Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Service at Camping World

We purchased our 2018 Winnebago Sightseer 36Z at LaMesa RV show in Phoenix in Feb of this year. Love the RV. Our relationship with LaMesa wasn't the greatest at the time of delivery. They did better at correcting a few minor problems. We drove the RV back to Wisconsin in March. We had a leveling jack problem. Camping World at Madison, Wi resolved the problem with minimal hassle. Also, I had them do an upgrade for me. I have read in multiple forums about how terrible Camping World is, and I felt that I had to post that they treated me exceptionally well. I was treated as well as I would have expected to be if I had bought my rv there, which I didn't I truly feel that most posts are of the negative variety. I would love to see more of the positive. It would really help all of us when we are looking for service. Come on guys, there has to be others who are pleased with Madison Camping World.
Scott and T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Glad to hear that you had a good experience with Camping World. It seems to be the luck of the draw.

Welcome to the forum.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I use my nearby Camping World for warranty service only. My dealer is 240 miles away and Camping World is 35. So I live with the lost paperwork, idiotic delays, blaming Winnebago for everything, and so on. I have one more warranty repair and I won't be using them again. It really is the luck of the draw with them and it all starts with the Service Advisor.

One interesting thing I have learned is that you can check on your dealer's veracity by simply calling Winnebago Service. They can tell you if a repair has been approved, parts ordered for the repair, status of the order, and so on. So if you get the "we are waiting for Winnebago's approval" runaround, call Winnebago. You will get the date the repair was approved and a date when the order was placed. Nothing better then the sound of the Service Manager apologizing.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Site Team

The CW in New Braunfels, TX is 22 miles from my home. I've used them a couple of times on past RVs and Travel Trailers. Never had any big problems with them. However, they remain fully booked up for months. It routinely takes over 45 days to get an appointment.

I have never purchased any RV from them - but my subjective opinion is that I would not do so. I'm not sure why, they just give me a bad impression.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I think CW is like the industry as a whole. While all are under one roof now they were mostly independents at one time and reflect the ideals of the original dealership more than any comprehensive standard from corporate headquarters. I haven't had any warranty work done at our nearby CW but have had them handle something I didn't have the heavy duty tools for on our old trailer. I've also ordered parts through them. In both cases I never had any problems with timely completion of the work or delivery of parts. YMMV.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:28 PM   #6

Luckily my experiences at CW have been good. Santa Clarita, CA location.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

We’ve had some good service from Camping World and other times it has been terrible. We recently bought a new Sightseer that needed lots of warranty work(vinyl replacement, woodwork and quality issues). They were aware enough to refer us back to the factory with our list of 32 items which needed attention which we were glad they did. Camping World Madison has very good people, however they are overwhelmed often and I think their technicians are not trained well enough and turn over is a problem. It can be hit and miss, but persistence has worked for us...not is a bad way, just .etti g them know we are not going away until we’re satisfied
pwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #8

Interesting report, pwick.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Retired Sailor and Wench

Camping World

My first experience with CW was because the Onan Generator carburetor was so gummed up after sitting for years it needed to be replaced. Being a Newbie, I had no reference point as to how much the new carburetor should cost. I did notice that CW's Labor Charge was $145 per hour.

After having the carburetor replaced, I found that the charge for the new carburetor was excessive. I saw the following from another Texas RV service place (only 15 miles away) that had the following advertised price: Cummins Onan Carburetor A041P558 Reg: $325.71 Sale Price $245.98.

I checked my Camping World paperwork and they charged me $556.01 plus tax for the same A041P558 Carburetor!
Tailhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #10
Sightseer 33C owner

Service at camping World

I purchased a 2012 Sightseer 33C from Camping World -Roanoke VA
I used CW to work out a few minor issues that come with any new RV.
I insisted that the best technician work on my RV.
A big problem at many CW locations is the constant change in management, including service departments.
As others have noted in other threads, there are certain warranty and service issues that are common throughout the RV world. You must keep on top of the service process, follow up and be detailed with your requests and review.
I have found the Winnebago Customer Service department to be very helpful - whether by email or phone. Warranty issues of course must be handled through a Winnebago dealership.Non warranty issues can often be handled by DIY RVers by watching online videos, reviewing the Winnebago manuals, referring to online Winnebago parts and service information, talking with other owners, especially by joining a local WIT club chapter.
I have also found it very helpful to contact the component manufacturer directly and ask for the technical or service department. For example, when I had a minor jack problem, I contacted the manufacturer and although I was a couple months outside the warranty period, I received a new solenoid at no cost and had my local RV mechanic install the part. When I had a problem with the water pump, I contacted the manufacturer and received some very helpful information for a minor fix.
Whenever possible, avoid leaving your RV for weeks or months at a dealer waiting for service.
Bottom line: 1. Take good care of your RV and follow all service recommendations (read those manuals and prepare a maintenance schedule). 2. When a problem arises, research and repair yourself if at all possible.
3. When possible use a local RV dealer or local RV mechanic.

HAPPY RVing!!
Didn't someone once say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure..." ???
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #11
Living The Dream

We have frequented Camping World stores for more than a dozen years now, all over the US. Usually we just buy products, although it is important to shop around some to see if there’s a better price. We never have participated in the blood-sport of bashing CW, have had no reason to.

We have used one store, the one on I-35 in Denton, TX, a couple of times for some shop work ... no complaints. Our current toad was set up by them in 2012 and that complicated installation of base plate, transmission lube pump, InvisiBrake, wiring harness, etc., has been trouble free. The tech who did the work was so thorough and particular we tipped him!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:19 AM   #12

"We never have participated in the blood-sport of bashing CW, have had no reason to."

Good comment, SeeTheUSA.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott and T View Post
We purchased our 2018 Winnebago Sightseer 36Z at LaMesa RV show in Phoenix in Feb of this year. Love the RV. Our relationship with LaMesa wasn't the greatest at the time of delivery. They did better at correcting a few minor problems. We drove the RV back to Wisconsin in March. We had a leveling jack problem. Camping World at Madison, Wi resolved the problem with minimal hassle. Also, I had them do an upgrade for me. I have read in multiple forums about how terrible Camping World is, and I felt that I had to post that they treated me exceptionally well. I was treated as well as I would have expected to be if I had bought my rv there, which I didn't I truly feel that most posts are of the negative variety. I would love to see more of the positive. It would really help all of us when we are looking for service. Come on guys, there has to be others who are pleased with Madison Camping World.
My experience with Camping World has not been good. However, La Mesa has met or exceeded my expectations here in Florida.
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:18 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I have had good luck with CW here it Tucson. It helps to be a Good Sam member to get the reduced prices. CW now owns Overton boats and Gander Mountain and those also offer 10%-20% discounts. They are really trying to the boon-docker.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #15
Texas Bush Pilot

Camping World at Concord, NC is not returning my calls. Winnebago's policy of selling parts ONLY to Winne dealers limits my options. All I need is a circuit board for the control panel. Can't get one.
Jefird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Whenever I have needed a part that I couldn't get from the web, I've always called Lichstinn. Good service knowledgeable people. Fair pricing. They will ship any parts you need.I've ordered basement doors (big rock I didn't see) Trim, gaskets so on and so forth. Once in a while they have to call the factory, down the street, but that has only happened to me twice.

I am not affiliated with them, nor have purchased a coach from them.

800-343-6255 ask for Winnebago parts
Old 06-26-2018, 06:44 AM   #17
Sightseer 33C owner

I agree that if you need parts you can get them quickly from Lichtsinn RV and also get a 10% discount for being a WIT member. I have used them several times. Always very helpful. If you can do the work yourself, definitely give them a call for the parts that you need.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:18 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

This is the company that officially supplies all Winnebago parts. Lichtsinn probably get their parts from them as well. They are located just a few miles from Forest City almost on I35. I have used them for years with great results.

Lichtsinn has a really nice show room and are pretty good to deal with, but this outfit has a lot more parts.

WinnebagoParts.com
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Lichstinn is a very friendly experience and always willing to help.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:18 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Camping World, dealerships, etc. are only as good as their mechanics. Unfortunately, they are all victims of the ever growing RV sales and cannot support the repair side. Good mechanics are hard to find, probably because they don't pay them what they should and place them on a time table because the business is bulging at the seams.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, service