Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV Wash

What's the best RV Wash product to use on new MH with full body paint and clear coat? Been researching, and it's really confusing.

Winnebago recommends a lambs wool mitt/wash pad and baby shampoo.

What say fellow Winnebago owners?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi,

I use a RV Wash and Wax when the coach is real dirty otherwise I just use plain water. I also use a microfiber mitt on a long handle and it does a fine job. If you get a lambs wool mitt make sure it is pure lambs wool and not synthetic.

When waxing the Coach I use Protect-all and do it usually twice a year.

Hope this answers your question.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

PA Weldor, we have a Newmar, but ours came with the same instructions re using a wool mitt and baby shampoo. I do use the wool mitt as I found the microfiber does leave swirl marks. I use Mothers car wash with carnuba wax(walmart-yellow soap), and I wax it with McGuires Pure Carnuba wax( no cleaners), it goes on/off easy and when done it looks better than the day I got it. Using the Mothers wash in between waxing keeps it nice and smooth/glossy with no swirls.

By the way I love your tag line, that couldn't say it any better.....
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I use Meguire's cleaner wax in between washes. Goes on like wax and removes black streaks, bug goo, and bird bombs with a wipe of the cloth. I have an 03 with full body paint and it really keeps it shining. I apply it about once a month from spring to fall. Just did it yesterday. Took about 90 minutes and will keep the exterior protected until next spring.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I use a water less product that is a Boeing Aircraft Spec product called Wash Wax All. The system works with a proprietary mob head that holds a dry and a wet Microfiber mob. I have been able to clean and wax my coach in a little over two hours without getting on a ladder. It is also the best windshield cleaning system that I have come across.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Weldor View Post
What's the best RV Wash product to use on new MH with full body paint and clear coat? Been researching, and it's really confusing.

What say fellow Winnebago owners?
That's what Newmar recommends now too, must be a reason they recommend it. You know, like that's what works!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I went the right route with ordering a Lambswool wash and pad holder. Now, I need to buy some Meguire's.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I second Wash & Wax All from Aero Cosmetics
Old 11-15-2014, 12:43 PM   #9

To wash the rv I use Blue Coral Concentrate sold at Wal-Mart for $4 and when I dry the rv I spray on Lucas Slick Mist or Turtle Wax 1 Step Wash & Dry. Both of these sell at Wal-Mart for about $5 to $7. I used to wax the rv twice a year with NuFinish, but it is too much work. So easy to spray on products when you dry the rv and the shine is great.
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
I used to wax the rv twice a year with NuFinish, but it is too much work. So easy to spray on products when you dry the rv and the shine is great.
Spray on products last about as long as they take to put on and are a waste of money. If you want lasting results use a real wax product. You will find That the more you wax, the easier it goes on and buffs off, and the better your rig will look.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

for the owners who use the "Wash & Wax All" how long does the product really last.

I know when I looked at it at the GNR I thought about it, but I am the old school type where I feel without washing the dirt off with soap and water you can scratch the body. That is the way I always did my cars since I was a teenager. Right now I wash the RV whenever I can with a "Premium Gel-Gloss Wash and Wax" soap and wax by hand once a year. Once in awhile in between I do use Eagle spray on wax
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

How do you keep it from spotting after washing? I even did the vinegar and baby shampoo setup and it still spots.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I could never understand how a wash and wax product could really do either job properly if they are used at the same time. I typically wash the RV every two to three weeks and use a cleaner wax once a month. Since there really isn't a whole lot of dirt on the RV when I use the cleaner wax, it doesn't scratch the paint. Some of you may think I'm a little anal, but that's the way I am with my stuff. I also do a 41 ft boat, and two vehicles that way. Let's just say doing all that and mowing the lawn keeps me busy when I'm not working or away camping!
Old 11-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The Wash Wax All product carries a Boeing Aircraft Specification for use on Boeing aircraft. This is popular for use on high end private aircraft. I have not scratched my rig using this system. If there is gross contamination then I will rinse off with water first and then clean using the Wash Wax All. I clean after I arrive at a destination and then once a month I will clean it. Usually takes about 2 hours for a quick job and another hour to get the hard to hit spots. This affords me a chance to inspect the rig. With the California drought restrictions on washing vehicles. IMO it is the best method. I also don't have to use a ladder with the proprietary mob head.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:37 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the above, I am using the Wash Wax All system and it does not scratch the coach. I am impressed with both the product and the company (they're replacing defective mop heads sold between April 7 and Oct 21 free, mine was included in that group). Very easy to use, very quick to get the job done.

You can also clean your coach usually at a campsite as you're not using any water, just wiping it down.
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,

I use a RV Wash and Wax when the coach is real dirty otherwise I just use plain water. I also use a microfiber mitt on a long handle and it does a fine job. If you get a lambs wool mitt make sure it is pure lambs wool and not synthetic.

When waxing the Coach I use Protect-all and do it usually twice a year.

Hope this answers your question.

I can't remember where the thread in now, but somewhere on irv2.com is a thread stating neither Newmar or Tiffin now says not to use microfiber on their paint, it scratches the clear coat.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The way I understand how to use Microfiber towels is that if it hits the ground then you can use it on the tires. Yes,they a very effective at picking up small hard bits that can scratch the paint. So as a rule, the towels don't scratch the gel coat. Debris caught in the towel scratches the gel coat.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:28 AM   #18

As others mentioned, I used to be "anal" about waxing the coach with NuFinish and even tried Mother's & Meguires at one point. I agree that the wax does go on easier after the first few times, but it is a lot of work. The spray on products, Lucas Slick Mist and Turtle Wax 1 Step Wash & Dry work just as well and seem to last. I get just as many admiring comments on how nice my rv looks as when I use to wax. I cannot say how long the spray on products last, because when traveling, I wash the rv every 2 or 3 weeks, and use one of the spray products when I dry. If you are going to dry your rv to prevent spotting, then why not use a spray product. It is a no-brainer, particularly when they cost $5 to $7 and I get 2 to 3 uses out of each bottle. As someone else mentioned, you do not even need a ladder, just a long pole with a towel, spray on the towel and dry to a brilliant shine. Love it, and I won't get a heart attack or fall off a ladder while keeping my coach look like new!
Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
The way I understand how to use Microfiber towels is that if it hits the ground then you can use it on the tires. Yes,they a very effective at picking up small hard bits that can scratch the paint. So as a rule, the towels don't scratch the gel coat. Debris caught in the towel scratches the gel coat.
Here is a link to that discussion: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/tiffi...ts-224427.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Deny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa weldor View Post
what's the best rv wash product to use on new mh with full body paint and clear coat? Been researching, and it's really confusing.

What say fellow winnebago owners?
i bought a mit on a pole from harbor freight (7.00) i put a little turtle wax (wash & wax) liquid in a pan, add 1quart of water. I then apply the wash & wax to the motor home in sections ie, half of one side , cab -both doors & nose, then back end. If the coach is relative ly clean, i do not hose off-i wipe with a towell-putting towell on my mit pole for higher areas. No spotting-great shine, rinse the mit between sections if it shows dirt. Takes me about 30 /40minutes to do my 2014 view- my coach always sparkles and the turtle wax is very easy to work with. It is not work. I have been out over 100 days in 12 months, and i do this routine at campgrounds - no issues with management because i do not spray water-i merely wipe with a damp mit.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote