Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question would you buy another Winnebago

I'm pretty new to the MH game and we're in the research mode, with our choice of coach we'd like to get to full time in being Itasca Ellipse 40cd or the 42qd

From reading the forum I'm starting to get a little gunshy, we've only had a trailer and a 5'er so far, but the amount of issues we've had we're very minimal and most much easier for me to fix than to drive the hour to take to the shop,

I know on these forums you don't hear as much from people who are real happy with therre coaches as we do from those with problems.

So my question is if you we're in the market today would you buy from Winnebago again.

Thanks Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Of course!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You bet. Our 07 Ellipse 40FD is the first and only RV we've ever owned. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Winnie based upon the outstanding support I've received from my dealer, Winnie Tech Support, and the factory.... AND based on my experiences with the coach. We now full time in it and have logged over 32,000 miles and 800 nights in it.

This is not to say we haven't had to have a LOT of things fixed and done a LOT of work on it ourselves. I believe that one's degree of satisfaction with their coach is heavily influenced by their expectations... and my experiences on this and other forums (fora?) support that conclusion.

I'm in the camp that believes that modern motorhomes are extremely complicated environments. In an attempt to provide a product of value, make a profit and satisfy their shareholders, most coach manufacturers try to the best of their abilities to produce a trouble free product. But, it's just not possible at a price most of us will pay. The abilities of some are better than those of others.... I guess a big reason Winnie is still around after over four decades.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you expect not to have many "issues" which will need to be addressed, you may be disappointed with either of those beautiful new coaches. The first winter in our coach we spent in Indio, Ca as the "poor kids on the block" nestled in between countless BIG BUCK coaches. I played golf with, drank beer with and got to know quite a few of these folks and it seemed to me that they had just as many "issues" as I did. The difference is that Marathon would send a tech to their site to address the issue and I have to take mine to a dealer.

Many feel that for the prices charged for new coaches we should expect more. Perhaps, but that's not the reality I see. For the most part the issues are minor... irritating, but minor. We purchased an extended warranty so we wouldn't have to worry about "the unknown". I may or may not buy another one but I'm glad I bought this one for our first coach. For less than 2% of your purchase price I would think you could make the issue moot.

Hang in there!!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I would purchase another Winnebago if I was in the market for a new Coach.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I am on my third Winnebago and would buy a fourth primarily because of my association with Winnebago Itasca Travellers (WIT). The new CEO of Winnebago has not yet impressed me and WIT has cut back on their personel and raised their caravan prices. Today I payed a $3000. repair bill to Freightliner for repairs which should not have happened, so I am not real happy.

Don,Wit 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

after enduring the winnebago/workhorse/bosch brake fiasco, i would seriously look at tiffin coaches when purchasing a replacement for my winnebago.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:27 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If I were buying I would consider a Winnebago product again. Joe
Old 11-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I am on my fourth. Have been satisfied with all and would certainly buy a Winnie again. In their price range they are a fine product, not that you won't have some problems, but their customer service and quality of the company is very good.
Good Luck.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

This is my first. I am very happy even if it is 10 years old. It's held up this long, they must be doing something right! Yes I would buy another Winnebago.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

YEP!
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Yep. On my 2nd. Very minor issues and Owners Relations is first class in responding.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Sure would!

Just curious:
What does the Workhorse brake recall have to do with Winnebago?
What do repairs on a Freightliner chassis have to do with Winnebago?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Sure would!

Just curious:
What does the Workhorse brake recall have to do with Winnebago?
What do repairs on a Freightliner chassis have to do with Winnebago?

You might not blame WInnie for those issues (chassis or brakes) but if they are part of the package/bundle you get with the MH, then you certainly must consider them as part of the buying decision. Unlike a bad set of tires, you can't simply switch out a frame. That's not to say Winnie itself is bad but when you incorporate other manufacturers into the design/build process and they have flawed design or poor service your end product will suffer. In this instance, guilt by association is a valid point.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Yes! I would buy another Winnie. I LOVE my 2003 Minnie.

I notice a lot fewer problems are posted on the Winnebago Forum than on the other manufacturer forums. (When I log on I go to "New Posts" instead of just one forum. That way I get to see it all.) I also notice alot more problems are posted Re the Class A's than the Class C's. I guess they are just more complicated. That said; for the money, the Winnebagos give you the most for your dollar, in real value.

ed
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I most definitely would purchase another Winnebago. This is my second and my DW just loves this coach.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Yes,

I would happily buy another Winnebago.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

I would consider purchasing another Winnebago.

There are many things that contribute to the mind set when purchasing a MH. We have owned our Winnebago for 2 years now, and yes, we also had the fix-it things. However, on our stay at a service facility (Guaranty RV) in Oregon I noticed that there was many varying brands from pop-ups to a Prevost in the service bays, and awaiting some kind of repair. So, fix-its are not stuck to any one brand, they all have their problems from time to time.

If you go back many years to the 60-70's and you told someone you had a motorhome, the would exclaim, "Oh! You have a Winnebago?" In 1966 Winnebago built their first MH, In '77 they reached 100,000 units sold, and in '86 200,000 units sold. There popularity had gained momentum. I would bet there there were almost as many fix-its back then as there are today, and with all brands.

Yes, I would consider buying another Winnebago, but I would also consider buying many other brands. I'm going to shop around, and based on DW's impression and cost, will be the way I decide.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #18

Having owned 7 motorhomes. The last 3 Winnebagos . My opion Is The Winnebago Is for the money/service faceilities, Your best Buy;; Go for IT:: life is so good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
rf4
Winnebago Watcher

I would buy another Winnebago. As someone else said, yes we have had a few issues in our 9 y/o Minnie Winnie, but when you take basically a house, put it on wheels and drive it down the road, you have to expect maintenance! Add to that, we take it into the Calif desert boondocking... of course some things will get knocked around! We (knock on wood) have never had major issues with our rig and use it quite a bit. We take it out at least once a month, all year round.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

You bet I would, in a heartbeat. The diff in winn and other mfg(IMO) is when something breaks, they fix it. They dont try to blame anyone and everyone else for the problem. Things will break but its how a mfg handles it that is the diff.