Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Shake Down Near Winnebago Plant in April

We pick up our brand spanking new View Profile 24g on 4/4/13 at Lichtsinn Motors which is about 1 mile from the factory. Our plan is to fly in from California and do the customary walk through. Then on Friday tour the plant. I would like to find a place to stay with full hook ups with-in 100 miles of the plant to do the Shake Down. Should we find anything major that needs to be repaired we can return and have it taken care of.

After that we are going to head east and visit family in Pennsylvania, then if need be head back to the factory.

I know there will be things that have to be repaired/replaced and this will be the perfect time to take care it while we are out in the East. Then when all is said and done we will return to California...

Thanks for your help LeeB......
Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

You can stay at the Visitor Center for free for 3 days if a WIT member. You should get a free membership with a new purchase. Service center has free parking if you have warranty issues. Pammel Park is also in Forest City. Enjoy your stay and why not come back in July for the GNR. You are part of the family now.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks I'll keep in mind.....

July is a busy month on the west coast but thanks for the invite...
Old 02-18-2013, 10:08 PM   #4

Yes Pammel park has full hook ups and its 5 minutes from the factory. Also, as suggested come on back in July for GNR. Its a whole lot of FUN!
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks I will check it out.... Although I was thinking about maybe a place 50 miles away or so.. Just so I can drive it a little.....

But I have a feeling Mama is going to want to go to the Mall of America because we are so close....... Never been there
Old 02-19-2013, 07:42 AM   #6

I took my 12 year old granddaughter there last year. It was a pre rally trip offered by Winnebago. It is quite an experience thats for sure. Don't get lost in there!
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda1908 View Post
I took my 12 year old granddaughter there last year. It was a pre rally trip offered by Winnebago. It is quite an experience thats for sure. Don't get lost in there!
I'll take the GPS I hope there is a place to park the MH...
Old 02-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Lee,
There is a nice little city about 15-20 miles from the factory called Clear Lake. There are tow CG's there and one is a state park. We did not stay at the state park but we did stay at Oakwood RV Park. There is a quaint little church on the grounds. Clear Lake is a nice little city with flower pots hanging from posts along the streets. For just spending a few day to check out the system, it should do fine.

As for MOA, we stayed at Lebanon Hills RV Park in Apple Valley, MN. It is about 20 miles from the MOA. It is a nice park and an easy drive to the mall.

Happy trails.

p.s., we also used Pammel City Park, and the Winnebago parking lot. Pammel has water and electric (30 amp only, I believe) and Winnebago only has electric. For the Winnebago lot, the upper lot has the better spaces. If you can get the one on the little hill between the trees, well it was the best for us. We were in different spaces for the 10 days we were there.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
You can stay at the Visitor Center for free for 3 days if a WIT member. You should get a free membership with a new purchase. Service center has free parking if you have warranty issues. Pammel Park is also in Forest City. Enjoy your stay and why not come back in July for the GNR. You are part of the family now.
I believe the membership is purchased for new owners by the dealer. Not all dealers offer this as a perk. Be sure to ask Lichstinn about it when you pick up your new motorhome.

You might also want to call ahead to the campgrounds. Many of them don't turn on the water (at the campsites and the dump stations) until around Memorial Day. The website for Pammel Park says it's "currently not available".
Old 02-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks.............
Old 02-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Come on up and see Minneapolis

Lebanon Hills Regional Park Campground in Apple Valley is across from our state Zoo and close to the Mall of America. Just 123 miles from Forest City

Reservations suggested
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Don't miss the Spam Museum.

http://www.spam.com/spam-101/the-spam-museum
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

It is a little farther but why not head on down to Davenport or Winterset and see the Bridges of Madison County and John Waynes boyhood home. You need to put a few turns and bumps on the new rig to get some of the bugs loose. As for the left coast look into a local chapter of WIT, new members are always welcome.Yes and do consider GNR.

Don G. WIT 70041
Santa Clara, CA
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

X2 on the Spam Museum and it makes no difference if you like the stuff or not. Make sure to get a Spam Museum decal as it will get a lot of smiles from your friends. No free tastes which did not bother me one bit but it is a piece of America.
chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Oh goodness you all have giving me some wonderful ideas........

Thanks so much LeeB
Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

We have been to Lebanon Hills a couple of times. Nice place if they are open in April.

The plant is a great place to get things done. Stopping after a quick shakedown and then on the way back sounds ideal.

Are you new to RVing? Test every system you can, once the year is up most problems are on your dime.
Yorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

As another suggested, if you want to go a bit further take a look at the Amana Colonies RV park which is also the IRV2 get together this year.

The Amana Colonies RV Park & Event Center

We visited the Amana Colonies while staying at Lake McBride State Park. Nice park with several walking paths, boat rental and lots of trees. It has a few spots that are a bit tight for our 39' but your new MH should fit in VERY nicely!

Iowa Department of Natural Resources > Destinations > State Parks & Rec Areas > Iowa's State Parks > ParkDetails
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Pipestone, MN is not far from Forest City and both the town and park are fascinating.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Drive by the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake. My husband's company Christmas party was there and it was like WOW!
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

There is a very nice municipal campground in Mason City, about 45 minutes southest of Winnebago. $25 per night for full hook-ups. Right on the Winnebago River, within a large city park. It's called MacNider Campground. Here's a link.

MacNider Campgrounds - Mason City, IA
WantaWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago