Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Hi all. Time to renew our RV insurance and was wondering if anyone would suggest I not get Good Sam, which is the cheapest I've seen between Geico, Progressive and Good Sam. Just need regular DMV type insurance...already have roadside assistance and extended equipment insurance. Other companies you like?? Thanks, Dave

We have State Farm on our vehicles and home because they give us a quantity discount for using them for all our insurance needs. I use AAA for emergency towing because SF doesn't offer it.
Smitty550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

SF

Just hope you guys never have a SF claim. I too thought it was good insurance till I had a claim. By the way, the claim was for a wreck in which I was Not at fault and involved underinsured coverage. I am currently suing SF for bad faith.
RandyMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:42 PM   #23
2004 Minnie 29B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
Hi all. Time to renew our RV insurance and was wondering if anyone would suggest I not get Good Sam, which is the cheapest I've seen between Geico, Progressive and Good Sam. Just need regular DMV type insurance...already have roadside assistance and extended equipment insurance. Other companies you like?? Thanks, Dave
I have had Good Sam Insurance on my motorhomes for about 25 years. Policy is actually through National General Insurance Company. Have had to use three times, Twice for towing and once for a collision. Had great service all three times with no problems or complaints. When I have had questions or changes in my policy, have always had good interactions with them. Rates were good. But did get hit with surcharge for collision. Be glad when that goes away next year. Hope this helps.
RV Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Thanks so much for all of your replies and suggestions. I am a lousy shopper (no patience) and so with my policy expiring soon, I just re-signed with Progressive. I didn't see any real negative replies for Progressive. Once I get my policy, i might share the costs and what's covered with you all. I'm pretty thick-skinned so I can take the likely ridicule Thanks again, Dave
DaveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 04:59 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomango View Post
I am in St Louis. We have everything through Farmers. Maybe worth a look.
Funny fact, Farmer's does not sell Farm Insurance. Found out when shopping for Ins for the farm.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:29 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

I can only conclude there must be a lot of variations between State Farm agents and/or the states in which they operate. I've been a State Farm customer since 1973 in Michigan, Alaska, Florida, and back to Alaska again. Renter's insurance, auto, RV, and homeowners. We've had a few claims over the years which SF honored with no questions asked. Even after loosing a lot of stuff in Hurricane Andrew they said just make a list of stuff damaged, destroyed (including a TT), missing, or stolen and they paid us the replacement value on the spot. We were amazed with their trust and immediate response! There was never a significant rate increase after any claim unless we changed the coverages.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Here in Illinois we have Country Companies. Great Company. Never a problem with a claim. Great rates.........I'm a shopper! 1st priority is quality service and then price. My wife use to work for a Insurance Claims Office and she has experience with different companies........some good, some not so good.
Side note: We also have a "Liability Umbrella" policy because of my career. $1,000,000 protection for $180 a year. Best deal going. Anything happens they provide company attorneys to represent you.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

One thing to remember, if you are a FULLTIMER... you must advise your insurance carrier that you live in the RV. Insurance rates are significantly higher for full time living. (I'm not a full-timer, but I have read many posts about insurance in that case.)
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 06:34 AM   #29
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo6771 View Post
I went thru Winnebago....havent used them yet
We used Winnebago for insurance, but they are just an agent not an insurance company. They placed us with Progressive which was the least expensive since we have our cars insured through them and got a bundled rate.

We had previously used a local insurance agent for everything and I found Winnebago to be much more knowledgeable and helpful with the RV. We decided not to go with Winnebago's roadside assistance insurance and added AAA+RV to the AAA coverage we already had. That worked out well and was successfully tested the first day out on our trip this summer.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Our annual renewal is coming up with Foremost (which is a Farmers company) and I'm curious if anyone approaches their coverage by going thru the hassle of discontinuing coverage while the RV is sitting unused? We generally travel 4 to 6 mo's, this past year less. I'm not terribly concerned about damage as it sits, we are in an area where tornadoes, floods and other catastrophes do not occur (new mexico, I know never say never). I'm thinking going thru the process maybe twice a year would be worth saving hopefully half of a $900 annual premium.
abqnm is offline   Reply With Quote