Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

So excited, yet let down on the FUSE

Hi all. New member here. We are currently researching potential motorhomes and excited about joining the RV lifestyle! We just went to a dealer RV show to check out possible rigs. We are looking for a class C less than 25 ft that can safely tow a two door jeep wrangler (3800 to 4,000 lbs). Many of the sales people really put it on thick saying that rigs I know did not meet the specs could tow a wrangler. We talked to the general manager at the show and he was pretty honest. Told us most of the sprinter diesels would not have enough CCC and we would need to go with a ford. Loved his honesty! He than said -- oh -- I just realized -- you could go with the FUSE on the new ford transit chassis. I said -- really -- I checked and I thought the specs were too low. He said, no -- it will definitely tow a wrangler with plenty of CCC left over. So, of course, we fell in love with the FUSE layout and options. Once I got home, I checked the Winnebago site and their specs say that the FUSE only has 3,140 lb. difference in GVWR and GVWR. Please tell me I am missing something! Does the 2017 FUSE have more towing capability and Winnebago just has not updated its website? We were crushed -- we loved the FUSE -- but have to be able to tow a wrangler with enough CCC left to leave comfortably.
mina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You would only have 3140 towing capacity if you loaded the coach to max GVWR.

Since a toad has no perceived hitch weight, you are only concerned about GCWR.

The question would be, what is the empty weight of the FUSE?

If you can carry everything you need and still be under GCWR and GAWR (which shouldn't be an issue if you are flat towing) then you might be ok.

You would have to give up about 900 lbs of total CCC to tow your jeep.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mina View Post
Hi all. New member here. We are currently researching potential motorhomes and excited about joining the RV lifestyle! We just went to a dealer RV show to check out possible rigs. We are looking for a class C less than 25 ft that can safely tow a two door jeep wrangler (3800 to 4,000 lbs). Many of the sales people really put it on thick saying that rigs I know did not meet the specs could tow a wrangler. We talked to the general manager at the show and he was pretty honest. Told us most of the sprinter diesels would not have enough CCC and we would need to go with a ford. Loved his honesty! He than said -- oh -- I just realized -- you could go with the FUSE on the new ford transit chassis. I said -- really -- I checked and I thought the specs were too low. He said, no -- it will definitely tow a wrangler with plenty of CCC left over. So, of course, we fell in love with the FUSE layout and options. Once I got home, I checked the Winnebago site and their specs say that the FUSE only has 3,140 lb. difference in GVWR and GVWR. Please tell me I am missing something! Does the 2017 FUSE have more towing capability and Winnebago just has not updated its website? We were crushed -- we loved the FUSE -- but have to be able to tow a wrangler with enough CCC left to leave comfortably.
GVWR = 10360
GCWR = 13500

This ad implies that the MH weighs in about 1458 lbs less than the GVWR. That means the Fuse has 4598 lbs (13500-10360+1458) capacity for cargo and towed vehicle combined. That's likely not enough capacity for you to tow the Wrangler (around 4000 lbs?) and your other cargo too.

Here's another reference - this one lists the towing capacity at 2000 lbs.

I wouldn't trust anything said at a dealer.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the responses. That is what I thought -- we can not tow our wrangler:( Back to gas options!
Old 09-27-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

https://winnebagoind.com/products/cl...specifications
Just avoid loading the RV to max Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the listed 10,360lb...you'll need to check the OCCC for the total load allowed within the RV.

The 13,500lb Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) is the total mass that the RV's driveline can move and stop safely (toad brakes still required).

So, by loading the RV lightly (saving 860lb of OCCC) the Jeep will not put you over-weight.

For definitions:
Weighing Glossary

But, please be aware that this set-up (Fuse and Jeep toad) will not be a race car on the freeway...the western mountains will have you driving in the truck lanes at speeds like 35mph uphill.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #6
Just Trying to Help

mina-

:welcome:

The specs I see at this link indicate that GCWR - GVWR is 3,140 pounds, as you say. Neither the specs nor the brochure give the trailer hitch rating.

The real number you want to know is Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), when fully loaded. We don't have a scale handy, and I could not find the info to estimate that.

Take it for what you paid for it, but in my opinion the Fuse is too small to tow most cars. The Ford E-Series-based Class C coaches with 5,000 or more towing capacity are your better option, if you want to keep the Wrangler.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 09:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

It does look like the guy lied to you. Your GCWR is 13,500 and your GVWR is 10,360 so you can safely tow 3,140. I agree with your calculations and I really doubt that Winnie will change their specs in the brochure or had mistakenly put those ratings in current brochure.

Now, the question is, what are you going to do about it. You can return the Fuse and get all your money back, if the dealer is honest. If not, you're stuck with getting an attorney. But only if you have what the guy said in writing.

The good things are, that you are well aware of the overweight situation, and there is plenty of engine to tow 4K. Also, be sure to tow 4 down, have a good braking system installed, start slowing long before you start downhill or anticipate a stop, stay out of the mountains as much as possible, try to keep your cargo weight down as much as possible, weigh yourself fully loaded so you know your weight, keep your holding tanks empty, keep the gas tank below half, etc..

Or, you could adapt, leave the Jeep at home, and get a lighter vehicle to tow.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Would you consider the MW 25B? A lot more room. You could tow your Jeep. Lower price. 2017 with E450.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Jim! Sorry for the confusion -- we did NOT buy the fuse! We were just excited to find something we really liked that could tow the jeep and still be a diesel. We are still in research phase of the buying process. It was a good lesson to not believe anything a dealer or sales person tells you. Trust, but verify!!

TJ, Yes I think we are going to look at the MW with the ford engine, instead. The 22R should also tow the jeep with sufficient CCC. I loved the Aspect finishes and qualities -- but we do not want anything that long due to rig storage restrictions.

I should add that hubby is an insurance agent -- so the potential for being overweight is not something he is willing to even entertain given what he has seen happen on post accident claims
Old 09-27-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I will add my 2 cents and see if it helps.
1) the 2017 Fuse has a 2000 pound hitch. The 2017 1/2 Fuse has a 5000lbs hitch. Be careful what you are getting. Both are out there and there might be some overlap.

2) The calculations above a pretty much spot on. 3000-3500lbs. I think Winnebago was very conservative when they put the 2000lbs hitch on but got a large amount of feedback since not many toads come in under that. Using the hitch to 5000lbs will let some people get in trouble but will let people tow a 3000lbs toad and that opens up the choices a bunch.

I wrote this article a while ago about the Fuse and towing that I think hits everything.
The conFUSEd RVer: How much can my Fuse tow?

Don
2017 Fuse 23a
Tallahassee, Fl
http://confisedrv.com
dp226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Don, thank you. Loved the article.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mina View Post
Is is possible to acquire another toad that would be within the towing limits?
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:43 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Tom, thanks for the suggestion, but no. We are avid off roaders. So, the jeep is most important. We will just have to get a gas class c with more towing capacity.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

You can not lightly load the RV in order to tow more, that is a often cited misconception you see posted. The towing limit is the towing limit no matter what.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We just went through the same exercise. Wanted a small Class C to pull our 2 dr Wrangler with after market bumpers and winch (around 4000 lbs).
We ended up getting a MW 25B with the E450 V10. We would have preferred the 22R but liked the separate dinette and sofa on the 25B.
So far we are very happy with our set up.
Vtwin996 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse