Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2013, 08:23 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackspot1 View Post
To many quality control issues with Winnebago. We bought a new 2012 off the lot and have had it at three different service centers authorized by Winnebago. 27 different quality control issues that range from slide outs not operating, cabinets cracking, floor tiles with dents in them, wardrobe door not sliding, rust in kit sink cavity, electrical issues, screws coming through sides, fuel over-flow tube, storage doors not fitting correctly and way more. So I guess I would say I am not a big Winnebago fan. We like the floor plan and the D-A engine but just really tired of doing their work for them. We will not buy another Winnebago product and I am actually doing research on buying another manufactures rig in this price range. Presently have a 2012 Itasca Meridian 34Y Diesel Pusher.
Please put your list together and email it to Winnebago with a polite note. I know many that have tried to do this with a nastygram attached just to get ignored. The factory needs to be shown that the quality control issues are causing their future sails to fall off. I hope they improve to what they used to be. At the moment they are developing a poor reputation for quality control.

I hope everything is corrected in a timely fashion. Happy trails.
Rick
Old 12-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

<Some of our 1,000s of questions include, why did you choose a Winnebago/Itasca?
After rather extensive research and hands-on personal inspections we concluded that it would be difficult or impossible to beat the "bang for the bucks" in the same price range. We believed build quality, customer satisfaction, and customer support were among the best. We focused in on Winnebago and Newmar, and liked Winnebago better. Then we found a dealer show coach we liked, at a deal we could handle. We have looked at many coaches since, and never really been tempted to trade. We have over 80k on a ten yr old rig that has served us well. In the early years, I communicated with Owner Relations by phone and/or email when we had issues. Some they helped me resolve, and some they referee to dealers ...and some were about problems with dealers which were always quickly resolved.

<What do you like most about your rig and what do you like least?
We really like the floor plan and decor, build quality, and dependability.
We don't like shortcuts like woodwork and/or body panels (and headlights!) mounted w/double-wided tape or glue that eventually turns loose.

<Would you buy a Winnebago/Itasca again, and, if not, what would you buy?
Likely so if a smaller rig. Less likely for a dp as Winnie currently has no side radiator dp's. Others at the top of our list would be Tiffin and previously a owner Foretravel.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

The biggest problem that we have faced as we fulltime is getting service. What I have found is that Winnebago service people are well trained and know the ins and outs of there product. I also belive that in the intermountain west it is easier to find a Winnebago dealer with service than a lot of other makes. Like any motorhome things do go wrong. Like what other have said Winnebago has the parts for there coaches. If not like a screen that I needed they have the ability to have it maid and get it to you. They also have diagrams of there coach's electrical and other systems that you can get off of the internet. On an older coach this is important. There are lots of users and like on this forum they have a lot of knowledge that can help one out when facing a problem.
I also like the way they build them. It impresses me when I work on our motohome how well they are built. When you start digging around in one you can see this. All though I am not anticipating trading for a newer unit I would definitely look first to Winnebago for a unit that fit my lifestyle.

Neil
for36rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #24
OWV
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
<Some of our 1,000s of questions include, why did you choose a Winnebago/Itasca?
After rather extensive research and hands-on personal inspections we concluded that it would be difficult or impossible to beat the "bang for the bucks" in the same price range. We believed build quality, customer satisfaction, and customer support were among the best. We focused in on Winnebago and Newmar, and liked Winnebago better. Then we found a dealer show coach we liked, at a deal we could handle. We have looked at many coaches since, and never really been tempted to trade. We have over 80k on a ten yr old rig that has served us well. In the early years, I communicated with Owner Relations by phone and/or email when we had issues. Some they helped me resolve, and some they referee to dealers ...and some were about problems with dealers which were always quickly resolved.

<What do you like most about your rig and what do you like least?
We really like the floor plan and decor, build quality, and dependability.
We don't like shortcuts like woodwork and/or body panels (and headlights!) mounted w/double-wided tape or glue that eventually turns loose.

<Would you buy a Winnebago/Itasca again, and, if not, what would you buy?
Likely so if a smaller rig. Less likely for a dp as Winnie currently has no side radiator dp's. Others at the top of our list would be Tiffin and previously a owner Foretravel.
We went to the Hershey show convinced that we would probably by an Itasca. Our neighbors have one and we liked it for many of the same reasons you listed. At the show Newmar got added to the list, and we looked at Tiffin on the first day, as well as everything else that was at the show, except for Entegra. After that first day, we had narrowed our choices down to Newmar and Winnebago/Itasca. There was just something about the Tiffin which kept it off our list. Obviously Tiffin is very good, it just didn't make the cut. We realized that we hadn't looked at Entegra and thought we should before making a final decision. We very much liked what we saw and in the end, bought an Entegra Aspire. There are pros and cons with each coach, but in the end, for us, at least, Entegra came out ahead on the things that were important to us: chasis, construction, fit and finish. We liked the floor plan, the Entegra people we met at the show and the dealer, RVOne, who represented Entegra at the show. Oh, and the price was right. I only mention all of this to encourage anyone who is looking, but who doesn't have Entegra on their radar screen to give their line a look. You may not buy one, but you won't be disappointed that you looked. Good luck.

Regards,
OWV, Our Wondering View
Entegra Aspire 44U, on order
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

AFChap, as I stated above, communicate with Winnebago. I, for one, can not disagree more with the idea the Winnebago dealer service centers have well trained, good and qualified service folks. I have experienced major disappointment in this area from coast to coast.

When Winnebago, or most manufactures, ship a coach they expect the dealer to inspect the coach, write a 'punch list' and have a qualified detailing crew put things as intended. This art as fallen away for some reason. I read, over and over, folks such as you who have a flock of, often minor, issues that should have never left the dealership.

Every coach has the potential of having a major component not function soon after delivery. Things go wrong with use. But on the first try? I consider this poor dealer prep and the manufacturer gets the brunt of the blame. Some is justified but, in my opinion, if the dealers did their pre delivery corrections appropriately the manufactures would not be blamed for more than they deserve.

When you get a chance take a 'working' vacation to Forest City, IA. If you have not joined WIT do so and go the the Grand National Rally. We are still trying to get there and will one of these years. Do a irv2 search on this topic.

Look forward to hearing more from you as your trails wander and your adventures expand.

Happy and safe trails,
Rick

Tags
forum, itasca, winnebago