Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I was on the Chassis Prep tour the other day. In one of the bays was a chassis with a tag axle One of the guys on the tour asked the guide about it and he woud not comment on it.

Then, this morning while talking to some friends that know a lot of Winnebago staff, they mentioned Winnebago would be comming out with a 42' and 45' coach maybe in 2010 with a tag axle.

Any comments????
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I was on the Chassis Prep tour the other day. In one of the bays was a chassis with a tag axle One of the guys on the tour asked the guide about it and he woud not comment on it.

Then, this morning while talking to some friends that know a lot of Winnebago staff, they mentioned Winnebago would be comming out with a 42' and 45' coach maybe in 2010 with a tag axle.

Any comments????
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
Outbumn,

At the Florida Rally this year, Winnebago circulated a survey regarding the participants opinion of tag axles and whether Winnebago should get back into that type of unit. Apparently, they are doing more than surveying the owners.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 07-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #4

Ron,
At the womens forum here this week, they had us review and rate 5 floorplans....all were over 42 feet. Gee, I wonder why that was. The facilatator who was at our table would not say yea or nay, but I am guessing you are right. We gave them (as women) our opinion on the floorplan we liked the best and made suggestions on how we would like an RV designed. Hope they listened to us. Have a safe trip home.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

To me, it's a no-brainer. Tiffin's Allegro Bus sales greatly skewed towards the tag axle chassis once they were introduced. I'm sure Winnebago will boost their sales accordingly once they bring one out.

Rvers who look for the nicer diesel pushers want amenities and room. The 42-43' floorplans give you that room. Plus, a typical 40' upscale pusher may have adequate CCC but it's dangerously closer, or even over, on the rear axle weight. All those quad slides, ceramic tile floors, washer-dryers, dishwashers, solid cherry cabinets, and solid surface countertops really add on the weight and most of it is over the 20,000 lb rear axle. Adding a tag axle gives you an extra 10K of capacity and allows the coach builder to stretch the length a few feet. Also, driving a tag axle is a dream compared to a single rear axle. Most owners that you talk to won't go back to a single axle after once having a tag.

I think Winnebago will do well with offering a 42-43' tag axle unit as long as they offer it in a Vectra class or better. I'm just surprised it took them this long to figure it out.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Maybe they know a secret??? The rest of auto -truck - rv and anything that moves industry is downsizing. If you reverse the trend it just might work......then again????
Old 07-25-2008, 04:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We were at the GNR and I wondered why Winnie does not have a tag unit. We have been delighted with our Tour and after taking the plant and chassis tours, am impressed with the engineering they put into the units. As a fulltimer, I would certainly consider a tag Winnie in the future and hope they take a shot at it.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote