Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 PM   #61
Winnebago Watcher

We just purchased a pre-owned 2003 Pace Arrow that came with a Sleep number! Don't know how old it is, says 500 on the mattress.
We have had a few issues as in the above posts, like one side losing air. Seems like its holding air the last couple of nights. We are in Florida for the winter now. I guess we will find out if we like it in the next 3 months!

Stano
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 PM   #62
Winnebago Owner

Yes, you can buy a pump. I bought one 2-3 years ago and it was $3-400 if memory isn't completely gone. You'll get one wireless remote that works both sides.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #63
Winnie-Wise

Thanks FireUp...I have the same problem with my Sleep Number that you did. I have a sleep number in my house and have had no problems with it in ten years. I read somewhere on one of the RV blogs that the reason we have problems in the coaches is because Winnebago bought a large volume of mattresses and they were all the cheap models. ie: no frills. I think I will invest the $100 or so dollars and see if it helps like yours did.
Steve
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #64
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
Thanks FireUp...I have the same problem with my Sleep Number that you did. I have a sleep number in my house and have had no problems with it in ten years. I read somewhere on one of the RV blogs that the reason we have problems in the coaches is because Winnebago bought a large volume of mattresses and they were all the cheap models. ie: no frills. I think I will invest the $100 or so dollars and see if it helps like yours did.
Steve
More internet miss information - Winnebago has put Ideal Rest not Sleep Number in their Journey's back to 2010 at least
Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #65
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by rream View Post
More internet miss information - Winnebago has put Ideal Rest not Sleep Number in their Journey's back to 2010 at least
Before that they used Sleep Number. That's what they gave me.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #66
Winnebago Camper

Just found this thread today. It brought back some bad memories that I thought I had forgotten!

History (skip this part if you get bored easily)

On our way to Alaska in '02 we bought a SN queen mattress. Just the mattress and two (non digital/non wireless) controllers. Very soon we started having what we called a sloping problem. SN sent use the saw tooth foam as a solution that helped... for a while! That winter in Baja, we bought a 4"x5"x7' chunk of sturdier foam and cut to fit. That helped... for a while! Back in the US, we bought a 1" egg shell foam pad and placed two pieces inside over the air bags. That helped... for a while. Later we tried "one piece" of the egg shell. That helped...(all together now) for a while!

As you can see, I am stubborn and cheap! More on the cheap part later!

The above was about a four year time line while we were full timing. In Jan. of '06, we gave up full timing and moved into our double wide (and we even removed the wheels)

There we tried a very firm mattress, that is what I like. That lasted about a year. Too firm for her. So we ordered 3" memory foam pad as a topper. That made it too soft for me and she was complaining of back pain in the AM's. I was complaining of being too hot, as I would sink into the pad and would wrap around me. So, nothing but air would do. Now what to do.

Solution (fix the design flaw)

We ordered a generic, two chamber, queen sized mattress, near half the price (this is the cheap part mentioned earlier) of the SN, and it came with digital wired remotes. During the assembly part I noticed that the side foam "beams" were connected via a full length of sheet material like you would see beneath a couch, or, something. Header and footer were the same. There was no sloping problem.

So... I had a roll of weed stop, or what ever it is called, in the garage and got a bright idea. Why can't I do the same thing for the SN in the RV. So, a can of spray adhesive and a little time later, I had secured the sides together along with the header to footer!

Problem solved! The sides were not containing the air chambers well enough an was letting them spread out and sink in the middle. We have since place a one piece 1" memory foam pad inside the mattress, over the air bags, and it works great. No sloping, sides are firmer, and the bed feels as solid as as non air bed. I can even sit on the side of the bed without hitting the plywood shelf.

In the double wide, she sets at 55, I set at 85! I assume it's would be about the same in the RV where we adjust to our comfort level. And we both get a good night sleep!

And, if you are not too bored yet!

When the generic air mattress arrived and I had it set up, the pump failed! Rather than take it down and set the other back up and wait a few days for the replacement pump, I went to the RV, took that mattress apart and placed the air bags from the SN into the generic mattress. (The plumbing was different and could not connect the SN pump to the new air bags) Anyway, the SN air bags worked just great in the new housing, so I knew they were not the problem. It had to be the frame work that housed the air bags!

Anyway, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

H

Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #67
Winnebago Camper

Just found this posting and have the same problem with sloping to the middle of our SN bed on our 07 36 Journey. Not impressed with the bed; wife says this may have to go. The controls work as supposed to (wired) but we bump into each other during the night due to the "slope factor". After reading this entire posting, I will now have to look to see what can be done to salvage this thing short of spending copious amounts of money on a new mattress

Ron.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #68
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
Most "settling" thing we have done to Sleep Number bed is to add a 3" thick Memory Foam Topper !!!
END OF ANY TROUBLES !
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #69
Winnebago Camper

Dump your sleep number for a memory foam from CostCo or almost anywhere and life is better.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #70
Winnebago Camper

We have added an air mattress to our bed and we have separate controls, we have had it for about 10 years now and when the air get low we push a button and up it goes.
We have been merryed for over 60 years we raised 4 kids have 5 grand kids and 6 great grand kids and I still keep my mattress a little low that way my wife keeps rolling in my direction most of the time.
After reading some of your threads I think that you all must of forgot why you got merryed in the first place.
Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #71
Winnebago Watcher

Just upgraded our sleep number bed at home. Going to put the queen sleep number we have had for three years into the new RV. Will look at where to put pump as soon as I get it back from dealer (having some warranty issues looked at).
Do people mount the pump under the platform or beside the be on the floor?
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #72
Winnebago Camper

Under!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #73
Winnebago Master

ncfd410
Well Sir, in our, we have the normal built in night stands at both sides of the bed. The pump, is on the floor, inside the night stand on my side of the bed, (drivers side). The bottom drawer, is really not there, it's a falce front and is held on there with some velcro. When it's off, you can hear the pump pretty good but, with that false front on it, and, you're in bed, you barely, I mean "BARELY" hear the pump. The lines run through the sides of the night stand, right at carpet level and, over to the head of the bed where they enter the platform of the bed. Then, they're right at the head board area and enter the platform where the mattress's are.
Scott

P.S. You could not mount the pump directly under the bed, at the head of the bed area due to the fact that it's a diesel pusher and that area is needed for access to the engine and the metal panels come off.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #74
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
Dump your sleep number for a memory foam from CostCo or almost anywhere and life is better.
We have the full depth memory foam Costco mattress in the stick house. This would be way too heavy for the MH.
So I'm assuming you mean a topper?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #75
Winnebago Camper

We bought a Serta memory foam and weight ever entered my mind. Even if it is 100 lbs heavier I see no affect to a coach that weighs over 30,000 lbs. buy what is comfortable and loose some miscellaneous stuff.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #76
Winnebago Owner

Sleep number bed issues, anyone have any?

Nope, don't have one.
Closed Thread