Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Angry Regretting purchasing a new 2019 2106FSB Micro Minnie

This is my first post and regrettably, I have nothing but complaints to post. I am on just my second road trip since purchasing my Micro Minnie. Since I left North Carolina in early August, I have had nothing, but one problem after another. I did provide a list of issues I was already having before I took my travel trailer in this past May for it's first required inspection. Regrettably, only one issue with dust and dirt getting into my camper and issues with the flimsy stabilizers jacks was kind of addressed.
So here I am in Montana with friends after returning from a four-day venture into one of the many beautiful state parks. I was already having issues with the jacks and now there are two of them that I cannot raise or lower due to the welded nipples shearing off. The tool is designed for a 3/4 bolt head, but Winnebago decided to go the cheap route. All four flimsy stabilizers need to be replaced with better quality stabilizers that will actually raise or lower the corners of my camper. The black water valve will not fully open or close, which makes it impossible to dump the tank without making a stinking mess. The screens do not fit properly, but that is minor when compared to the other issues. The air conditioner stopped working three days ago regardless of using my 3000-watt pure sine wave generator. Nor will it run on 110. The dealership where I purchased my camper provides a lifetime warranty, but where do I go from here? I have been waiting for a return phone call from my dealer. Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.
crg502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Site Team

First, so sorry for your problems. Don't be too discouraged. All will be fine and you'll really enjoy your TT.

Second - this may not be what you expected but initial problems are not unusual on a TT. It's usually suggested that a new owner take a couple of meaningful shake down trips to identify problems with enough time to get them corrected in time.

Also, do you know your stabilizers are not to level your TT? They are only to help reduce (not eliminate) rocking motions while walking inside the trailer. They are not strong enough for leveling. Using them for that can be bad for the stabilizers and also bad for the frame of the RV (bending and tweaking the frame).

Any RV repair place can work on your AC and on your dump valves. Don't be afraid to get these things fixed ASAP as needed. Dealers love to woo buyers with worthless promises like "lifetime warranties." That kind of warranty is worth exactly what you paid for it... nothing.

Call Winnebago and get approval for hiring someone to where you are to fix the black tank flush and the AC.

Also, generally stabilizers, depending on the type you have are also easy to buy and replace. BAL is the brand of scissor stabilizer I used and most all RV parts store sell them two to a package for about $90. Amazon can ship them to you pretty much where ever you are. NOTE: you may have a different type of stabilizer - but they too are replaceable.

WBGO probably will not agree that the problem with the stabilizers is bad design. But you never know. You could try to get them to replace them.

Also, you can purchase an inexpensive gate valve that you can quickly attach to the end of your dump pipe that will allow you to close the outlet and put a cap on and off the dump piping without a mess.

Look for something like this: Valterra Black T58 Twist-On Waste Valve. Here's a video demonstration.

Old 09-04-2019, 01:48 PM   #3
Site Team

One thing I forgot to mention - EVERY TT and RV owner goes through these teething problems. Some more some less. And it applies to EVERY brand from the cheapest to the most expensive. Don't feel it's a WBGO issue alone.

Many first time RV owners are shocked to learn how little quality control is applied to the production of RVs. These are not like cars - they are not developed like cars, designed like cars, built like cars or warrantied like cars.

All experienced RVers will tell you - unfortunately - this is part of the RV experience. And NEXT RV you buy you'll not only be more careful but know what to look for.

Hang tough, tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your very useful feedback and advise. I ordered the Valterra T58 twist-on waste valve from Amazon. I called the dealership and they told me to bring my camper in for the needed warranty work, but I told them that was impossible since I am in Montana. It looks like I will have to pay out of pocket for a better quality "stabilizer" brackets. I have only used the poor quality stabilizers to stabilize my TT, but the welded nipples still sheared off. I also left a message with Winnebago and expect to hear from them tomorrow.
Thanks again and I will post an update later. Hopefully will be a satisfied customer update.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Wow! This has been one of many threads talking about recent built quality on the Winnebago brand TTs being very bad and that some things are being under-engineered or just bad designed leading to dis-satisfied customers. I totally dis-agree with the posters who are telling you that this is normal and you should just live with it. IT'S NOT ACCEPTABLE AND NOT NORMAL.

You may have legal remedies under North Carolina State Law, it's not acceptable or legal to knowingly sell a new product with numerous defects. You might even be able to demand total replacement of your TT with another unit even after this much time has passed. In any case keep very detailed records of what happened when and what you have done about it. At a minimum if you raise a ruckus there is a good chance you will get your costs covered for resolving the problems, even if you were not able to give the Winnebago dealer who sold you the TT a chance to resolve under warranty due to where you were when the problems happened.

I hope the CEO and other leadership in Minnesota does something before the quality reputation is totally gone. Perhaps the management of the Winnebago brand TT manufacturing division needs to be assigned to Grand Design, who seems to know how to manage producition and dealers to get a quality product out to their customers.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We bought a new Winnebago intent 26m in January ,first timers ,everything has been broke,dash ac,roof ac,propane lines,we have self leveling system and the box that runs it was totally rusted out,spent a month at the dealership,bill plemmons rv world,Winnebago said they wouldn’t replace it,so they contacted lippert ,they said they would this one time but it should be somewhere where no moisture could get to it,all Winnebago tells me is to take it and get stuff fixed,been there 4 different times,150 miles round trip,I’ve been thinking of contacting a lawyer,you can’t have this much stuff breaking on something new,we are beyond disappointed
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:32 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

It is rare but it does happen that "lemon law" can apply to an RV and occasionally a lawyer may help. My opinion is the RV industry is more honest than the legal industry right now. I just despise the thought of needing an attorney. Money, they live for money. Yes I know, there are good attorneys out there working to defend and prosecute every day and some of the others I call ambulance chasers should have been something else.

Suck it up, breathe, enjoy being in Montana - beautiful state, especially love Glacier NP, Two Medicine.

I know for a fact every RV in our signature line had "new rig" issues. Some were bad, some were simple, some really annoying and one caused us to sell/trade fast after four or so months at Red Bay but we got a very favorable trade with no attorney at all. Unless you have a certified really bad rig with issues that are not repairable try to get them repaired and yes, it is a part of new RV purchase experience.

I can't even say how much fun it was getting the air cond replaced on this rig, compressor banging into copper tubing - bam bam bam when it ran. Well the shop replaced our heat pump with an air only model. Turned on heat pump - oops, no heat. Went back, got it replaced again and I think they did it right this time, at least it is a heat pump and the papers say it is the right model. Then a lengthy series of events including fridge replacement. Now it is all pretty much worked out and we have been enjoying the rig since.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Site Team

I hope no one interpreted my post to mean that RV problems were something to simply accept. My goal is to help provide a realistic look at RV ownership. People new to RVing simply are not prepared for the things that can and do go wrong right from the start.

As for lawyers and lemon laws that's really not appropriate to this discussion. The list of issues and the severity of the issue reported in this thread - while regrettable - are not life threatening, they don't undermine the overall value or usage of the RV. His axle didn't fall off or his frame crack in two.

What we see here many times is frustration and despair from the folks that have issues that were never expected and even worse not fully supported by their dealers.

I've owned 5 RVs: 3 travel trailers, a Class C and now a Class A. They are from 3 different manufacturers. All purchased brand new. Through this experience I've learned that SADLY... UNFORTUNATELY... things go wrong, many times immediately after delivery, and dealers care only about sales and not service.

I can't change this. I have no sway over dealerships or manufacturers. (And, buying some other brand won't help. All brands have these issues) So, I choose to live with it the best I can with an eye toward not letting this situation ruin my enjoyment of the RV. I hope with my posts here to help folks that experience problems and I try to gently manage expectations to help new RVers understand the realities (sometimes unpleasant) of RV ownership today.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to rant, complain, call in legal help, fight with dealership and manufacturers that's fine. But to me, that simply ruins the entire experience and I'd rather not own something that makes me that unhappy. So, I fix what needs fixed - no matter how or at what cost - and then I take my RV across this country and have a blast.

PS. I'm leaving on a 3,800 mile trip next Wed. As of today... everything is working on my RV.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Powercat, thank you for your sincere but discouraging remarks in regards to our Winnebago campers and what is apparently lousy at best quality control. I have tried reaching out to the Winnebago home office in hopes of getting some kind of decent reply. I called yesterday and no luck. I called again and no luck. Now it is after 1700 hours in Indiana, so no callback today. This just keeps getting better and better. I thought I was purchasing a well respected Winnebago product, but apparently, I made a bad and expensive mistake.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:19 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I have found Winnebago fairly responsive to problems. Rather than call email them and they usually respond within a few days. The other option is to make a list, an appt. at the factory and go there to get eveything fixed.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg502 View Post
Powercat, thank you for your sincere but discouraging remarks in regards to our Winnebago campers and what is apparently lousy at best quality control. I have tried reaching out to the Winnebago home office in hopes of getting some kind of decent reply. I called yesterday and no luck. I called again and no luck. Now it is after 1700 hours in Indiana, so no callback today. This just keeps getting better and better. I thought I was purchasing a well respected Winnebago product, but apparently, I made a bad and expensive mistake.
I don't think you made a bad and expensive mistake. After the first year or so, these bugs will all be worked out and you will begin to love the experience, I predict.

At first I fought with the dealers and the warranty, on a 37 item punch list of problems. What a relief when the warranty ran out. Then I could just begin to learn to repair most things myself, find a good local guy for the rest, and put the dealer in the rear view mirror.

You are not alone, you did not make a mistake, it will get better! Not that you won't always have at least a 10 item fix it list - it's the nature of the hobby!

I agree with you PowerCat's analysis - but I bet we've all got a list...
Old 09-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Smile

nProtected markets lead to poor quality due to lack of real competitive quality control and customer service initiatives. But if the buyer is more than happy to consider a rite of passage into a new hobby to pay megabucks and get bad quality that gives more power to the assembler of rigs. Well off the soap box I go.

Do check the lemon laws in your state. Give the dealer one or two more tries to fix every thing, camp near by to get all items attended to and carry on. Some day an assembler will come along with great product and great service and warranty and put all the spongers off the market. Till then it is what it is.
PS it was not one of those mega off roaders, more like almost a normal Class C- or B+ with purchase price in line with many of ours here. No nose bleed prices.

This afternoon I stumbled on to a video of a german class B+ that was quality built on a 4x4 chasis. The whole rig is quality built with water proof storage compartments fully immersible in water like while crossing a river! Yea the rig has a snorkle and the video was shot after about 20K miles of heavyduty use. Gotta tell ya I woulda bought it for new it was that good. drawers that can hold 40 lbs and open all the way, all tanks insulated and winter proof plumbing. No particle board at all. The shell was made of pannels that do not have ply backing to bubble and delaminate! Even the interior was well immaculate. No rattler anywhere. It was german made, the couple is on a global trip, it fits in a shipping container for shipping!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
I have found Winnebago fairly responsive to problems. Rather than call email them and they usually respond within a few days. The other option is to make a list, an appt. at the factory and go there to get eveything fixed.
I'm not a Winn owner, but an American consumer, and if you have to wait "a few days", or if you expect that they will respond within, "a few days", and think that making a factory appointment will be any better managed from a time perspective, you're dreaming, IMO.

You didn't buy a $1,000 washing machine, you bought a brand name that should live up to their hard-fought reputation. Tossing out poor QC along with pro-longed wait times for anything related to CS is just wrong.

Out of perspective, and not meaning to bash brand names, but I have a 20-year old motor home that Fleetwood made, and now the REV group runs, but if I make a phone call or send an e-mail, those bad boys answer the phone and solve my question. Mine might be worth a lot less that what your new buyer's paid, but it doesn't break or give surprises, and I'd hope that a brand like Winnegego would do as much for their customers as Fleetwood does for theirs.

You deserve it.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Truth!
Dottie2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Sorry you are having issues, I also own the 2106FBS. This is a well made solid travel trailer compared to many others out there. I agree with a previous post on the stabilizers, they are not for leveling. Get the bugs worked out and I think you will be happy. I have found out that you do learn as you go......��
copperhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #16
PIC
Winnebago Owner

Luck us! '17 2106fbs

We bought our '17 in '18 and by the time we get back to FL (in SD now) we will over the 2 years have put over 25,000 mostly trouble free miles on it. We would buy this model over and over again.

I follow the reviews. Unfortunately they're full of complaints which over time I find are rooted in not understanding a unit's capacities and after the sale frustrations due to lack of proper research.

Fortunately for us our minor problems have been self solved. Waiting 6 weeks to get into a dealer for a minor simply because it's under warranty is a waste of my time. Again, after years of reading, research, and eyeballing RVs I feel fortunate that we are in a TT. Seems to me that most negative reviews come from the other more complicated classes.

So, in conclusion understand what your in. For us it's a great 2 person 1 dog unit. It tows like it's not even back there. Backs in easy. Sets up / breaks down easy. Only reduces my Tundra's mpg 30%. Easy and cheaper to store. And on and on.

BTW, never hit the road without checking your tire pressure or your asking for a REAL problem. Happy travels
PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crg502 View Post

I, too, have met Winnebago TT owners who have not been happy with QC. This holds true for their line of motor coaches of all classes. So sad because Winnebago was once the leader in QC.

As far as the jacks go. I think others have stated that they are stabilizers and not jacks. When I was TTing I would lower the jacks in the rear and adjust them to level the trailer when I ran the hitch jack. If I was too far off level I would put boards under the low side tire. I realize this is a common practice and, by no means, do I think you missed this method. Blocking is common is all I am saying. Trying to use the stabilizers to jack just won't work. When you are ready to pack up, drop the front to take the pressure off the jacks.

IMHO, if you are handy, fix whatever you can yourself. You will be happier in the long run. So often folks will return their camper to the dealer for warranty service and get it back some long time later with little to nothing resolved. Sad but true.

The shakedown cruse is always a good idea. Many recommend camping near the dealer for a week or two. That way you have easy access to the services needed. But, 20/20 hindsight is not what you need now.

Hope you can enjoy the rest of your wonderful trip in spite of your TT troubles.

Rick
Old 10-19-2019, 11:25 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I hope no one interpreted my post to mean that RV problems were something to simply accept. My goal is to help provide a realistic look at RV ownership. People new to RVing simply are not prepared for the things that can and do go wrong right from the start.

As for lawyers and lemon laws that's really not appropriate to this discussion. The list of issues and the severity of the issue reported in this thread - while regrettable - are not life threatening, they don't undermine the overall value or usage of the RV. His axle didn't fall off or his frame crack in two.

What we see here many times is frustration and despair from the folks that have issues that were never expected and even worse not fully supported by their dealers.

I've owned 5 RVs: 3 travel trailers, a Class C and now a Class A. They are from 3 different manufacturers. All purchased brand new. Through this experience I've learned that SADLY... UNFORTUNATELY... things go wrong, many times immediately after delivery, and dealers care only about sales and not service.

I can't change this. I have no sway over dealerships or manufacturers. (And, buying some other brand won't help. All brands have these issues) So, I choose to live with it the best I can with an eye toward not letting this situation ruin my enjoyment of the RV. I hope with my posts here to help folks that experience problems and I try to gently manage expectations to help new RVers understand the realities (sometimes unpleasant) of RV ownership today.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to rant, complain, call in legal help, fight with dealership and manufacturers that's fine. But to me, that simply ruins the entire experience and I'd rather not own something that makes me that unhappy. So, I fix what needs fixed - no matter how or at what cost - and then I take my RV across this country and have a blast.

PS. I'm leaving on a 3,800 mile trip next Wed. As of today... everything is working on my RV.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I do like your positive-in-the-face-of-adversity, sir. You are a glass half full, guy. When you feel that as an owner of a 'problematic' RV, you are at the depths of despair...folks, there is only one way that you can go...and that is up...one by one, knock off the deficiencies in your RV...tune it..peak it, own it. Then, it truly then, becomes the mission deliverer, of what you wanted from out of the box...a vehicle that offers you freedom to settle it down for the night in any part of North, Central, and South America...your choice...

Unless there is rampant water damage within a TT, any thing else can be Re and RE'd...been there, done that...heck, I owned my 2018 1706FB for only three weeks, and one night, the entire bed frame we were sleeping on...decided to head down into the storage locker. I have screens that sit 1/8 to 1/4 inch away from the surrounding window frame, and have had to silicone the gap. Stuff like that...but, wouldn't give up my 1706FB for anything...especially when I pull into a site by a lake, by a river...by the ocean...drop the stabilizers...connect the services...and enjoy a nice glass of wine, under the extended awning. Problems...yep, have a few...but ah..to get away from LIFE's problems...an RV will do that for ya...

Hang in there, sir...tackle each deficiency...until everything is ship shape...and then, it all gets really easy to point your tow vehicle to the next new destination. That's...the heart and soul of RV'ing...chasing the sun....

Cheers,
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I'm sorry to have to agree about 2019 micro minnie quality

I bought my 2019 Micro Minnie used, but less than a year old. The previous owner had a family tragedy and sold it to me. The rear camera never made it out of the driveway before it died, but that is Furion's problem. Several other problems cropped up, but the warranty doesn't transfer. I fixed undercarriage supports falling off because Winnebago, when building it, broke off cheap bolts, re-drilled new holes, then broke another leaving only one rusty bolt to hold it (which eventually broke too). I had to replace all undercarriage bolts with stainless steel and rust reform and paint rusty mounts and stabilizers. Now the wiring to the lights has decayed so I only get 10.35 volts fed to my rear camera mount causing my camera to malfunction. I can't access the wiring without tearing out the back bathroom wall, or cutting a big gaping hole. Also, the seals (white tape) on the pop-out is leaking. The window screws are rusting out ON THE INSIDE!!! I can't figure out why these are rated so highly. If all travel trailers are, as you say, like this I'll have to build my own next time. Maybe someone will start a company with real quality.
gregdiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:18 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

What quality

Hey RV buyers are like dope addicts.
Yes they will buy the dope no matter how bad it is!
They will take abuse because they have been trained well to appreciate tiny scraps of attention bigly.
They will gladly wait for months to have their new unit serviced before they can start using, it. But if the dealer can't fix it they will drag their arses to the manufacturer location and giddly wait for their turn to have their unit fixed and put in the condition it was supposed to be in when bought some 4 or 6 months after the payments have been going out!

But the customers are like dopeheads and cannot just cannot live without an RV, I ought to know I am one! Yep a big dope head er RV addict. Had new ones, old ones, all classes and some that spanned classes but its always the same design issues, build issues, lack of centralized warranty, lack of warranty service facilities......... the beat goes on and on.