Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

With the talk of the new models just introduced and the seeming success of the bunk model 35J, I think I'll share a thought I've had for a while.

Instead of a front passenger seat and a recliner behind it, I'd like to see a floorplan with two forward facing bench seats, with seat belts. It'd give the kids who sleep in the bunks someplace to ride belted in, and be able to see where they are going.

Make the front bench either flip over, or spin around to face the 2nd bench, flip up a table, and the kids now have someplace to eat too. And, of course, it'd fold down flat to an extra bed, should the bunks be full.

There were some models in the 70's with a dinette similar to what I'm thinking. So the idea isn't new, I just think it'd be a great addition to a motorhome with bunks.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

With the talk of the new models just introduced and the seeming success of the bunk model 35J, I think I'll share a thought I've had for a while.

Instead of a front passenger seat and a recliner behind it, I'd like to see a floorplan with two forward facing bench seats, with seat belts. It'd give the kids who sleep in the bunks someplace to ride belted in, and be able to see where they are going.

Make the front bench either flip over, or spin around to face the 2nd bench, flip up a table, and the kids now have someplace to eat too. And, of course, it'd fold down flat to an extra bed, should the bunks be full.

There were some models in the 70's with a dinette similar to what I'm thinking. So the idea isn't new, I just think it'd be a great addition to a motorhome with bunks.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 PM   #3

Ok....since there have been 90 views with no response, I'll be the first...

Here it is.....

I don't like it at all....If I wanted a van, I would have bought one. What would you do with the benches when you get to where you are going? Who wants to lug these things around? Who would even want them in your "living area"?

Just my $.02 worth, and I do appreciate people's ideas....I just think its NOT the reason we buy these things....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Tim, you're right in the 70s they did do the flip over bench seat from dinette to facing forward for passengers. I think why this fell from favor was comfort but also because families really didn't use motorhomes much. The market was us old ones. Maybe now with more families using the products the "powers" that be will come up with a new idea that is practical and comfortable. Seat belts can be added most anywhere I suppose so maybe that is the answer for now.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Check out the Safari Simba 37STS. It's not exactly what you are talking about, but probably as close as we are going to get in the '07 or '08 model years.

2007 Safari Simba 37STS
Mike in Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Maybe a variation could be a bucket for the driver, which I like better, then a two person bench where the passenger seat would normally be.

While this wouldn't interest me, with a mid-entry coach it may be do-able in some form...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I think my explaination lacked a bit. Driver's seat would be normal. Just think of taking a standard dinette and putting it in the right front. The front seat could be switched to face forward for travel. Might have to be slightly narrower than a standard dinette, maybe like the 34" one in the Journey 34H.

I think the 70's ones also failed because the whole thing was up on a platform, being well before the flat floor basement models came along.

Can you tell I'm anxious to see the new Destination and Vista floor plans?