Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hey Backyard Mechanics- Has anyone ever removed or changed the rear shocks on late model DP. I've changed several on gassers but this looks like a humdinger of a job. If the rear wheels were removed it would be a piece of cake, but removing the wheels would be a task in itself. Thanks for any forsite. I've been told Konis are the way to go to eliminate the rock & roll.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
2001 Jeep Wrangler
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hey Backyard Mechanics- Has anyone ever removed or changed the rear shocks on late model DP. I've changed several on gassers but this looks like a humdinger of a job. If the rear wheels were removed it would be a piece of cake, but removing the wheels would be a task in itself. Thanks for any forsite. I've been told Konis are the way to go to eliminate the rock & roll.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Old 12-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Wagonmaster2,

Haven't worked the shocks but if roll is the issue then check out what the boys from Hendersons Suspension have come up with.

http://www.supersteersuperstop.com/ss-newproducts1.htm

Me thinks they will be about $400 for front and rear on an XC chassis.

I'm thinking of trying them but if you go for them first let us know how they do.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Henderson's was my first thought. I tried a couple of posts to see if anyone had any first hand experience with the Motion Control Units, but all I got was advise to change the shocks first. Several said the Koni shocks will take care of the roll, so I thought it might be easier and less risky to change the shocks instead of cutting the air lines to install the Motion Control Units. The shocks can be taken back off if don't work but it would be difficult to remove the Control Units once the air line has been cut. I'd still like to hear some first hand experience with the Henderson Units. I guess whoever trys them first will let the rest know. But surely someone out there has them on. 3-T RV Accessory has a solution to the roll problem but I can't tell from reading their web page what it is or how it works. If I remember right they are located in Lake Havesau (sic) Ariz. I understand both company's are priced in the $400 range.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 12-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

That is not a job I want! I talked to Henderson a few days ago and I think the Konis' were about $150 each installed - I could be 25 or 50 bucks high - don't remember exactly.

I'm still pondering going to Koni shocks. It has been very difficult to find people that have a lot of experience with the Freightliner IFS chassis. You guys with the straight axle front end have a lot of products and a large body of expertise to draw from out there.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Wagonmaster: Backyard mechanics check out 3tsrv.com... If you are going to change out the shocks, set them up at a better angle. The Anti-Rock Kit is worth the research and call to 3ts.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Gary CA,

Are you running with the 3tsrv system? I checked out their website and also spoke with them. They offered a 30 day 'if you don't like it return it" policy. About $300 delivered. They are using Monroe shocks. Am seriously considering this system as well as the Supersteer. thanks for the heads up on this one.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 12-05-2005, 07:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Rick -

After talking to 3tsrv does the $300 cover front and back both or just one or the other? And is this an installed price? I haven't heard too much about Monroe shocks for DP, did they give you anything to indicate these might be a new development from Monroe? I wonder how they change the angle of the shocks, they are hard enough just to reach the nuts at each end of the shock
Old 12-06-2005, 03:14 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The $300 estimated (actually it was $289 discounted 10% plus AZ tax and shipping) rounded to $300 is for the rear only. Installation I believe was an addiditional $212 or there about.

Hope this helps.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 12-06-2005, 05:21 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Rick: I had 3ts install both the front anti-sway and the rear anti-rock on our coach. The rear kit includes brackets that set the shocks at the bottom at an inboard angle that controls the rocking. You would be impressed with the material the brackets are made of, 3ts has their own machine shop.

The front kit works great also to tighten up the steering control and the wandering, and makes driving more enjoyable. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Gary,

Did you have them replace the OEM shocks while they were at it? I am leaning towards the anti-rock kit to start and then maybe the front end later. I really don't have any problems with the handling of the front end right now. Probably since my last coach was on a Chevy P32 and it was terrible. Doesn't take much to please me now after that.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 12-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
WAS
Winnebago Watcher

wagonmaster2

Having just gone through this, I can tell you a few things I experienced when I changed out the stock Bilstiens with Konis and replaced all 6 tires with Goodyear G670's. As you probably know, the Konis are adjustable and getting to the rear pair without removing the rear tires is just about impossible. After lengthy conversations with the Koni product manager, I was advised that these shocks should be installed at the default from the factory setting (the softest setting). Don't believe it. My GVWR is 24,850 on an XC Freightliner chasis and the shocks at this setting was like having no shocks at all.

I then had the shocks all the way around set to maximum compression (yes this required the removal of the rear tires). I had previously replaced the tires and with this combination the coach rides like a Lexus (I know I have an LX-470). It has completely eliminated the slight porposing that occured when the front axel was lightly weighted (low on fuel), but the slight rear side to side oscilation remains and I think can only be cured by check valves in the airbag lines.

The combination of these shocks and tires has transformed this DP into a true joy to drive. I may add the check valves and a steering stabilizer at some point in the future, but right now it would just be to tweak it up a little further.

Hope this helps,

Bill
WAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:24 PM   #13
WAS
Winnebago Watcher

Sorry, I thought my rig info automatically posted. For the record;

1999 Chieftian 36' DP Freightlines Rigid Axel
1999 Honda CRV
WAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:03 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks Bill - you've confirmed just what I was afraid of. I figured the installation of new shocks would be done by me and it certainly doesn't look easy on the back. Then if they have to be pulled back off the re-adjust, that would double the fun. I'm glad to know they need to be set to maximum (my rig is about 26,000). The fellow from Rallysrus over the phone says he installs all four air line control valves in about 15minutes. Then I should be able to do it in a couple hours, this may be an easier way to go first then check on shocks later if necessary. Thanks again for the first hand experience.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 12-07-2005, 04:28 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Rick: Yes, 3ts replaced the OEM shocks for me. I was amazed to see the tech compress a rear shock just by using his two hands. The shock did not rebound. The coach had about 8k miles on it at the time. Replace the shocks!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Gary,

I'm on it!

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 12-07-2005, 10:13 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Gary CA - What chassis is your 2004 34H Meridian on and what brand of shocks did it come with? My 2004 Meridian 36G is on a XC Freightliner chassis with Sachs (if I spelled it right) shocks. I've never heard of these but if they are the same as yours and the tech could compress them with his bare hands they must not be doing much of a job. As hard as the shocks are to even get to, did you see how they were able to get enough room to move the bottom of the shocks inboard any? Since this is a self-do project for me I don't want to get myself into something costly I can't use. Thanks.