Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-n-Karen View Post
Hi kjburns, thanks for your input. . We are definitely looking into it being our home so definitely in the 300K+ area!!!
We are definitely looking for a spacious floor plan (a maximized one) while considering all that we feel we'd need.
I have actually seen videos of the TOUR 42QD and it is lovely!
Ok, I see we're on the same page. I'm not a full timer, but if I was I'd still want this coach. When I bought mine, it was the only game in town. Nobody had a competitive floor plan. Now, everyone and their dog has a similar (read: copy) of it.

I like some of them, others not so much. The upgrades to the more recent Tour models don't do a lot for me. For example, the Entegra in the recent Motorhome magazine had a very similar plan, but gave up living room space for a larger rear bathroom. That's not a plan I would select. It doesn't have the laptop desk at the recliner and the living room is smaller. I've heard some quality issues with the Entegra from another board member that would be a sneaky deal breaker.

That's not to say that the Tour is perfect. I've had a few issues with my 2011 like the driver's side mirror falling apart for no reason. They all have flaws.

I've found the 42QD to be the most "residential" plan of them all, even compared to the copies. I travel with my wife, a dog and cat and the living room is never snug. We're never tripping over each other. The half bath is handy when nature calls both at once. The washer and dryer are something I'd consider a prerequisite for full time use. The tanks are huge, but the electric toilets will fill the black tank sooner than you'd expect. I could go on, but you get my drift. I could easily live in our 2011 Tour 42QD. If you're considering used, they're available for a lot less than $300k.

Don't be swayed by my choice. Take your time and examine the other choices and read about them. You'll want your new home to be as perfect as possible. Make sure the coach you pick is really where you want to live every day.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Ahhh the Tour….thats my dream when I win the Power Ball tonight! And Camping World in Cocoa has just the one I want…..sorry…just dreamin'...
Kdsgone2dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

If you are interested in a vacation to see how Winnebago/Itasca are built you could go to Forest City, IA. The factory tour is very educational and the service department great for the most part. Also, the Freightliner chassis is built in Garrney, SC. Another educational tour and great service department.

Here is a link to Lightsinn.com, the dealer closest to Winnebago: Winnebago, Itasca, Era Motorhomes - Lichtsinn Motors Forest City, Iowa - RV Dealer

When you know what you want and don't want, if a Winnebago produce, give them a call to find one for you or purchase new through them. In Forest City there is a very nice campground and your can 'maiden voyage' not far from the factory. Great way to get issues resolved quickly and with folks who know the product.

My hat is off to those folks who plan years in advance for such a move. Buying a RV that is for more than just fishing, hunting or weekend sports is a BIG DEAL. You can buy wisely or impulsively even with planning. Once you 'know' what you want find one to look at and ask the dealer if you could weekend in it if he has a hookup for you. Many may do that, but don't commit to anything when you do this.

A note about sales. Many of the folks are enthusiastic and knowledgable. But many more are simply BS suppliers. Know your product, every detail you can find, before you talk to the dealer. That gives you leverage.

Hope to hear a good report from you in a year or two. For now, questions asking is a great way to prepare.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Now that I understand you are wanting a new coach and have a $300K budget, I would suggest you take a serious look at Entegra coaches. I have nothing against Winnebago... owned two of them and they served us well. However, even in their most expensive 42' rigs, Winnebago refuses to use a side radiator configuration. IMO the Spartan Mountain Master chassis with the side radiator configuration is superior to the FL chassis with rear cooling pack that Winnebago uses.

Assuming you can find floor plans you like in either brand, give this some consideration. If you will be living in the coach full time, you may find yourself at the mercy of some shop when something breaks (things will break on any of them). Access to stuff on a side radiator coach is much easier than rear radiator and that means less hassle if you do your own maintenance or lower labor costs if you plan to pay someone else to maintain/repair. Plus rear radiator cooling packs suck up more dirt and greasy vapors from the engine and require periodic cleaning. Side cooling pack rigs tend to stay cleaner and are much more easy to wash/clean when they do get dusty. Open the engine hatch on a rear rad coach and a side rad coach and see which you would prefer to work on.

Check with the Entegra owners forum and see what they are saying about their rigs. From what I read and hear, they are built better than most and the company's customer service is outstanding.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

The Entegra is a nice coach but I don't know if they have a older model 40' or less. The rear radiator does restrict the engine accessibility, true. Winnebago did away with the side mount when they went to roof HVAC. The basement got larger as a results.

On older rear mount radiators problems were had with vapors from the engine causing the intercooler and radiator to plug around 100K miles. With the new design of the Cummins I don't know if this is a problem any longer. I can't speak of Cat. I personally don't care for them but that is a personal decision.

The coach you get needs to fit your lifestyle. If a 45' will work, got for it. If you are interested in COE parks and unimproved state and local parks, even older private campgrounds, this may not be a good way to go.

The best advice I can give is to stay tuned here on irv2. From what you learn make your best choice. It's a great lifestyle when planned correctly.

Be blessed as you decide on your future.

Rick
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
If you are interested in a vacation to see how Winnebago/Itasca are built you could go to Forest City, IA. The factory tour is very educational and the service department great for the most part. Also, the Freightliner chassis is built in Garrney, SC. Another educational tour and great service department.

Here is a link to Lightsinn.com, the dealer closest to Winnebago: Winnebago, Itasca, Era Motorhomes - Lichtsinn Motors Forest City, Iowa - RV Dealer

When you know what you want and don't want, if a Winnebago produce, give them a call to find one for you or purchase new through them. In Forest City there is a very nice campground and your can 'maiden voyage' not far from the factory. Great way to get issues resolved quickly and with folks who know the product.

My hat is off to those folks who plan years in advance for such a move. Buying a RV that is for more than just fishing, hunting or weekend sports is a BIG DEAL. You can buy wisely or impulsively even with planning. Once you 'know' what you want find one to look at and ask the dealer if you could weekend in it if he has a hookup for you. Many may do that, but don't commit to anything when you do this.

A note about sales. Many of the folks are enthusiastic and knowledgable. But many more are simply BS suppliers. Know your product, every detail you can find, before you talk to the dealer. That gives you leverage.

Hope to hear a good report from you in a year or two. For now, questions asking is a great way to prepare.

Happy trails,
Rick
We have a 42QD and love it. Its a 2012 model. It had one PO who sold it back to the dealer we bought it from - unfortunately the husband took ill and could not drive it any longer. The Tour only had 7,200 miles on it. As a result we were able to get a great deal on it and have the complete service history. From what I saw there were a number of issues that were resolved under warranty. So I definitely would recommend buying used with the following in mind:
  1. Look for a late model with low miles.
  2. Make sure the MH has the service history
  3. See if you can find out why they are selling and if possible speak to the prior owner(s).
  4. If being sold buy a dealer make sure they are reputable and are authorized to service the make you are buying. The dealer I purchased my Tour from has received Winnebago's Circle of Excellence Award for the last 10 years.
  5. Delivery - As part of my purchase the dealer spent a full day going through the coach making sure everything was working properly and repairing anything that needed repairing. They then detailed the interior and exterior and delivered it with a full tank of fuel and DEF. All service was brought up to date. Delivery also included a full walk through.
Also we are looking to head out west next summer. We want to tour the Winnebago factory in Forest City. What is the campground that is near there?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-n-Karen View Post
Hi Everyone!

We are currently shopping for our retirement coach and wanted to ask if any of you would be willing to share the pros and cons of your coaches to better help us with our decision!

We thank you in advance for assisting us,

Mike-n-Karen
Are you new to RVing? Are you familiar with the systems in a motorhome? If not, perhaps you should rent a few RVs and spend some time in them. You might find that the reality is not at all as you imagined. Good luck.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the rental. Certainly showed us what we like and dont like.

Just a thought about selling your house and going full time. I have heard the same story numerous times as a campground host. People sell house and sink all the money into an Rv. People enjoy Rv for a while but eventually decide they need to go back to house. In the mean time Rv has depreciated. Now sell the Rv and there isn't enough money to buy a house (or apartment). Moral is not to sink all your money into an Rv. Plan on what you will do when you are not full timing.

Good Luck,
Allen
alkillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Congrats on your coming adventure! I'm sure you'll love it.

With the information you've now provided, I assume you're looking at buying a new DP which is at least 40 feet long. And, since you posted this in the Winnie forum, I assume you're asking about Winnie products.

In 2007, after retiring, we sold our house and bought our first ever RV of any kind. It is an Itasca Ellipse 40FD.

We've pretty much loved everything about it starting with the four slides, CCC, and spacious floorplan. Winnie has also been great to work with on support issues.

The only thing we don't like about it, and it's a personal taste issue with me, is the exterior styling of Winnie coaches. Frankly I think they're a bit boxy and ugly compared to more stylish designs.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

What type of sleeping arrangements? If you presently sleep in a king you might want one in the rig on the other hand if you sleep in twins that also is a consideration. Are you planning on sleep over guests, friends, G'Kids and the like, you will need a couch that makes into a bed, on the other hand if you don't need it, two recliners in the living area would work.

Don't ever feel you are over using or asking simple questions of this forum and the more specific the better.

The next chapter should be about finances, medical insurance and the like.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

When going fulltime, consider your hobbies and interests. You may have to downsize your hobby, or find new ones.
Gardening turns into a few flowers in pots. Woodworking turns into a mini lathe or wood carving. Car racing turns into watching car races on Tv, or switching to R/C cars. That workshop full of tools shrinks to a single tool kit. The grand piano turns into an electronic keyboard.
You just dont have room to take everything with you.

We have met several folks that could not find suitable hobbies, eventually got bored, and became non-fulltimers.

Best of Luck,
Allen
alkillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
C20
Winnebago Watcher

Nova,
You can camp right there at the factory. They have electric only hook ups and I think you can stay up to two days. It's a neat tour.
C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:32 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by C20 View Post
Nova,
You can camp right there at the factory. They have electric only hook ups and I think you can stay up to two days. It's a neat tour.
Yes. This is true for service. If you are just wanting to visit I would recommend joining the WIT club and going to the Grand National Rally.

The city park is called Pamela Park and has great RV sites and a big dump station. Cost is very reasonable, if any.

Getting any coach related issues address at the factory service center is a great choice. The folks are friendly and knowledgeable. I also recommend going to the chassis manufacture factory service center for chassis related work and services when possible. FCCC was great in Gaffney, SC. They also have a 'boot camp' that teaches good chassis practices. We have not gone yet but are planning on it.

Happy trails all,
Rick