Old 08-21-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV Roadside Assistance Preferences?

I currently have Good Sam Roadside Assistance and Roadside Assistance via my RV Insurance provider, Progressive.

I have recently seen many complaints about Good Sam, concerning their ability/interest in actually getting you out of a bind. It seems that GS can't always find *any* tow service to come and help. One customer was in Napa Valley, Ca. Hardley in the middle of nowhere and GS couldn't get help the same day. It wasn't much past 4 pm as I recall. That post led to many others claiming that GS couldn't find a service to help out in a reasonable time. This led to ex-customers thinking that it may be that GS is low-balling the tow services and those services just say, "Nope, can't do it for that price" so you, the customer is left on the side of the highway.

So, I wonder about my subscription to Good Sam.

I also have Progressive RV Insurance and have Roadside Assitance thru them. I have never used any roadside assistance, so I don't know if either of these are actually reliable in an emergency.

The consensus from the stream of posts that I have referred to seems to think that Coach-Net is the best.

So...
what do y'all think? What do you use? Who do you trust? How did they come thru when you NEEDED them?
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Looks to me you have been reading the RV. Net forum about GSRA. Just remember people are first to complain and will seldom post a positive anything.

With that said, I have had GSRA for many many years. I have used them for tire change on my rig and tv three times. I used them once for out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. I believe one has to remember there are only so many tow companies around a given area. Each tow company is more than likely a member of one or more roadside asst. groups.

For what ever reason you pick one over the other you will most likely never find out if its good or bad or lets hope so. That would mean you have had many miles of trouble free RVing.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Coachnet has a very high rating of satisfaction, at about three times the cost of GSRA.

Choose the one that gives you highest comfort level/feel-good inside satisfaction.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:18 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I miss the reason for having the same service through two different places. I look at roadside service as one where the bigger provider is likely to have more places to call. So how many RVs versus how many Progressive vehicles on the road and I feel the Progressive is way more common and much more likely to have somebody in the neighborhood. Another way to think of it might be the difficulty of getting somebody to sign up to service RV versus the standard issue calls? Would one rather sign up to change tires on a car or would he rather to do a bus?
I go with the roadside service provided through my insurance but then I also do want to read it very carefully for coverage as they do vary. As long as my coverage provides the service for anything I happen to be driving , I go with keeping one single policy. Since Good Sam would not fix my car on the way to work, I don't even consider it.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have the two services (GSRA and Progressive) because I already had GSRA at the time I had to change my liability/collision insurace. The new insurance from Progressive was set up with roadside assistance by default. I didnt even know I had it until recently when I examined the contract closely.
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote