Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-18-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

On our recent trip from Wis to Hemet,CA for the Workhorse Rally, our Sleep comfort bed gave up the ghost. The dual bed looked like a dual hammock. I was at Mesa near Camping World and thought a trip to their store would result in repair parts or at least a new pump. I was wrong. I was informed that repair parts had to come direct from Sleep Comfort. I called them and was told that if I would give them the numbers from the bottom of the pump they would ship me a new pump as they do not repair failed ones. They advised me that because I was not the original owner their was no warranty and they would charge my credit card for a little more than $400.00 for their replacement for the pump. My wife was not a "happy camper" making up the hide-a-bed every night.

Well the pump arrived and instead of dual controls it had a single control with a left and right button on it. NOW THE BIG DECISION!! Which side of the bed do we put the control on? It has been a big "bone of contention" every night as to who is going to get the control. We should have better objectives than figuring out who gets the control.

I called Sleep Comfort today and complained about their engineering and why they replace a dual Sleep Comfort bed pump with a single control. After some silence on their part I was advised that a pump was available for an additional $59.00 however my recent purchase was final and I would need to fork over approx another $500.00 for the pump with the separate controls as the one I received was not returnable. I asked why I was not given the option when I ordered my replacement and was told they just ship the unit I got unless they are told different. @###$$$

I believe Winnebago should re-evaluate their relationship with Sleep Comfort or at least give them an Attitude Adjustment.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

The single most highly overrated air mattress ever produced.

Consumer Affairs
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Mount the control in the middle above your heads. How often do you change the settings?

We have purchased 2 motorhomes with the sleep # beds included and immediately sold one and gave the other away.

We are conviced that the temperpedic swedish foam bed is the best for us.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I believe Winnebago should re-evaluate their relationship with Sleep Comfort or at least give them an Attitude Adjustment.
<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Unbelievable !! Talk about lousy customer service. I guess they aren't interested in repeat business ?? I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

We bought a foam topper for our bed and it seems to be working ok. I liked the sleep numbers, but they didn't make one in the size we needed.</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'll also vote for Tempurpedic. However, if you don't use the rig full time and are hesitant to spend the $1,200 + for a Tempur queen, you may want to consider a memory foam mattress from Knox Foam in Knoxville, TN. Knox will cut the mattress to the exact size of your bed platform and for about half of the cost of the Tempurpedic, it is a nice mattress. We have a Tempurpedic at home and the Knox in the motorhome and have no complaints.

It does sound like the folks at Select Comfort have their heads in a place where the sun rarely shines.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by DonavonP:
The single most highly overrated air mattress ever produced.
While I have not had to call for warranty/repair, we have owned one for 2 years and have been very happy with the Select Comfort.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Going on six years here, had to replace one mattress bladder about 2 weeks after we bought it due to slow leak in the connection, replaced by customer service with no cost or trouble to us. We really have enjoy it. (Queen size w/pillow top, dual wired controls)

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

PETRO Time for a personal call to the Manager of Customer Service. Dealing with phone reps is a waste of good time and money.
The stores located in Malls only sell new products. Parts must come from the manufacturer. The store sales force do not know anything about the older products and will give you a phone number to call.
I have had a Sleep Number bed for 7 years and no problems, BUT the weird size Queen in the M/H is very comfortable and I see no need to install a Sleep Number. For the amount of time you really use it the cost is out of sight
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We've at a sleep number bed at home for 2 years and love it - one control (wireless) and we set it at night and forget it.

In your situation though I might want to consider calling my credit card and putting the charge into dispute with them - that may bring them back to the table and more willing to work with you. I'd also call Winnebago and share with them your experience, they may have some leverage.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Don,

Were you even talking to someone who ever saw a SleepNumber bed or a MotorHome or even was located on this continent? With outsourcing of customer service call centers to offshore venders the chances are that you could have been talking to someone who only has the luxury of indoor plumbing at work and no way to fully relate to what you are dealing with asside from what some script from a teleprompter is telling them based on key words that are being typed in from your conversation.

Call again and ask to speak to a supervisor.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
While we have had no technical problems with our Sleep Number bed we really don't like them. The coach came with so no choice. Thought about replacing it with a memory foam matteress but weight was an issue because in my floorplan the bed is lifts up on gas springs to access storage and the engine compartment. Opted to put a 3" memory foam pad on top and that made it tolerable.

I intend on the next coach (2010?) to be a factory order and I will delete any fancy matrress they offer and put in my own memory foam mattress assuming weight is not an issue.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I agree with all the posts in that article! From day one I have not liked ours. I love being on our MH...but I dread the nights and mornings! It takes my back about 2 hours to stop aching when we get up and I am NOT well rested! If I don't put enough air in my side, I'm lower than DH and roll toward him. If I put just a bit more air, my side crowns and I feel like I will either roll toward DH or roll out of bed if I don't brace myself. Hence the backaches every morning. I can never really relax! DH loves the bed...I hate it! I'm praying for the day it breaks down and he lets me get a 'no moving parts' mattress!
Jeanne M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

If you are new to the Sleep # system I can highly recomend you visit a store and have one of the associates go through the mapping system and help you find your ideal sleep number. You can play with it and think you know what is comfortable but you maybe off too. For us we awake with no back pain and its made a huge difference. Of course nothing is prefect for everyone, but getting your sleep number may be a big help

Oh and if anyone has a King size for their RV and you don't want it I'd trade ya
Old 04-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by vicsryd:
While we have had no technical problems with our Sleep Number bed we really don't like them. The coach came with so no choice. Thought about replacing it with a memory foam matteress but weight was an issue because in my floorplan the bed is lifts up on gas springs to access storage and the engine compartment. Opted to put a 3" memory foam pad on top and that made it tolerable.

I intend on the next coach (2010?) to be a factory order and I will delete any fancy matrress they offer and put in my own memory foam mattress assuming weight is not an issue.
The gas struts that lift the bed can be replaced with higher pressure struts so lifting the bed will not be an issue. Unless you are speaking of an overall weight issue such as coach gvwr.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Y-Guy:
If you are new to the Sleep # system I can highly recomend you visit a store and have one of the associates go through the mapping system and help you find your ideal sleep number. You can play with it and think you know what is comfortable but you maybe off too. For us we awake with no back pain and its made a huge difference. Of course nothing is prefect for everyone, but getting your sleep number may be a big help

Oh and if anyone has a King size for their RV and you don't want it I'd trade ya
Can you explain what the mapping system is?

Thanks
Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Sorry Jim I should have done that at first. Basically they map the pressure points as you lay on the bed, they adjust the bed until those pressure points are minimized the most. The display they have shows the points so you can see colors change as the bed is adjusted, then you can tweak it a bit. I was a 35 on the system, but I find that most nights 40 is good, if I've had a real rough time I'll drop down to 35 though.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Petro-
Sounds like you are going thru what I am with Winegard. After 3 yrs I decided to subscribe to Directv and use my roof satellite antenna but when I checked the elevation indicator on the ceiling did not work at all. I called Winegard expecting a little help but all they said was something was wrong and I could order a new system which consists of the sensor on the roof at the antenna, wiring, and ceiling indicator for $135. The ceiling indicator comes down with 2 screws and 2 wires unplug so I thought they would at least offer to test it if I would mail it to them, which I certainly would have. All they said was "take it to a dealer" and started reading off a list of dealers within a 100 miles of my location even tho they admitted some of the dealers may only be sales and not trained in repairs. So much for Winegard.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:46 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

We have a sleep number bed and it's great for one but so uncomfortable for 2 and 2 shelties.

After a few suggestions from friends we purchased a Serta Memory Foan topper at Sam's for the bed. Now we discovered the sleep number is great and we all fit. No droop in the middle, or hard edges.

FYI: my experience - don't let you grandson jump on the sleep number bed, it deflates like a balloon popping.

RoamingHorizons
RoamingHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Wow you were lucky if you got someone who spoke English. After 3 tries with our useless Sleepnumber we got rid of it and went with a good pillow top. I agree Winnebago needs to re-evalueate Sleepnumber along with the Weather Pro awning and the Demensions inverter.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:00 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
Quote:
The gas struts that lift the bed can be replaced with higher pressure struts so lifting the bed will not be an issue. Unless you are speaking of an overall weight issue such as coach gvwr.
Good point on replacing the struts. However, I'm not so sure the well the wood platform would withstand the extra weight/stress without some extra re-inforcement.

Rear GAWR is a concern as it's only 17500 and we already get close to that when we load up for a long trip.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote