Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Yesterday we got our first opportunity to drive in snow...not planned, for sure. We were on I-70 West in CO and we had been running in and out of a light rain. As we exited the Eisenhour tunnel, it was snowing. No problem, I said...too warm to be a concern. As we ascended Vail Pass (10,000 ft) temp dropped to 32 and snow fall was significant. Traffic had slowed to about 25 (the smart people) but a few 'zoomers' found themselves in the median or ditch. There was snow and slush accumulated on the pavement for all of the several mile steep descent. I did use the exhaust brake intermittently, ready to switch it off at any sign of slippage of the rear end. Basically, we hung with the trucks and it was fine.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 05:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yesterday we got our first opportunity to drive in snow...not planned, for sure. We were on I-70 West in CO and we had been running in and out of a light rain. As we exited the Eisenhour tunnel, it was snowing. No problem, I said...too warm to be a concern. As we ascended Vail Pass (10,000 ft) temp dropped to 32 and snow fall was significant. Traffic had slowed to about 25 (the smart people) but a few 'zoomers' found themselves in the median or ditch. There was snow and slush accumulated on the pavement for all of the several mile steep descent. I did use the exhaust brake intermittently, ready to switch it off at any sign of slippage of the rear end. Basically, we hung with the trucks and it was fine.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Take it from an old truck driver, you will not be able to turn it off fast enough. There is a reason they tell you not to use it on slippery roads.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We did a snow thing in Montana once. Not much fun. Not knowing any better, we used the exhaust brake and drove slow. We did not have any problems but, having been informed by people with more experience than ourselves, we do not use the brake on slippery roads. (nor do we drive in the sonw)

The stretch of road you were on could have been a real experience with those conditions. Am very glad all went well.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We just made a huge detour around the Canadian Rockies due to early snow on the east side of the mountains that affected Jasper/Banff; too bad because we were looking forward to the drive.

I'd rather not even drive in rain much less snow

Gary - I know what you mean about the speeding idiots in snow/ice.. we have seen plenty of them through the years! Most of them eventually end up in the ditch.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

smlranger
If you get close to Grand Junction stop by and have a cup of coffee!
We are in GJT for a couple of months before we head for AZ.
My sister in law has a commercial peach orchard here and has put in a RV site for us on her property. Hows that for a nice relative?
Old 09-18-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Clay:

Thanks for the invite but we're headed SW now and then back East toward home. Did you see the news yesterday about the passenger in a big truck killed by a huge falling rock on I-70 near Grand Junction? Tragic...
Old 09-18-2006, 04:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Most of my driving is in Rain and snow since we use our RV for skiing most of the time. I have a gaser so I don't know about the exhaust brake but I just take it easy and go slow. I have never really had any slipping experience except in parking lots. I have snow tires on my rig which help a lot. and I carry chains (I got very good at putting them on and off last year) I find when I have the chains on I'm like a tank, I can go anywhere! And when you have those chains on talk about nosie inside the RV everything is shakking and rattling.

But all I really do is go slow follow some of the trucks (Even some of the trucks drive too fast for me) and enjoy the scenery. I've driven on some roads where I've pulled over to let people by and they just pulled in behind me and waited for me to continue, I guess they like the fact I was breaking trail for them.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #9

Welcome to our home state!!!

We drive our motorhome in the snow all the time here also....no problems as we dont tow our car during the winter months...and no...we dont put chains on it either....

Just drive under control....there sure isn't anything to be afraid about!!! Vail pass is rough though....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote