Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacing carpet

Hi,I'm Paul and new to the forum. My wife would like to replace the carpeting in our living area with laminate (snap-together) wood flooring. The curb side of the coach is tile (in front of the kitchen, etc.) but the driver's side (dining, sofa, etc.) is a light colored carpet. The RV is a 2008 Adventurer and we have owned it almost two years. We have shampooed the carpet numerous times but it still looks dingy.
I have been told replacing the carpet on the slide can cause problems with leaks (air and water) and allow insects an entry point. Has anyone encountered problems when replacing carpeting? Thanks.
pthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

There are tons of postings about this if you use the search function. There's not much point in starting another thread on this well-discussed process. There are pros and cons to each material. A lot also depends on the nature of your slide-outs and how they glide over the floor.

Here's a link to one, pretty extensive thread on one Winnie owners experience with Allure flooring. Be sure to read page 9 since the original poster's optimistic experience deteriorates significantly as time goes on:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...all-91826.html

I'm going through a floor replacement as well and have rejected the idea of laminate due to it's susceptibility to water damage (I've had some leaking at the bottom corners of my slide outs). Luxury Vinyl plank flooring doesn't have this problem but is more susceptible to scratching from the slide-outs. Both laminate and Luxury Vinyl are also much heavier than carpet at just under to over 2 lbs/sq ft.

We're leaning towards a combination of commercial grade carpet tiles and vinyl (either luxury vinyl or traditional vinyl tiles), however our needs are somewhat unique in that my wife uses a wheelchair.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote