Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I've noticed in the past several months that the rear slide on my 2000 35' itasca Suncruiser has opened about 2" on the bottom while setting in the driveway???? I have'nt been able to associate the opening with anything I've been screwing with!! Has anyone experienced this happening???? DEERJOHN
deerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I've noticed in the past several months that the rear slide on my 2000 35' itasca Suncruiser has opened about 2" on the bottom while setting in the driveway???? I have'nt been able to associate the opening with anything I've been screwing with!! Has anyone experienced this happening???? DEERJOHN
deerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

If your slides are hydraulically operated, it's possible the hydraulic rams have a slight leakage of fluid inside the ram past the piston allowing the weight of the slide to extend the ram slightly.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have noticed my rear slide has opened at the bottom about an inch a couple of times after having been in storage...with the coach batteries disconnected. Never happened when beside my house where I never used the disconnect. Don't know if this is the problem but I have it in storage again with the coach batteries disconnected and checking it every fews days to see it creeps out.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 03:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ours creeps out slightly also. Talked to a HWH techrep in Quartzite in Jan, he said it was more than likely a leaky controller valve and an easy fix. They will be available at the GNR and we will have them fix it then, along with re-calibrating the leveler sensor. His name is Paul Maddox, Ph 602-549-3638
Old 06-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

If your slides are not hydraulic, and are thus electric, it could be that the clutch brake is not set on the motor. Many times the motor brake is left off by the manufacturer as well as service facilities. I do not know why, but several of the service facilities I have dealt with were not even aware of the motor brake and I had to demonstartae to them what it is and how to set it.

The clutch Brake on the motor is found by locating the motor and then there should be a 3 to 4 inch long lever on the end of the motor, move this lever the oposite direction. You can check that it is engaged by pressing the slide out button, if the slide is fully extended and backs in a small amount when the button is released, the brake is not set, if it is set, it will hold it's position after the button is released.
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes just since the beginning of this year has our rear slide out also decided to move out on its own. How does it move when everything is diconnected?? It is on very level ground.
Is it just happening to the 03 models??

Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deerjohn:
I've noticed . . . that the rear slide on my 2000 35' Itasca Suncruiser has opened about 2" while setting in the driveway???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Prolly a natural penalty imposed for allowing yer rig to sit in the driveway too long! Going back to the mid+ '90s when Fleetwood first introduced their first slide-out rigs, they would randomly extend full-out, while travelling down the highway at 60 miles per hour!! The problem was finally tracked down to water being ingested into the slide-out relay, causing the slide-out to be extended at a rather inappropriate time. &lt;har!&gt;

After 40 years of RVing, nothing could be less appealing than the current slide-out fad. After careful consideration as to what we'd ever do with the extra space, we chose a non-slide rig. And after seven years and 100,000 km, we've NEVER regretted that decision.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

The Winnebago rear slide is usually hydraulic made by HWH. The slide is held in the closed position by a piston and in the open position by a piston. When there is a leakage the slide will go the way of least resistance to the side of the piston with the lower pressure. I just had my slide repaired with new seals. My bedroom slide kept creeping out until I had it fixed.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote