Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2016, 09:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Sleep Number Bed

I have my new to me 2005 Vectra 40AD which has a sleep number bed. The two remotes have no display and I do not believe the thing is working. Should I just chalk it up and look for new because of the age or is there remedies for this situation. I have never had a mattress of this sort and don't know whether I will like it or not, but can't make an opinion because I'm not sure if it will work. Thanks in advance.
wstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Do you have AC power, Plugged in, Gen running, or inverter on? Push and hold the button and see if the pump runs. Give Sleep Number a call, I here they have good CS, never needed it.

Do the receptacles in the bedroom work? Check under the bed to see if the pump is plugged in, and there is power at the receptacle.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

We've got a Sleep Number bed in our coach - and a Tempurpedic mattress at home. We're equally happy on either of them. The cheaper "conventional" mattresses that come with many RVs ... not so much.

I'd spend the time and energy to at thoroughly troubleshoot whatever problems it has before deciding to simply dump it without knowing what the problem is. Unless you discover that it needs a complete replacement - you've got the makings of an excellent bed in your coach already that would be worth a little time and $$$ to make right.
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Does the mattress fill up with air or deflate? If so see one example of fixing control LCD display maybe this is your problem?? See link:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...4&action=click
Old 12-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have a sleep number mattress in our 2004 Journey.

The remotes have a small window in them ... nothing shows in the display until the UP or DOWN arrow are pushed.

The pump is located in the back of the night stand on the aft side of the bed ... I have never serviced it ... I just hear it run when we adjust the inflation of our bed.

We like the Sleep Number bed so well that we purchased one for our stick and brick.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We have extensive experience with Sleep Number beds in both RVs and homes. Their customer service is good at trouble shooting; however, they will not provide parts. Their solution will be to replace the entire pump for $$$. If your pump is bad, I suggest that you go on eBay and look for a replacement. We bought one from a reputable seller that cost less than 50% of what Sleep Number wanted.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The troubles I've read about from RV'ers with the Sleep Number (SN) products are sooo numerous, I'd never buy one, nor would I bother to fix one if I bought a RV with a dead one. There are product forums all over the internet and SN came out with a 50% disapproval rate 3 years ago when I researched them. It wasn't so much the product itself, it was the terrible after sale product support where they consistently failed the consumer. They may be better now...

Here's an eval: Unbiased Info...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I had a sleep number for 15 years no issues, love it I sleep real good every night.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Similar situation last year in my new to me 2005 coach. The prev owner bought the SN mattress in 2008. The remote worked, but there was no display. I called SN Cust service and was offered a screaming deal on a replacement pump and remote. I think I spent $100 and upgraded to the better wireless system. I bought refurbished as it was $20 or so cheaper and carried the identical warranty. They made the offer as the mattress was still in warranty. I did tell him I was the 2nd owner and it didn't make any difference. I'm very happy with Sleep Number and their customer service!
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We had a similar issue on our second trip (the first trip was fine). When I returned home, and brought it to the dealer, the Tech (Brian) said, "Oh, just unzip the bottom of the mattress cover, those wires come lose sometimes", he showed us, and it's fine. We thought that something like that might have been included in the trouble-shooting guide, but we found nothing. Good luck!
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstalker View Post
I have my new to me 2005 Vectra 40AD which has a sleep number bed. The two remotes have no display and I do not believe the thing is working. Should I just chalk it up and look for new because of the age or is there remedies for this situation. I have never had a mattress of this sort and don't know whether I will like it or not, but can't make an opinion because I'm not sure if it will work. Thanks in advance.
Getting to the pump is a challenge. Once there, determine if you have power at the outlet. These outlets do go bad from time to time. If that is a fix than you are golden. If it is the pump (try with an extension cord while you have access) I suggest that you look into a new type of mattress. I am going to be replacing mine some time this year with the relatively new brand Purple. It is on the temperpidic idea but not really. Look it up on the web. My daughter and son-in-law have one and absolutely love it.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 01-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
Does the mattress fill up with air or deflate? If so see one example of fixing control LCD display maybe this is your problem?? See link:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...4&action=click
Thank you KF5UMC. My display hasn't worked in many years. Using the method here I now have numbers . Easy process which didn't take very long.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Another tip: Instructions say to 'calibrate' the control, lie on the bed and run the pump up to 100 psi, then set your control to your 'Sleep Number' and the mattress will deflate to that set pressure. I did it every way but that when we bought our MH and I couldn't figure out why the pressure indicated on the control would wind up all over the place. I Read the instructions and, voila!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

No reply from the OP (Original Poster) I guess he got it working
Old 01-09-2017, 06:21 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I did not get it working. Unfortunately more pressing issues are going on that affe ct the coach in a more damaging way. Bed on the back burner for a bit. This forum has helped me immensely with many issues so far. Grateful
Old 01-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the update, good luck.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I called sleep number and they sent me a new pump and (1) remote. I will be putting them in today. I also noticed several pumps and remotes online from different vendors that look as if they would work with this system. Anyways they were very helpful. Asked if I was the original owner, and I replied that I was not and then they asked if the bed came with the coach, which it did. Charged me $88.00 including shipping. Unit is larger than original. I will post again after install. Thanks again for all the info provided by others
Old 11-28-2017, 09:57 PM   #18
Itasca owner

Sleep number display

I had the same faded number issue on my SN bed (that I got free from a friend). The fix is posted on youtube, just look for it. I opened up the two remotes and heated them with a hair dryer. The display came back and has worked now for 6 months. If you got a new one for under $100 you did well. I was quoted 400 for a new pump and remote setup. FWIW, I had one in a previous motorhome and sold it. Got tired of changing the settings every time the altitude changed but it did make lifting the bed a lot easier with less weight than a mattress.
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

Did you check the batteries in the remote unit. Also did you try to get operating instructions from Sleep Number or maybe they are in the Winnebago briefcase.

The side buttons equal left and right bladders. When you push one of them 3 dashes show up and then the number it is set at. Then press up or down arrows to increase or decrease.

We love ours and it works great. Just make sure after you get it working that when you go into high altitudes that you let air out as it might blow up too high.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:36 PM   #20
Itasca owner

Here's the Youtube fix for the faded numbers. It worked fine on mine and costs zero

jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote