Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #1
Shoregrass

Rattles

Bought a brand new 29VE this year. Most things are OK, EXCEPT... !

The interior has more rattles than a tin knockers shop. Among them... my driver's side seat belt anchor rattles like crazy, the stove rattles and squeaks,
the living-room TV wall anchor bracket rattles and the entry door has lots of errant noises when it's closed (both squeaks and rattles).

Anybody else have this kind of stuff on a new (5500 miles) Winnebago? Any suggestions?

Shoregrass
Shoregrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoregrass View Post

The interior has more rattles than a tin knockers shop. Among them... my driver's side seat belt anchor rattles like crazy, the stove rattles and squeaks,
the living-room TV wall anchor bracket rattles and the entry door has lots of errant noises when it's closed (both squeaks and rattles).

Anybody else have this kind of stuff on a new (5500 miles) Winnebago? Any suggestions?

Shoregrass

You can hear all that over the wind and engine noise? (Just kidding).

We have all sorts of random squeaks, etc. I just found this week that there are (supposed to be) some rubber grommets where the stove-top rack sits in the stove-top itself. They were all stuck down under the stove-top broken. I was able to pop 2 of them back in but need to order new.

The door try to put some electrical tape on the strike bolt. It won't last long but should stop the noise there.

I think a lot of it is just search and destroy as you can and hope to figure something out. We have a huge cache of the plate/pan protectors that sit between everything when stored. That helps keep some sound down too.

Oh and a funny from my wife as I was explaining your woes. She said that "he must not have the radio turned up loud enough." LOL
Old 10-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our first trip was truly a "shake-down cruise". It lead to repacking and isolating everything, adding a magnet to keep the fold-down table from swing open on right hand turns, adding "locktite" to screws/bolts coming loose. We also remove screens that rattle, locked basement doors (not just latch) and duct taping the refrigerator closed.

Better now but not quiet.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My wife takes our dish towels and use them for squeaks from the stove top. As others have mentioned, she also uses the cheap mat rolls you can buy at WalMart to put dishes, silverware, food and such on to minimize noise. Lots of creative imagination comes into play to silence the motorhome going down the road! Good luck!

Al
Old 10-30-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

For those with rattling stovetop grills, one of the first things we bought for our Minnie Winnie 2 years ago was a wood topper from Camping World that is made specifically for the stovetop. In addition to keeping the grill quiet, it essentially adds more counter space. It has soft rubber feet that keep it in place and had held tight on 4 trips up and down the Alaska Highway.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We fold a bath towel in half and place it under the stove cover. Everything else, we just put up with! We get used to it! LOL!
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
Site Team

"Search and destroy" is the best terminology. We've all done it. We've been successful at eliminating a great many squeaks and rattles.

The televator on our main TV made a horrible squeak. It was loud even fully retracted (we always drive with the tv down). I tried things everywhere to no avail, then one day found two metal parts that rubbed when the tv shook. I put a piece of plastic between the two and... ah, silence.

The door - both squeaks and rattles were there. I found the bottom panel of the screen door was floating in the door frame. And due to it's shape was like a drum. I put a bead of clear silicone around the panel where it contacts the screen door frame. Booming rattle gone.

The strike bolt is a major squeaker. Folks say electrical tape works. But I've started greasing mine with a light grease and that works well. BTY, I tried the tape, but it was after I started greasing it and no matter how much I cleaned couldn't get the tape to stick to the pin.

Between the stove cover AND between the stove top and the pan grates I put black double sided foam tape. Works a treat.

Any more when I hear a squeak while driving I ask my wife to walk back and see if she can locate where it's coming from. Then I'll start working on a fix at the next gas, lunch or nightly stop.

You can't win them all but you can make it much more livable
Old 11-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
You can hear all that over the wind and engine noise? (Just kidding).

We have all sorts of random squeaks, etc. I just found this week that there are (supposed to be) some rubber grommets where the stove-top rack sits in the stove-top itself. They were all stuck down under the stove-top broken. I was able to pop 2 of them back in but need to order new.

The door try to put some electrical tape on the strike bolt. It won't last long but should stop the noise there.

I think a lot of it is just search and destroy as you can and hope to figure something out. We have a huge cache of the plate/pan protectors that sit between everything when stored. That helps keep some sound down too.

Oh and a funny from my wife as I was explaining your woes. She said that "he must not have the radio turned up loud enough." LOL
My door also has same problem, got this spray foam seal lube from rv shop problem solved
journey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

29VE rattles

Welcome to the Winnebago rattle pit, which is like playing whack a mole.
You fix one rattle and another pops up. There are great recommendations in this string. The best advice is to take one annoying noise at a time even though they are all irritating.

Perhaps the noise remedies we found will provide some support.
1. Door rattles. Seems so simple, but there are lots of points that create noise. Tackle each point with insulation, glue, sealants or rubber spacers at points of movement. We have put rolled socks between the exterior door and the outer door.

2. Engine noise. No advice other than buy a diesel.

3. Stove rattles. No pots and pans inside if you have an oven.

4. Under-carriage noise and road stability. Sumo shocks and steering stabilizer made a huge difference in driving control and overall noise.

We traded our 29ve this year for a Winnebago Forza 38F. There are noise issues with the new coach as well. I suspect noise issues are just endemic with motorhomes regardless of who builds the coach.

Good luck my friend. The good news is that the noise does stop when you park.

Quote:

Shoregrass
Papa Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Shoregrass

We have the same problem with our new 27N. A couple of things that we found were the slim-rack rails on our dinette slide and the dinette table.These would make a loud bang when we hit a hole, of which there are many in our decrepit California roads. A piece of foam between the rails and the slide side (make sure you remember to remove before sliding) and lowering the dinette table to rest on the seats when traveling eliminated those. There's a squeak coming from our stove that the DW says is coming from the mounting, not anything on or in the oven. The door also squeaked which I think I solved by putting silicone spray on the rubber seals.