Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV GPS

We want to invest in a RV GPS. looking at a Garmin 660 and 770. Big difference in price not sure if there is a big enough difference in the two to prchase the 770. All comments pros and cons will be greatly appreciated. We have a 30ft. Sunstar. Thanks in advance.
SBSdps1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I don't buy here very often but they certainly are amongst the most tech savy folks around: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Fdun2w...SAAEgLBM_D_BwE

Check their comparison then call them up and chat!
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I use a Garmin Dezi 770. The 7" screen is so much easier foe my "old" eyes to see. The Dezi is a truckers model so I use a SD for RV info.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Either one will work great, but I agree that the larger screen is a definite plus. Also shop for one that comes with free map upgrades.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The lifetime udate ones usually have LMT after the number but check before you buy.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

you can also look into the Rand McNally truck gps. I have the OEM rand in my View. I've found the Garmin systems not as good and I've had several over the years.... yes get the lifetime maps if you can
Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We personally have a RAND from Camping World, truckers model so it takes our height and weight into consideration when plotting routes. Screen size is very important bigger the better, then you also need sun shade with a good way to mount. Ours just sits on the dash so that co-pilot can reach and driver can see... ours has wifi so it can also get weather, with the option for live traffic. We full time in a 38J Itasca.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have the 770 and love it... works well building trips on my Mac after a little getting used to. Has all the gas stops and campgrounds. Don’t know the 660
Hendo6771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have been using CoPilot by Alk Technologies for 13 years. Go to copilotgps.com It comes as an app which I use on my iPhone or iPad. As the copilot for our rig I prefer using the iPad for its bigger screen so I can zoom in to see the details of complicated interchanges. All the map upgrades are free. It does not require a data plan. They have a free basic version that can be downloaded. I use the USA/Canada version to plan trips, customize the route, save favorite locations, and identify stops by address or GPS coordinates. I can customize it to avoid areas where we need to be concerned about the height of our rig. There is the overhead 2D version of the map which has the moving triangle on the map, or a 3D version which is like being on the ground and moving forward. There is an RV version for $39.99 but I am happy with the USA/Canada version. I believe the cost is $9.99. I won't leave home without it!
Old 05-31-2018, 06:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

After reading reviews on Garmin , Magellan , and Rand Mcnally , are there any RV GPS that really work in the 200 to 500 dollar range . ? WE have navigated using our cell phones travelling in our 2008 Winnebago Access 31j . This works ok , but we are looking for something more RV specific .
plock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 07:00 PM   #11
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Really like my 770. Especially the traffic system. It's helped quite a bit getting through Fort Worth and Dallas. Gives you plenty of warning in advance of an accident and keeps you updated as to the status of the accident. Mine came with the lifetime map and lifetime traffic update. A little heart heavy this is the third one I've had. The Rand McNally was good I enjoyed using it. I personally think that the Garmin is better. But I believe that the matter of choice. Love the 7 inch screen. And for once a suction cup actually works. How to pair it with my Garmin dash cam.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your reply . I will take another look the 770.
plock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:31 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

My 770 dezl has been great. I use Garmin Basecamp on my laptop to do the route planing (using a custom RV vehicle profile; size, weight, road type avoidance, etc.) add in any campgrounds and POIs I want -- check against Google Maps and make adjustments I want, then send to the 770. Has been working great. I run Google Maps on my phone alongside the Garmin to get the current and updated road and traffic conditions. I also use a truckers atlas to check local roads for obstacles and low clearances.
Lots of time planning and reviewing of route = very few problems.
I especially like the lane views of complex interstate interchanges, like in the PIC. Navigating something like this with a paper road atlas might be a bit difficult.

Good luck with your choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	High_Five.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	169660  
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Whichever one you wind up with, get to know it's idiosyncrasies! Our Rand McNally 7715 has an option for "allow freeways", "Prefer freeways" or avoid freeways. The "allow freeways" put us on a narrow two lane bridge over the Mississippi, because it saved a couple of miles. Should have checked "prefer freeways"
Learn the options on yours, and now we always preview the route on a paper map the night before.
Lesson learned the hard way.
Steve-n-Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:08 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I like "avoid tolls." Retired and not in a hurry.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Be careful on the so called "lifetime" updates. Magellan's is three years after purchase. There may be differences based on manufacturer and model, suggest checking faq's and Definitions" as not always in the manual.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #17
George&Jan

I was going to post a similar question - considering a GPS for the motor home. But before spending bigger $$ think I’ll try the CoPilot app. I downloaded the free version to get a feel - paired with an iPad this might do. Only thing so far is that it seems to need a street address; setting a destination as “Traverse City State Park” (like one can in the resident iPhone app) doesn’t work.”, so trip planning will take more time.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:32 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

We were in remote areas this past weekend without cell service and I was happy to have my Garmin. I do wish I had purchased the model with WiFi built in, but it isn’t terrible having to plug into the laptop every few months.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #19
George&Jan

Thanks!
Looks like the app and the map database (2.7gb) are fully resident in the device so I think it’s driven by gps, not network... but I’m guessing
What model Garmin did U choose? Based on quite a number of reviews the “RV” versions might have questionable value.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CambriaRista View Post
Thanks!
Looks like the app and the map database (2.7gb) are fully resident in the device so I think it’s driven by gps, not network... but I’m guessing
What model Garmin did U choose? Based on quite a number of reviews the “RV” versions might have questionable value.
I have the 660LMT. It takes the RV length, height and weight into account when making routes. That is good because the short route to my storage area has a 9’ bridge height. Other times it gives warnings of bridge weight limits. You can toggle between RV and car modes, as well.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps