seats are showing some wear ...

Our couch is covered with the same material ... there are a couple of places that are showing some minor wear.

The recliner is covered with a different fabric and it is standing up well ...

We have no pets

We are half timers ... our Journey was new in March of 2004
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John_Canfield:
We have lived in our coach for a little over one year which might be the equivalent of years of weekend/vacation use. The upholstery is in great shape; the chair my rear-end is planted in for sometimes hours every day while on the PC shows no signs of distress (unlike parts of my anatomy )

The interior has suffered a little from the cats in spite of our efforts to encourage them to be good members of the family.

The carpet doesn't seem to be great quality, good but certainly not great. I suspect it will need help long before the upholstery.

Another factor could be that Winnie uses different quality materials depending on the model of the rig. I don't know if the Vectra/Horizon has a better grade of fabric or not so my experience might not be comparable to yours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John,

I had a 95 Vectra and now own a 2001 Adventurer and yes the Vectra had much higher quality fabrics. I designed and built the upholstery equipment used to manufacture modular offices such as competed with Herman Miller etc and the fabrics used in the Vectra were more in tune with what you would have found on our high end products however the Adventurer is upholstered in what we would have called medium weight curtain fabrics.

The stitching appears to be less sturdy but at least it pulls out rather than cut through when it goes which gives you a better chance of stitching it back together.

I wish they still made the thirty five foot twin slide gas Vectra with the floorplan simular to the 35U. That would be the coach of choice for me in layout and quality.

Oh well.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:02 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:
is upholstered in what we would have called medium weight curtain fabrics.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, same here......The sofa in particular....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hmm,

Winnie must use lesser quality fabrics on lower end models then. I'm with Canfield, our 01 is in pretty decent shape as far as upholstrey has help up well. The carpet... Eh... Will need to be replaced within the next year or so.

I do admit, our cat isn't as friendly as he could be on the leather chairs. We now lay towels on them and clip his hind claws religously. One hole was enough for me.

John

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I was just in Forest City for warrenty issues Sept 11 and my rocker recliner material was unravelling and they denied to repair or replace under warrenty. They did offer to repair it if I paid for it. My warrenty had not expired and I sure was not going pay as it was not a year old. I did not notice it the day I purchased but my wife noticed it the next day. Tiffin is getting a new customer.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I think the Itasca line may us higher quality fabrics.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Our Itasca Sunrise 36M Sofa, Recliner and Captains Chairs are covered in fabric that seems to be holding up well.

It is a 2003 delivered October 2002 so it is 4 years old.