Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Well, we just returned from a 2 week shake down cruise in the new Itasca Meridian 32T DP/MH. We spent most of the time in Arizona, from the southeast corner (Sierra Vista), all the way up the Grand Canyon. I had the pencil and paper ready to make the list of "fix-its" for the dealer when I got back. We dry camped often, and used all the systems extensively. At Roosevelt lake we dry camped for three days where the tempature was 100+ everyday.

Then up around Flagstaff and the Canyon the temps dropped into the 30's at night. We dry camped at the Grand Canyon as well.

When we returned home, the paper was empty! I was so surprised, as we have owned a new TT, and after that a new 5ver, and all had various problems from the onset. Even the 5ver being "higher end" had lots of issues.

One minor problem with the generator hour meter on the monitor panel was not working. I pulled out the screws and jiggled the wires and put it back in, and it came on. So far I am really impressed with the quality of the unit.

I have read some posts where owners have blasted the manufactuer for quality control. I know that sometimes there will be problems with a coach, and that is inevitable with humans building them. I have owned three Dodges with Cummins Diesels, and have spent a lot of time on the TDR web site. Mostly they are a quality truck, but some are bound to have problems. The key is how the Manufacturer handles the fix, and the customer service. Most of the posts I have read on here and RV.net have been positive when talking about Winnebago.

So far I have been very happy with the purchase, and the knowledge and support base in this forum is terrific. Keep up the good work folks!!

Marty

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 05:48 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well, we just returned from a 2 week shake down cruise in the new Itasca Meridian 32T DP/MH. We spent most of the time in Arizona, from the southeast corner (Sierra Vista), all the way up the Grand Canyon. I had the pencil and paper ready to make the list of "fix-its" for the dealer when I got back. We dry camped often, and used all the systems extensively. At Roosevelt lake we dry camped for three days where the tempature was 100+ everyday.

Then up around Flagstaff and the Canyon the temps dropped into the 30's at night. We dry camped at the Grand Canyon as well.

When we returned home, the paper was empty! I was so surprised, as we have owned a new TT, and after that a new 5ver, and all had various problems from the onset. Even the 5ver being "higher end" had lots of issues.

One minor problem with the generator hour meter on the monitor panel was not working. I pulled out the screws and jiggled the wires and put it back in, and it came on. So far I am really impressed with the quality of the unit.

I have read some posts where owners have blasted the manufactuer for quality control. I know that sometimes there will be problems with a coach, and that is inevitable with humans building them. I have owned three Dodges with Cummins Diesels, and have spent a lot of time on the TDR web site. Mostly they are a quality truck, but some are bound to have problems. The key is how the Manufacturer handles the fix, and the customer service. Most of the posts I have read on here and RV.net have been positive when talking about Winnebago.

So far I have been very happy with the purchase, and the knowledge and support base in this forum is terrific. Keep up the good work folks!!

Marty

Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

That's great news, Marty.
It sounds like you put it thru its paces. It's nice to hear when everything works out.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

It is great to see a positive review of your initial experience with you new rig. Not only does Winnebago build a good rig, you obviously also had a dealer that properly prepped it for you before pick up.

Congrats on the new rig, let the good times roll on, and on, and on.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You know, come to think of it, there is one thing I would change if I could. It would be nice if the gray tank was a little bigger. The 5ver I traded in had 2 40 gal gray tanks, one for the galley and one for the bath.

I saw a post on another forum somewhere that a guy installed a pump on his gray tank to pump some into his black tank to create more room when dry camping. Anyone ever heard of this being done??

Old 06-15-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Hi,

We are taking a 3 week cruse in a few weeks in a national park. It will require living off the systems for two weeks. How did you handle the electrical demands? When it was cold at night and you ran the heat did you have enough battery power to get run the furance fan all night? How long did you run the generator the next day to get your battery charge back up? Did you run the generator at the end of the day to get a full charge for the evening? Did you put the refrig. on propane run only? Did you use the TV much, when the generator was not running? My questions are because this is what I'm planning but I'm not sure if it will work. Thanks in advance for the input.

ccj1
ccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Marty,

Glad that you expressed your satisfaction with your new coach.

It has been my experience that the good times outnumber the bad by many fold. And when the bad times are upon, just remember the good and deal with the rest...

As you so well state in your tag line, Enjoy yourself and "between now and then"
Old 06-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I absolutely agree Steve.

Hi ccj1, welcome to the forum. When we know we are going to be dry camping for a while we normally conserve a little more than usual. For instance, we were in the Grand Canyon for 4 days. The days were warm, but the nights got into the high 30's. I set the heater pretty low, and we just add a few more blankets.

You didn't say what type or how old your rig is, so I will have to make a few assumptions. We have a 2000 watt inverter and like watching TV at night. The inverter is wired into the house battery circut, so it will run all the appliances wired into the rig. Not a big deal, but many appliances use a small amount of charge for digital dispalies and the like. Something to be aware of.

We usually ran the Generator the next morning for a few hours to charge everything back up, and that worked well. Sometimes I would start it in the evening if the wife needed to use the microwave or our toaser oven. The Refrig we left on automatic and it would switch itself to propane when we shut down the generator. If the generator was running switching to 110V was not a concern for the refrig, as it does it automatically. We also used the satelite dish along with the TV, and never had a power loss issue. We have 3 onboard 12V house batteries, along with the 2 coach batteries. Our smart system monitors the power usage, and if it drops below a certian point, will shut down the inverter.

All in all it is a very well designed coach, and all the systems worked perfectly together (once I figured out the entertainment system!).
Bottom line it that you will have a great time, and your generator is always there to bail you out, if necessary. The 7500W Onan is extremely quiet, and is barely audible 20' away.

Your bigger concerns are going to be controling your water usage, both fresh and gray. I never came close to filling the black tank, but the gray fills quick. I was able to strech it to about 4 days before I needed to dump the gray and refill the fresh. Taking inside showers, especially the wife washing her hair and fill it quick. Just be mindful, and the trip will be a breeze......... Sarge

Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sarge:

When we had a TT years ago, I did install a small 12v pump that allowed me to move water from the grey tank to black. On your Meridian, all you would need to do is put one of those caps with the garden hose outlet on your 3" drain opening, attach a hose with pump, open the grey water drain valve and pump the grey water into the flush inlet of your black tank. If the grey tank is pretty full, you may not even need a pump.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
Sarge:

When we had a TT years ago, I did install a small 12v pump that allowed me to move water from the grey tank to black. On your Meridian, all you would need to do is put one of those caps with the garden hose outlet on your 3" drain opening, attach a hose with pump, open the grey water drain valve and pump the grey water into the flush inlet of your black tank. If the grey tank is pretty full, you may not even need a pump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary - that is a stroke of brilliance! I have been wanting to install some kind of transfer pump to move gray into black but I have been putting it off (I really hate plumbing projects!) That sounds like an easy implementation of the problem.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

John,

That is brilliant. To make it even easier, remember thoes small pumps that fit on an electric drill. Then all you will need are some water hose fittings and 2 small pieces of waterhose.

Think I will make up one this weekend.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:12 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Wow! That does sound brilliantly simple!! Thanks, I'll give it a try. Did you make up the hose adapter for the 3" valve, or did you buy it?

Old 06-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Sarge:

I would just make up the short hoses you need. Adrian's idea about using one of the electric drill pumps is great... no need to fool around with adding pumps, wiring, etc.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Only one question on this approach to moving gray to the black tank (which is certainly something most of us have wanted to do periodically). Both my Journey manual and my current HR manual say the same thing - don't use the flush unless the black tank drain valve is open.

If this is a meaningful requirement, I would suggest that during the transfer process the water be turned off and the toilet flush opened. Might get a bit stinky but that should prevent the problems the requirement is likely trying to avoid.

Does this make sense to anyone?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

dleslie,

The only reason I can imagine for requiring the dump valve be opened is to prevent back pressure from building up and thereby rupturing some seals somewhere. I would think the tank vent would mitigate that situation. Also, with a low volume pump such as the electric drill pump or even a 3.5 GPM pump, you are not driving that much water into the tank that fast. At least not as fast as a 5/8" water hose hooked up to city water where the pressure is likely to be around 50 psi.

I could be wrong but it does not sound lilke it would be a problem because of the low volume of fluid being moved.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have never used the flush feature with the valve open. Glad to know that is what you are suposed to do and will try it the next time. Adrian, I think you are right, the pressure build up should not be a problem.

Because of the Flush King I rarely use the built in flush...Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:41 AM   #17

some of these same members laughed when I said the same thing about having the black tank valve open when using the flush fitting..

They said the roof vent will release the pressure....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:51 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
some of these same members laughed when I said the same thing about having the black tank valve open when using the flush fitting..

They said the roof vent will release the pressure.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've always wondered about that but also wondered about why every manufacturer says you MUST have the black valve open when using the flush.

Is it perhaps just a case of belt and suspenders?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:53 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
I have never used the flush feature with the valve open. Glad to know that is what you are suposed to do and will try it the next time. Adrian, I think you are right, the pressure build up should not be a problem.

Because of the Flush King I rarely use the built in flush...Good Miles </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I miss my Flush King. Well, I still have it but it won't work with the HR. The way the wet bay is setup it won't fit. Very annoying frankly since found the Flush King handy with the Journey.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Only one question on the transfer through the flush fitting. Does anyone know if the flush fitting has any kind of a spray tip that may get clogged with debris from the gray water?