Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago

I can attest that quality control has suffered at Winnie. That said it is still a great coach with great design and I always come home to Winnebago.
cpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

Common Knowledge on dreaded Winnie Rusted Windshield Frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I'm glad your windshield repair has held up. I did just post an update in another thread, and unfortunately, mine only held up for about 18 months or so. I took the cheap route this time and used 4" black electrical tape across the top of the windshield, going from the front-end cap, over the Reveal molding, and down to the glass. Looks good since the Reveal molding is black too. Since I posted in 'windshield' threads long ago, I won't go into how Winnebago, back then and to-date, pretends their is no design flaw or rusted windshield / molding issues. I'm supposed to believe that my motorhome is the only one is the US with this problem. Oh, and I guess my father-in-laws Winnebago too! -RT
RT, the dreaded Winnebago Rusted Windshield frames had been well documented on many forums for many years. It's due to design and manufacturing issues when the coach was built. For example, they welded a L-bracket at the bottom of the windshield frame to support the glass when installed after the metal was prepped. Scored the metal and permeated the bond of the paint sealant. Home for rust.

The top of the frame supports moisture, unfortunately, as the glass is bonded with urethane onto the metal frame under the reveal moldings. Holds moisture. It would have been better to formulate a system which runs the moisture off. Good news is Winnebago has one of the strongest windshield systems in the industry. Just read other forums about windshields falling out of the coach due to being held in by only a rubber gasket.

Winnebago knows of these issues. Unfortunately they don't show up until much later in the coach's life beyond the warranty period. No corporation will either publicly admit an issue or extend warranty for a coach which is 5/10/or 12 years old, in your case. It's unreasonable to expect any manufacturer to warrant their product beyond a reasonable period of time. I think the longest warranty in the RV industry is 3 years on a Newell coach at $1.5M.

The design was changed when the single piece windshield was implemented, and hopefully fixed these issues. Still one of the strongest frame systems in the industry.

For my coach I expect to maintain its idiosyncrasies and keep up with, for example the rust issues. Do I wish it was better, YES, but I'm keeping my 10 year old coach for a long time to come.

Read the other forums. Each brand has its own issues. I'll keep my Winnebago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT3 View Post
New to the RV world. Just purchased a 07 Journey 36G and love it but it has developed a intermittent problme when I hit a hard bump in the road......lose all dash electronics...rdo, speedo, tac, headlights, dash lights, cruse control etc. Its only momentary but unsettling. I had the freightliner dealer look at it and after 3 hours of trouble shooting came up dry. on the way home it did it about a dozen times. I need to do the troubleshooting myself. I contacted the freightliner HQ in SC and they told me to find the ground by the steering column connectors to axle and another near the generator. I will do that this weekend. Any suggestions from you more experienced owners. I lke my winne and want to get this fixed as we are going a trip to PA in April and would like to enjoy it rather than worry the whole way that it will fail permanently. Any help appreciated.
You need to start a new post in the Freightliner forum for best response.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

Sorry to read about the problems a few on this thread have had. I am on my third Winnebago Motor Home and I have had very few problems. I am a Happy Camper and would not be afraid to purchase another Winnebago again.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT3 View Post
New to the RV world. Just purchased a 07 Journey 36G and love it but it has developed a intermittent problme when I hit a hard bump in the road......lose all dash electronics...rdo, speedo, tac, headlights, dash lights, cruse control etc. Its only momentary but unsettling. I had the freightliner dealer look at it and after 3 hours of trouble shooting came up dry. on the way home it did it about a dozen times. I need to do the troubleshooting myself. I contacted the freightliner HQ in SC and they told me to find the ground by the steering column connectors to axle and another near the generator. I will do that this weekend. Any suggestions from you more experienced owners. I lke my winne and want to get this fixed as we are going a trip to PA in April and would like to enjoy it rather than worry the whole way that it will fail permanently. Any help appreciated.
Check the wiring harness connected to the LBCU. If you push on it and hear a click it has locked in and was loose. My unit came out of a shop after repair and the instrument panel was going berserk. I returned back to the shop and the technician reached up under the dash and re-seated the connector. All was well. Just in case that has happened to your rig.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Winnebago knows of these issues. Unfortunately they don't show up until much later in the coach's life beyond the warranty period. No corporation will either publicly admit an issue or extend warranty for a coach which is 5/10/or 12 years old, in your case. It's unreasonable to expect any manufacturer to warrant their product beyond a reasonable period of time.
Except when my windshield frame failed for the very first time, it was no where near 10 or 12 years old. Just as frustrating was the fact that Winnebago customer service, over more than one phone call, denied any knowledge of the problem and told me it must be unique to my motorhome and location. Even told me that it was likely due to 'poor maintenance'. Except when I asked him what kind of maintenance was required on windshields, the phone went dead. He hung up on me. (My father-in-laws 2006 model-year motorhome had just done had the exact same problem.)

It's one thing for a manufacturer to have a design problem, it's another to ignore that problem for more than 14 model-years out and out lie about it. I never asked Winnebago to pay 100% of the costs, and thought 50% would have been fair. The last service rep I dealt with 'closed' my case by telling me that my file had been noted with 'not a dime to this customer for this non-existent issue'. Except there a plenty of documented cases in all the RV forums of the design flaw and repercussions from it... -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 02:40 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

For the record, my 2008 had the rust problem and was repaired under warranty. When I say it was repaired, it doesn't leak. I have rust flakes falling down on the inside but most of them are picked up by the MagnaShade magnets on the windshield.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #48
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to ed rzepka
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackspot1 View Post
So glad I am out of the Winnebago product line. Way to many items to fix and once the 1 year warranty is over, it was a fight to get things done. Over 100 items that had to be service or fixed. Many more done personally. No wonder they never get rated first in the customer service blogs or ratings. NEVER will I or one of my family members purchase another "Winnebago NO Go" again.
Good riddance.

Good luck to you that still have one, I am hopeful you do not go through what we went thru. I know all products have their issues but when the manufacture chooses not to back a problem coach then they deserve to lose a customer for life. I will buy another RV but just no the Winnebago line.

Happy Rving.
When I read you prost particularly the 100 plus issues part, I thought I had met you this past summer while travelling. I checked your profile and it was not you. They had another Winnie model. His situation was really pretty awful and WB did not feel repair of many of the issues was their responsibility. Sad you to see you are not the only one with this many issues.

Are you going to buy again? If so, what?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #49
Winnebago Owner

My big issue is the lack of OCCC in my 15 View G. At 960 lbs, it not correct for the size of the Class C on a Sprinter Chassis. The Class B and smaller C have 1374 lbs. I think WGO should stop selling the G. My View has 4 seating positions. I can see a family of 4 overloading this.
4 people could be 600 lbs. 300 water, 200 food and clothes. 300 in stuff. You now have a dangerous View.
My Wife's 2010 NewBeatle 830 lbs. Most small cars have more than my View.

KH 2015 View G
Old 03-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Buy a Tiffin.. you will be in Red Bay EVERY year waiting online. But the good thing is they honor their warranty, at least for the first 4 years. I bought a Winnie because I got tired of spending every winter in Red bay. There is a reason Tiffin offers a liberal repair policy, its because their products are no better then anyone else.
Jwgirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:23 AM   #51
Winnebago Master

I have seen everything from pop-ups to Prevost in repair shops.

DW loves the Prevost but it is way out of our pocket book. I asked here once if she knew the difference between a Winni and a Prevost. I had to tell her it was the repair bill.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #52
Winnebago Camper

I have wondered if some of the Tiffin owners waiting in line at Red Bay aren't using their facility for an RV CG for part of the winter.
Sure wouldn't want to do that at Forest City in the winter.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #53
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NITEHAWK View Post
I have wondered if some of the Tiffin owners waiting in line at Red Bay aren't using their facility for an RV CG for part of the winter.
Sure wouldn't want to do that at Forest City in the winter.
If you did you'd be a glutton for punishment my friend. They just had one heck of a snow storm.

Regards,
W.D.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #54
Winnebago Owner

Headed there April 5th from Florida. Totally booked in April. Hoping for better weather
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 10:46 PM   #55
Winnebago Owner

It won't be t-shirts and shorts in early April. But snow should be gone typically.

2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511, Good Sam, Passport America.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #56
Winnebago Master

Know that little bracket well, it was a lousy design and the rust on that frame was amazing (pix on request). THAT IS Winnes fault.

Back to the original OP and his "hundreds of problems" There was not a make, model, or year listed. Strike#1. Not having that critical information negates 100% the credibility of that claim since we have no idea of the defective parts/ areas are Winnebago or simply a 3rd party responsibility. Everyone here knows of the Norcold issues. Just because it's installed in a Winnebago doesn't make their fault. Are there wall paper wrinkles (the only thing he specified), that's true, but it's out of warranty, so fix it. Of all the complaints one could come up with, if this is at the top.... yikes! I'd love to see the minshua

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 07:29 AM   #57
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Know that little bracket well, it was a lousy design and the rust on that frame was amazing (pix on request). THAT IS Winnes fault.

Back to the original OP and his "hundreds of problems" There was not a make, model, or year listed. Strike#1. Not having that critical information negates 100% the credibility of that claim since we have no idea of the defective parts/ areas are Winnebago or simply a 3rd party responsibility. Everyone here knows of the Norcold issues. Just because it's installed in a Winnebago doesn't make their fault. Are there wall paper wrinkles (the only thing he specified), that's true, but it's out of warranty, so fix it. Of all the complaints one could come up with, if this is at the top.... yikes! I'd love to see the minshua
Notice the OP hasn't been back to respond to queries. That should tell you something.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:29 PM   #58
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandV View Post
Notice the OP hasn't been back to respond to queries. That should tell you something.
Looking through the OP's profile he has 41 posts to date. The motorhome he is referring to is a 2012 Meridian 34Y. It was apparently purchased new as a leftover from the previous model year in 2013. If I read his posts correctly it was bought sight unseen and was not ready for delivery when he went to pick it up.

If you view all 41 of his posts you'll see there have been a number of problems. Some are with the Winnebago product itself, others are with the chassis and vendor supplied accessories, appliances, amenities. If he is correct in his assessment the root cause of many of the problems may be the result of sitting on the dealers lot through a hurricane.

According to his own admission he hasn't had a very cordial relationship with any Winnebago representatives. Late in 2013 he reported having 27 issues he felt Winnebago should be responsible for correcting. By 2015 that number had ballooned to 80. Now in 2017 the number exceeds 100.

I'm not sure what his expectations are, but I doubt any manufacturer is going to provide warranty coverage for a coach over 5 years old.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:08 PM   #59
Winnebago Owner

Please be sure to follow up with what you get as a replacement if you find it vastly superior.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 PM   #60
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
I'm not sure what his expectations are, but I doubt any manufacturer is going to provide warranty coverage for a coach over 5 years old.
I can tell you from first hand experience that Forest River will. If you have ever attended their International Rally when you arrive you go to a building, find the rep for your particular make, fill out a repair request and during the rally your repairs are completed.

They are now limiting repairs to 3. But the age does not matter. From the rally several years ago Forest River did over 1 million in free repairs. They have over 300 techs from their different divisions doing the work throughout the week. Sun up til sundown.

Warren Buffet certainly knows how to buy GREAT P.R.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593 & WIT 170814
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago