Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboy View Post
Have the same problem hate sleepnumber . ended up buying a memory foam topper alot better
What thickness topper did you use? We hate our Sleep Number but not real sure what to replace it with, a topper would be a good alternative to a new mattress.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #22

I've got one the RV and 3 of them in the stick house. Get a dog. They sleep in the middle. I woudn't trade them on anything else. Tried the Temper-Pedic and got stuck in it and sweat to death. You have something wrong because they are all taller in the center.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Fire Up

Well your experience was the same as ours. After fixing many leaks at the connectors and at the pump we finally took it to the dump and purchased a good regular mattress. This was our second try as our previous sleep number in a previous MoHo had similar problems. Now sleeping much better and I have enough problems elsewhere and did not need to be dealing with a leaking bed.

Good luck with the leaky bed problem.

Gary
Old 05-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

I have a 3" memory foam topper on my 18 year old select comfort mattress. Bought it at Sam's Club.

If you change altitude with your RV you will have to adjust the bed. Mine gets rock hard when I go up into yhe mountains.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Hi Scott:

Let us know how you make out. My Sleepnumber bed does the same thing as others. We both sink toward the middle. But $101 smackers sounds reasonable if it works.

Regards Jim P.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=CPCooper; I finally solved the problem. I took it out and put in a nice regular queen size mattress. We now sleep like babies.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I would have done!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

We have never had these issues in a year of use. We love the bed, to this point.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #28
Winnebago Watcher

i think it was 4 inch topper , made the bed alot more tolarable
Old 05-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
We had a Sleep Number bed in the S&B long before it was called Sleep Number. It gave us years of great sleeping. The motor home came with a Sleep Number bed, but it is the cheapest one made. It was OK, but not as comfortable as the older king at home.

When we were packing up the house in preparation for fulltiming, my wife took the zippered top from the king and wrapped it around the queen in the motor home. It was like night and day. Not only is the mattress a little bigger (the topper wraps around the edges), it is also MUCH more comfortable. I was a skeptic at first, but she won me over.

The problem isn't the Sleep Number mattress. It's that Winnebago used the cheapest one they could get. Put a 2-inch king size mattress topper on a queen size bed. Works great!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

We tried an 1 1/2" mattress topper on our SN in the motor home and all it did was to make us sleep hotter. The valley down the center was still there and we both rolled into it no matter where we started on our air bladder.

As far as SN's Customer Service, it sucks. All they want to do is sell something else, which sounds like a band-aid. But I'm hoping it will help some for those who have it coming.

Wagonmaster2
Old 05-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
Hi Scott:

Let us know how you make out. My Sleepnumber bed does the same thing as others. We both sink toward the middle. But $101 smackers sounds reasonable if it works.

Regards Jim P.
Jim P. and others,
Well, we received our alternate air chambers today. I followed the instructions for setup, even though it was pretty much common sense, and installed all the new components. They sent me two new chambers and a new center foam piece. The primary difference in the new and old parts, the new chambers are zippered together in the middle with an upper and lower zipper. When the new chambers are installed and inflated to around 20, then you unzip the top zipper and install the single piece of foam. Then, re-zip the zipper and put all the rest of the stuff on the top of the bed.

Well, when it was all said and done, with both sides filled to 60 as a test, there appears to be no incline to the center of the bed. We both got on the bed and laid there for a while. NO TILTING YET! She let hers down to 45 and I kept mine at around 60. Still no tilting towards the center of the bed as the old chambers did.

So, we have a 30 day trial of this new set to see if it will continue to be of good service. We have a camp trip coming up in a week and a half so, that will be a good test. I'll keep all informed.
Scott
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

There are several quality levels for sleep number mattresses and the more expensive products work way better than the original equipment MH supplied mattress. I bought a gel foam but I would have been happy with a better sleep number.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Hi Scott -
Sounds like SN might actually have a fix after all. I pulled the top layer off our bladders today and was really shocked at such a sorry piece of foam that they have used between the two bladders. While I had it apart I used a 12" wide piece of 1 1/2" foam I had cut off a king's size topper to make it fit our SN and placed it under the center saw toothed separator foam. When all put back together the valley wasn't visible down the center but haven't laid down on it yet.

If this doesn't work like we'd like I'll have to break down and pay SN for the new bladders. Glad to hear it's working on yours so far.

Wagonmaster2
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

We have had our S/N for about a year and didn't realize that there were so many issues with the things. Ours has worked perfectly everytime we've used it and knock on wood I hope it continues to work that good from here on. It works better than our mattress at the sticks and bricks. Makes the full timing notion look better all the time. I'll keep reading this thread to learn how to fix ours if ours goes week and meek in the middle.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

For what it's worth ... Our new motor home came with the Sleep Number queen bed as an (expensive) option. It was on the coach we elected to buy so we got it as one of the coach options. We were excited about it when the coach was delivered, but right from the beginning we just could not get a good night's sleep any which way we tried. The dealer tried adjusting the bed for us and still it made no difference. After several fitful nights when sleep was elusive for both of us, we were very disappointed with the bed.

We looked at several alternatives and settled on a new Tempurpedic product released about a month or so ago -- the Simplicity. It is fully Tempurpedic but not as high (tall) as their other mattresses -- and the least expensive of all of their mattress products. We also got two Tempurpedic pillows too (one of which came free). Plus, Tempurpedic was running a no interest deal for 48 months with free shipping (and free set up if you needed it -- though we did it all ourselves).

The Simplicity comes in three comfort levels -- soft, medium and firm. We tried all three and decided on medium. It was the right choice. Fabulous bed. It fits exactly where the Sleep Number bed was in the coach and the change out was silly easy. Zero weight issues and no problems whatsoever with putting sheets on the mattress at any of the corners.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Davebills,
As has been stated in this and other threads about S/N beds, some like'm and some don't. Some have issues with proper fit, leaning towards one direction (middle) or the other and, some have a hard time keeping air in them. Well, this is our first S/N bed and we're still trying to get accustomed to it. We have to get it to the point where we have no propensity to lean or roll to the middle first.

Then, when that's accomplished we'll figure out just where the best setting for each of us. Once all that's done and we feel there's no other issues or problems, it will be then that we'll be able to make a true evaluation.

If you've been following this thread, you'll know we just received a new set of air chambers from S/N and they have a zipper (actually two) for keeping the two chambers together with a foam spacer. We'll be heading out camping in about a week so, that will be the prime test for the new bed. We'll let all who care, know how it went when we return from that trip.
Scott
Old 05-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

We are on our second MH with a king sleep # and loved both. No issues at all.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #38
Winnebago Watcher

I always find these Sleep Number Bed threads to be interesting and as always...to each their own! We've had a King Select Comfort(Sleep Number) in the house for 20+ years with not a single mattress/pump/air chamber issue of any kind.....pure luck? Maybe but Im No lite-weight on the bed surface and its held up year after year. We put a queen dual chamber in the MH over 10 years ago....I will admitt, I experienced the "Tilt" issue but mine was to the outer edges of the bed. A quick call to customer service and a "fix" was on the way. I had an issue with one air chamber losing air after 9 years and myself forgetting to release some air at 10,000 plus feet elevation....90 bucks and a new chamber was on its way. We did put a 4" memory foam topper in the MH which makes an excellent product even better.......No more tilt!

Obviously I cant speak for anyone but myself......but to be able to adjust the firmness of ANY mattress is a PLUS in my book....some may convince themselves that they just LOVE the same firmness as their partners, wives, significant others but generally I find that isnt quite the case..IMHO, so once again, to each their own!!
Old 05-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Davebills,
As has been stated in this and other threads about S/N beds, some like'm and some don't. Some have issues with proper fit, leaning towards one direction (middle) or the other and, some have a hard time keeping air in them. Well, this is our first S/N bed and we're still trying to get accustomed to it. We have to get it to the point where we have no propensity to lean or roll to the middle first.

Then, when that's accomplished we'll figure out just where the best setting for each of us. Once all that's done and we feel there's no other issues or problems, it will be then that we'll be able to make a true evaluation.

If you've been following this thread, you'll know we just received a new set of air chambers from S/N and they have a zipper (actually two) for keeping the two chambers together with a foam spacer. We'll be heading out camping in about a week so, that will be the prime test for the new bed. We'll let all who care, know how it went when we return from that trip.
Scott
Scott-

Did S/N send a new foam divider for the new bladders? Or do you have to use the same ole saw-tooth flimsy piece that was with the original? For the likes of me, I can't see how anyone could keep from rolling to the center if they all have the same thin narrow piece of foam that is in mine.

Wagonmaster2
Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Hi Scott:

Do you have the nember for the SN bed handy? I believe you said it was $101 for the new air chambers.

If it worked for you I would go for it.

PAM..Jim P.
Closed Thread